Sellers of high value items on ebay beware!

Mike-P

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:25
Clarky wrote:
It's not true what you are saying, I have a positive balance paypal account and I have used the "gift" option on over 200 transactions for goods purchased and I always pay the fee, granted it's about 1% but it's still a fee.

If you pay via paypal gift from money already in the account then there is no fee if doing a UK to UK transfer but if you are doing the same for an item abroad there is a fee.

Probably different depending on location.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 31/01/2011 - 12:26

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:25
greynolds999 wrote:
When I sold my Pentax gear I asked everyone to pay by Gift.

After about four transactions I received an email from PayPal warning me that if I did this again (within the next two years, I think it was) that my account would be suspended.

PayPal is a commercial organisation so they are within their rights. I normally ask for a direct bank transfer. It's free and far more secure in most ways.

Hmmm I have never heard this before and been doing it for ages without any issue what so ever.
I wonder if it's different for you guys over there as opposed to us in Aust?? But I doubt it. I will have to do a bit more digging on this one.

Cheers.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:31
Ahhh that might explain it, I use bank deposit on nearly all my domestic transactions and Paypal on the international ones.

So Mike what is your interpretation on what Cabstar and Greynold's are saying.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:49
if you are selling items on forums or ebay for your own piece of mind use a pay pal method that has a fee.

gift payments are exactly what they say they are 'gift' payments not transactional payments.

paypal are a comercial organisation & are protecting their business against these transactions, which to be honest are clearly fraudulent use of paypal facilities.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 15:01
Well I have paid via 'Gift' several times and I ALWAYS had to pay a fee. I just had a look through their T&C's and can not find any restriction.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Algernon

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 15:20
In other words add the Paypal fees to the selling price?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

ChrisR

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 15:50
All very confusing, makes me glad that I have never been tempted to use any online auction sites etc, and I have no idea what paypal is. But in this case, it looks like ignorance, really is bliss ?.

Chris R
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Mike-P

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 15:55
If you know how it works Paypal is great. It really has opened up buying and selling to the whole world.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 16:02
If you're using Paypal to pay for items on ebay then it couldn't be simpler. When the auction ends you simply click "checkout" and follow the instructions on screen to pay.

The problems mentioned affect sellers and people using Paypal to move money around other than for ebay purchases.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

smudge

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 16:12
I'm a member of a number of hobby forums and this is the only one where sellers routinely expect buyers to pay the fees.
Regards, Philip

greynolds999

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 16:14
I always offer the option of cash or direct bank payment. If the seller wants to pay by PayPal then of course I expect the to pay the fees. If not then I'm out of pocket for no reason.
My Photobucket

Mike-P

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 16:20
smudge wrote:
I'm a member of a number of hobby forums and this is the only one where sellers routinely expect buyers to pay the fees.

I always offer the option of bank transfer or cheque should the buyer have to pay the fees but using the personal payment method (gift) means that no one pays fees if the buyer is using money from their Paypal balance.

It is quite common on a lot of forums I use.

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 16:53
Mike, but as I pointed out above, if you sell an item & get paid by paypal gift you run the risk of losing your money & your item.

Because gift is used purely for gifting money you do not get any of Paypal's protection as a seller. Paypal are clearly coming down hard on this payment racket as they are clearly missing out on a lot of fees.

As a buyer when this happened to me I was very alarmed, as was my seller as you can imagine. Once this happens to a few people it will become a common scam.

When you go to send money to someone you have numerous options

First you choose purchase or personal

Purchase has the following options goods, services or ebay items

Personal has gift, personal payment owed, household expense & other

When gifting money from paypal balance to another fellow UK paypal user the following comes up, assuming an example of sending a 1.00

Your fee 0.00
Your total charge 1.00
Other person will receive 1.00

So there are no fees what so ever, which is why Paypal are now catching on to people using gift as a payment method for transactions.

Whether you like it or not anyone who decides to sell & accept payment method paypal gift is running the risk of losing their money & their item.

The only safe method is to accept a normal paypal payment & get your buyer to pay the fees on top of the purchase price, this way you don't break paypal's payment rules & you gain seller protection so you can input a tracking number into paypal for your buyer, this potentially stops your buyer from saying the item has not arrived, if you are really up to scratch you will pay for your tracked postage method through paypal too.

Yes Paypal is a great boom to buying & selling but try & get out of paying their fees & they will bend you over!!! Be warned!!
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 17:25
cabstar wrote:
Mike, but as I pointed out above, if you sell an item & get paid by paypal gift you run the risk of losing your money & your item.

Because gift is used purely for gifting money you do not get any of Paypal's protection as a seller. Paypal are clearly coming down hard on this payment racket as they are clearly missing out on a lot of fees.

As a buyer when this happened to me I was very alarmed, as was my seller as you can imagine. Once this happens to a few people it will become a common scam.

When you go to send money to someone you have numerous options

First you choose purchase or personal

Purchase has the following options goods, services or ebay items

Personal has gift, personal payment owed, household expense & other

When gifting money from paypal balance to another fellow UK paypal user the following comes up, assuming an example of sending a 1.00

Your fee 0.00
Your total charge 1.00
Other person will receive 1.00

So there are no fees what so ever, which is why Paypal are now catching on to people using gift as a payment method for transactions.

Whether you like it or not anyone who decides to sell & accept payment method paypal gift is running the risk of losing their money & their item.

The only safe method is to accept a normal paypal payment & get your buyer to pay the fees on top of the purchase price, this way you don't break paypal's payment rules & you gain seller protection so you can input a tracking number into paypal for your buyer, this potentially stops your buyer from saying the item has not arrived, if you are really up to scratch you will pay for your tracked postage method through paypal too.

Yes Paypal is a great boom to buying & selling but try & get out of paying their fees & they will bend you over!!! Be warned!!

Sorry but somehow I do not follow you here. I am using PayPal for more then 6 (six) years by now and ALWAYS had to pay the charges for a PayPal Gift (there is a box that you tick where you can choose who is paying the charges).
In your calculation there is no charges and that is simply wrong. I even just checked my last 5 'Gifts' that I send and I clearly pay charges.
Are you sure you have the right payment method?
Also I checked their T&C's for any restrictions on the 'Gifts' and there are none.
However, you are aware that you will have to lift the amount of transactions you can do or you are such with something like 1000 receiving and 600 sending before you hit the threshold of this and you then will have to upgrade your account.
NO OFFENCE but I am sure you got something here really muddled up or you have not yet upgraded your account so you are working with a limited account.
There also would always be GOOGLE CHECKOUT which is cheaper and they transfer your money at times specified by you to your bank account. Mine is set for every seven days. May be something to look in to as well.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

thoughton

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 17:50
Smutje I think you missed some key posts in this thread. I already said you don't pay for gifts if you have a positive balance (which covers the amount of the gift), and Mike clarified just when that occurs (i.e. not for international payments).
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.