Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

SD card too small..???

LiamD
Posted 23/01/2009 - 20:30 Link
Hi all,

When will Pentax update your firmware for one of these.

I want my DL to capture 720,000 piccys on one card..

Never need another card again.

For Don... 6mb per frame, 60 fps.. over three hours of video off one SD card..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Hardgravity
Posted 24/01/2009 - 06:57 Link
ARGH!!!

I was just looking for a 4gig SDHC card, the proprosed new cards seem WAY too big!

It's bad enough when a hard drive fails but loosing 2TB on an SD card sized device would be devastating!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Roscoe
Posted 24/01/2009 - 08:41 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
ARGH!!!

I was just looking for a 4gig SDHC card, the proprosed new cards seem WAY too big!

It's bad enough when a hard drive fails but loosing 2TB on an SD card sized device would be devastating!

I use a Dane Elec 16 Gig SDHC card, which works well in my K20D.
This gives 814 shots!(RAW+)
Don't worry be happy
Coriander
Posted 24/01/2009 - 09:10 Link
I think the 2Tb cards would be far too expensive to consider for general use in DSLRs when they first come out. Wait till they come down to sub £20 and then we'll all have a field day trying to find those images buried away in never ending streams of files that we've been too lazy to properly manage.

Would be pretty good for backing up hard drives. Or would they become the new 'hard drive'?

Would we all have our own personal hard drive to slot into whichever PC we would be using at the time? Food for thought!!
K10D with Grip, 28mm,50mm,135mm,18-55,18-200,70-300mm, Meade 2000mm catadioptric, dodgy tripod and luck
Mongoose
Posted 24/01/2009 - 09:22 Link
All this actually means is that the standard supports up to 2TB, the technology to get that much flash memory onto an SD card is a few years off IMO.

They have just been taken a bit by surprise at how quickly technology has caught up with the SDHC standard and are trying to give it a bit more headroom this time.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
LiamD
Posted 24/01/2009 - 09:47 Link
"Would we all have our own personal hard drive to slot into whichever PC we would be using at the time? Food for thought"

You can do that already with Puppy Linux (and many more Linux OSs I'm sure). Load PL onto a DVD RW, and away you go. As long as the machines you use can burn to DVD, you have a perfectly portable, if smallish PC. No need for a HD on the host machine either.

You'd have a problem with XP or Vista though, as the hardware needs to be validated on boot. Can't see Bill letting you use one copy of an OS anywhere you want.. probably ahve to pay $50 licence for each machine you hook up to.

But your point about backing up, is a very good one. People don't back up often enough usually 'cos it's a pain changing CDs or having to buy external HDs. Rotate 3 or 4 of these and away you go.. about as portable as you can get.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Hardgravity
Posted 24/01/2009 - 14:22 Link
I've just found a 64Mb card I miss placed last month, no worries.

Imagine that with a 2Tb card that has you OS and files on!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Anvh
Posted 24/01/2009 - 15:43 Link
Mongoose wrote:
They have just been taken a bit by surprise at how quickly technology has caught up with the SDHC standard and are trying to give it a bit more headroom this time.

The SD Card association has place the limit off SDHC to 32gb but theoreticly it can go up too 2TB as well. If pentax havent set a limit on his cameras that support SDHC it can go over the 32GB as well.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.