Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year 2019

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 10:38
Hi all. Apologies for radio silence. Have been flat out all year putting together a brand new piece of work with the day job , which very sadly ground to a very unceremonious and speedy halt as of 5.30 pm on Monday. Heartbreaking, but the nature of the beast unfortunately in these strange times. Hope this finds everyone well and in very fine fettle indeed.

Just a quick post to say that I found out yesterday that I'd won the Seascape Category at this year's Scottish Landscape Photographer of the Year Awards... fair to say I'm pretty chuffed. Also found out I had 3 other photographs placed in the finals, one Highly Commended, and two Commended. My photographs are very personal, I take them very much for me, but it's always a nice surprise when someone else happens to like what you do too.

Big congrats to all at SLPOTY and everyone who entered, and particularly to Kenny Muir who won the competition with a beautiful set of photographs. You can see full results at www.slpoty.co.uk.

Anyway, below is my shot which won the Seascape Category. Taken on a wonderfully stormy afternoon last winter on Luskentyre, West Harris. I was particularly interested in the storm light picking out the almost 3-dimensional sand patterns left by the dropping tide.

Pentax K1ii, Pentax DFA 15-30mm, Rollei 5 stop nd filter, Benro Tripod. ISO 100, 2 secs, F16.

And the 3 other photographs that were also placed at the finals:

Beach Hut, Findhorn
Highly Commended, Your Vision Category
I was struck by the incongruity of the beach huts at Findhorn, a pretty wild stretch of coastline. My idea was of the huts eventually being reclaimed by the beach on which they're built.
Equipment: Pentax K1, Pentax FA 24-90. Handheld. In camera multiple exposure, Bright Blend (2 shots). ISO 800, 1/200 sec, F16.

Storm light, Ardvreck Castle
Commended, Landscape Category
I happened to be passing Ardvreck Castle in Sutherland on my way south to Ullapool, when the light started to really kick off. One of those "get out of the van and run" moments.
Equipment: Pentax K1ii, Pentax DFA 24-70, Luzid 6 stop nd filter, Benro tripod. ISO 100, 6 secs, F16.

Winter Dunes, Luskentyre
Commended, Seascape Category
There are not many places better than Luskentyre in winter. What hits you first is the vast sense of space. Then the wind. Very hard. In the face. Absolute magic.
Equipment: Pentax K1ii, Pentax DFA 15-30mm, Rollei 5 stop nd filter, Benro tripod. ISO 100, 120 secs, F16.

I also had a further shot shortlisted in the Urban Category

Docks, Aberdeen.
Shortlisted, Urban Category
I'd noticed a rather apocalyptic cloud formation over the North Sea on a walk round Aberdeen docks, and was lucky enough to bump into this heavy plant hire business to complement it.
Pentax K1, Pentax DFA 24-90, Handheld. ISO 100, 1/160 sec, F16.

Anyway, some good news in what has been an otherwise pretty hairy old week for all I'd imagine...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Chrism8

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 10:52
The first ones a cracking image,well done, the rest are darn good as well
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Nigelk

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 11:29
Firstly, wow!
Secondly, congratulations.
They are all great images which I'm enjoying in their different ways. Not at all surprised they did so well. If you'd received anything less I'd have had to roll my sleeves up and crack a few heads together.

All the best
Nigel
PS. How are you finding your Luzid filter/s?

mivoligo

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 11:59
Congrats! Fantastic images. I really like the last one with the clouds and foreground "sharp" shapes.
Flickr

swarf

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 12:32
Congratulations, a great achievement. Your winner is an excellent image and I really love 'Winter Dunes' , but the whole set are really good.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

RobL

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 12:48
Well done and well deserved!

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 13:29
Congratulations Bill. A very moody winning picture. I love a moody sky but that one makes me want to scuttle off home to keep dry and warm. I'm not sure I would have stayed around long enough to capture the picture

It is always a pleasure to see the photographs you post and this series is no exception. Never easy this, but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be the view from Aberdeen docks (and not because I have family nearby...!). For me the bird in flight sets it all off just nicely. Good timing.

Stay safe and I hope you're able to use the new work in the day job at a later time.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

PeterKR

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 14:45
Congratulations, Bill - a worthy success.

I particularly like the last one; a photo opportunity well spotted - perhaps that's my twisted sense of humour ?

Anyway, it looks like Photograhy will have to be your 'day job' for a little while under the current circumstances so we'll look forward to lots of postings from you.

Best of luck whilst you're 'between jobs'.

Peter

takuman

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 14:58
Superb. 3 times today I have sat at my PC trying to put into words how I feel about photographs of this quality. I am now 75 years of age and have taken photographs since my 30s, nothing I have done comes close to these, I think in those years I have possibly taken one that I was pleased with. I think I now come into the category of "all the gear, but no idea" camp. You obviously know your equipment well and can "see" a photograph. Well done sir and congratulations.
Just passing thru

bforbes

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 15:04
A cracking set among some very strong competition. Congratulations
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

alfpics

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 15:18
Congrats from me too - the first is brilliant and love Winter Dunes as well!
Andy

Defragged

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 20:20
And may I too say congratulations on your deserved success. Stunning photo's as always.

I would like to add also, that your work offers great inspiration to others. Not only because of it's inherent quality but more so because it's achieved by some one who's heavy workload provides little time with which to indulge in one's photographic hobby. It just proves that with the right mindset, even the limitations of the most valuable asset we humans will ever have 'time' should not necessarily prove to be a drawback that limits our potential.

Best regards, D.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Last Edited by Defragged on 20/03/2020 - 20:24

pschlute

Link Posted 20/03/2020 - 21:39
Congratulations on a well deserved entry. And good luck for a hopefully brief "rest"
Peter

My Flickr page

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/03/2020 - 00:05
Those are images to aspire to! Congratulations.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

richandfleur

Link Posted 21/03/2020 - 03:59
Wow that's good, congratulations!!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.