Sensible M42 metered body to use today?

Algernon

Link Posted 20/04/2012 - 08:13
womble wrote:
As an ex-typographer, I just love the Gothic Y on the viewfinder housing.
K.

Mines the chrome one with the F, but I really like the
black one with the electronics logo link

-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 20/04/2012 - 08:13

ChrisR

Link Posted 20/04/2012 - 09:18
ChrisPlatt wrote:
ChrisR wrote:
You carry on using whatever battery you like, that makes you happy but please try to refrain from misleading others.

Please don’t start getting personal this forum is not for that,.
For the record, I am a British trained, industrial electrical engineer, you can not get better than that.

It seems you are the one misleading others as empirical evidence has shown the following to be true:

A modern 1.5V cell will provide accurate exposure readings in any Spotmatic series camera.
The readily available silver oxide variety will provide stable output and long service life.

Armchair theorizing aside, I suggest you swallow your pride and actually try one in your SPII.

If it matters I am an experienced professional electronic technician, working in the field for more than 25 years.
After completing technical school my first employment was in the field of camera repair for a major manufacturer.

Chris

I think you need to read my posts carefully before posting your reply, instead of picking bits out of context.
I have no need to swallow my pride, as my findings are correct.

Its time to move on, there is no point in continuing this as you have not posted any sound evidence, regarding the performance of various battery/cell types, other than going around in circles, making reference to the, Sliver Oxide cell.

Others reading through this thread can draw their own conclusions.

Take care, and carry on using the battery/cell you are happy with.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

johnha

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 00:31
Quick question about Spotmatics and the 50mm/1.4 SMC lenses: Are these compatible with all Spotmatics or does it depend on the colour of the 'R' on the rewind crank like the S1a?
PPG Flickr

Hardgravity

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 08:55
Good question John, I always assuned that any M42 lens could be used on any camera, pentax or otherwise.

I do know that some lenses that have a larger 'pin' can get jammed but...

... Kris?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 21/04/2012 - 08:55

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 09:05
All Spotmatics are fully compatible with the 50mm f1.4 lens. It's only the S1a that needs to have the right colour R on the rewind crank.

Cameras earlier than the S1a should not be used with the f1.4 lens.
Best regards, John

johnha

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 12:12
Thanks John,

The 50/1.4 I have has an obvious extension further into the camera beyond the rear of the mount. I have read that the original 8 element lens was redesigned to 7 elements to avoid the problem, although I don't know if this is correct?

John.
PPG Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 12:32
It's worth noting some exceptions to the total compatibility.

The instruction books for the ES and ESII apparently warn against using 50mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 Super takumar lenses that have counter-clockwise operating diaphragm rings. See page 113 of The Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide for fuller details.

The f1.4 lens mentioned was redesigned from 8 to 7 elements and the same book reports an improvement in image quality as a result.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 18:39
I've just acquired a SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I also have one of the late Auto Taks that looks the same as the early Super Taks with the counter-clockwise ring so I'll avoid using that on my ES/ESII.

Now to go and finish off my roll for "Roll in a Day" day before the light finally dies.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 04/06/2012 - 17:33
I was checking some older saved links and stumbled across this,
from the well-respected AOHC website: http://www.aohc.it/batte.htm

Please note the highlighted text...

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

Oso

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 13:32
If you are a Pentax purist, opt for the Spotmatic 1000, a genuine Spotmatic without a hot shoe and unchanged contour, this model brought to the end the era of the screwmount.

Oso

johnha

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 19:30
Hi Oso,

In the end I went for an SP1000, since added to with an SPII (bought because it came with a SMC-Tak 50mm f/1.4 lens) & SP (bought because it came with a Super-Tak 35mm f/3.5).

An un-scientific film test with an AG3 battery in the SP has shown the metering with this battery to be accurate enough for my working methods (usually metering off a mid-tone). As the cameras was new to me I checked the reading against my Sekonic L408B - slightly under, first, then went out shooting using only the camera. None of the resulting shots were badly exposed.

Photo sets from these and other recent 'first rolls' are here: link
PPG Flickr

Oso

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 20:37
Hi John,

Good to know that you have made your choice, you will be delighted with the smoothness and simplicity of its operation, especially with a working meter, Regards

Oso

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 21:24
I have an SP1000 and it does seem nice. I haven't finished the first roll through it yet so no results so far. I hadn't realised that it would stop the lens down when metering, which makes it difficult to use. With the Tak 35mm f/3.5 it's almost impossible to focus.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

johnha

Link Posted 05/06/2012 - 21:57
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I have an SP1000 and it does seem nice. I haven't finished the first roll through it yet so no results so far. I hadn't realised that it would stop the lens down when metering, which makes it difficult to use. With the Tak 35mm f/3.5 it's almost impossible to focus.

I'm using either Super-Tak or SMC-Tak lenses with the lens switch in 'Auto'. I usually focus before (or after) metering. You can push the meter switch back down as the body will stop the lens down automatically when taking the shot. I'm not sure if this works on Auto-tak lenses?
PPG Flickr

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 06/06/2012 - 02:20
I too like the simplicity of the SP1000. It's my only screwmount body.
I never use self-timer, and it's easy to find the right size battery.
Another benefit is that some are ten years newer than the original SP.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.