Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Shoddy customer service by Ricoh/Pentax

pschlute
Posted 10/02/2018 - 19:26 Link
RobL wrote:
You need Sikypix for pixel-shift images before exporting to Lightroom or whatever as otherwise there are odd artifacts. Apart from that I haven’t used it but maybe it’s worth a closer look.

Silkypix DS Pro processes pixel shift files just fine.

Go for the free trials available. The names of some of the tools can be a bit "interesting" but the manual is very extensive and you can call up the manual section for any tool/setting by using the "i" button.

As i said above the HDR tool i find I use a lot.
JAK
Posted 11/02/2018 - 01:20 Link
My issue with the Pentax's Silypix program is it is so slow to do anything compared to other editing programs. So yes, apart from the rare occasion for dealing with pixel shift I find it rather unproductive.
It's like the difference of running a program written in basic as opposed to something else written in assembly code (I'm going back to the 80's here!)
John K
Edited by JAK: 11/02/2018 - 01:23
giofi
Posted 11/02/2018 - 07:06 Link
mille19 wrote:

Algi, I think you're totally missing the point I'm not that bothered about the software.
I was just annoyed with the poor customer service and the couldn't care less attitude.

CD with software came with the camera, if cd is lost there is nothing we can do for you then.
That sounds to me like hard luck we couldn't care less.

I would report it to Pentax management and hopefully their reaction is different.
Most likely they have outsourced their help desk and this looks like somebody did a poor job.

But I also agree that an upgrade model that requires a cd in 2018 is obsolete, there are no excuses for that
nmw01223
Posted 18/04/2018 - 21:57 Link
Having just spent a frustrating evening trying to find software for a K-5 I have to side with those saying this approach to providing software is unhelpful.

Pentax are presumably trying to support a customer base, and keep them onside, which generally means supporting customers, not alienating them. If there is licencing limitation on how the software can be provided (not necessarily proven), Pentax must have signed up to it in the first place. I can only quote the example of the Samsung GX20 (Pentax K20D by another name): When I needed the software (Silkypix version customised for that model) for that, went to the Samsung website, downloaded it, installed it, and off it went. As simple as that. It is after all really part of the camera, not a standalone application - such as a wordprocessor - in its own right.

What would happen if the CD media failed? It is not unknown. I have contacted Pentax to see if I can get a new CD, it will be interesting to see what they say.

In the end I got the DCU5 utility going by using the suggestion made earlier in this thread about the installer media name. I have to say that I also installed a trial version of true Silkypix developer studio 8 along the way, Of the two, I felt the true Silkypix was way better - less sluggish, quicker to use, more intuitive. It costs about £50 - but I think it is well worth it.
JAK
Posted 18/04/2018 - 22:17 Link
If SilkyPix's terms with Pentax insisted that the software could only be supplied on CD with each camera and not for download, what would you suggest Pentax should have done? Violate that agreement?
John K

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.