Sigma 50-500mm + Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TC first test

eenymac

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 12:36
Yay! A sunny morning at last!

So, time to get out and test the Sigma 50-500mm HSM OS with my recently acquired Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x MC Teleconverter.

The first 3 shots of the pair of Teal were taken on the tripod, OS and SR both off and shooting into some strong light so images were fairly dark. However, the K5 always records plenty of detail so I just upped the exposure in PSE and they came out ok I think.

The other shots of the Blue Tit and Long Tailed Tit were all handheld with the SR off and the Lens OS switched on. Not too shabby at all.
All shots are uncropped.

One thing to note, the camera does not sense the TC so gives the Lens focal length without the 1.5x magnification, so I can't set to change the SR compensation, but the Lens OS does a very good job.

On the Teal shots, due to the strong lighting and contrast, autofocus hunted a bit but for the smaller birds with the sun begind me the autofocus locked on very quickly without any problem. Looks like this could be a good combo for some long reach up to 750mm.

Noticed dust spot showing up in shot number 4... time for a bit of cleaning I think!

johnwhit

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 14:04
Looks like a good combination you have there, nice set of images.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

pianoman

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 15:02
Great set and very impressive combination detail is brilliant thought provocitn for my new sigma perhaps
All the best

David
Last Edited by pianoman on 02/01/2012 - 15:03

Still27

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 19:10
Wow the quality of these shots is superb, now you have got me looking for a Kenko Pz-AF 1.5 TC.
Bill
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/

eenymac

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 20:28
Still27 wrote:
Wow the quality of these shots is superb, now you have got me looking for a Kenko Pz-AF 1.5 TC.

It took me 2 years to find one but the wait was worth it I think.

Just experimenting with it at the moment to figure out optimum settings but looks good so far with the Bigma. I was surprised how well they came out considering handholding the setup but the Lens OS coped very well.

fatspider

Link Posted 02/01/2012 - 20:37
TBH I think the first three are terrible, they just seem all wrong!

Having said that the remaining images appear to be a lot better quality than I got with my Bigma and the Sigma 1.4 T/C, which now lives in Finland with its new owner, fortunately its new owner didn't want it to use with a Bigma

I found cropping produced better images than using the T/C. I would be interested to see a 100% crop from this combination because as it stands the Kenko seems a better match than Sigmas own.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

dcweather

Link Posted 18/12/2012 - 00:44
I've got this combination with the Sigma 150-500mm and haven't used it a lot but it was ok. Need to do some strict testing now as I also have the DA* 300mm which it works quite well with although both tend to hunt a fair bit.
Dave
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.