Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Sigma 10 - 20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM - polarizing filter recommendations

co049
Posted 30/05/2014 - 16:45 Link
I’ve just bought a Sigma 10 - 20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM for use on my Pentax K3 and I’m looking at getting a polarizing filter for it, has anyone got any recommendation or experience with the various brands i.e Kood, Hoya B+W etc as there is a quite a difference between the prices for a 82mm filter.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!
JohnX
Posted 30/05/2014 - 17:02 - Helpful Comment Link
Polarising filters can/do cause odd effects on wa lenses, in particular with blue skies.

To answer your question, try Marumi, great price/quality balance.

link

Not the only sellers of course.
Edited by JohnX: 30/05/2014 - 17:08
johnriley
Posted 30/05/2014 - 17:03 - Helpful Comment Link
Using a polariser with an ultra-wide lens can give rise to striations in blue skies, as the polarisation changes with the change in angle from the sun.

These lenses also naturally vignette, so polarisers are less useful really.

If you still want one, expensive ones are more neutral in colour and will be of definitely better quality. An 82mm filter of any kind is a large piece of glass to make consistently well. B+W are of particularly high quality.
Best regards, John
Dodge69
Posted 30/05/2014 - 17:35 - Helpful Comment Link
I would agree would agree with the above and also add Sigma are quite clever and are aware of the vignetting and other issues with adding filters to their wide angle lenses. They add a some sort of coating I think, which gives images an almost polarized look already, lovely blue skies, particularly from the Sigma 8-16
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
co049
Posted 30/05/2014 - 18:25 Link
Thanks for the advice, I'll see how I get on with out one for a while.
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.