Scotland, which places to visit to take awesome pictures?

RAB

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 13:47
Frogherder wrote:
You can see a fair bit from Sca Fell in the Lake District. Quite near enough

regards
Bernard

Yep - you're absolutely right Bernard. Just you stay in Englandshire
"He's not the Messiah, ..."

sebas77

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 18:43
ehehe thank you everybody. I also would like to see something of “folkloric”, you know kilt and such. Which event is famous and/or unmissable that happens between July and September?
Last Edited by sebas77 on 22/06/2012 - 18:44

doingthebobs

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 19:27
Google, 'highland gathering' and you will get a list of highland festivals, dates etc.

Some are large events and some much smaller. Most will have dancing, highland games etc. Lots of tartan and caber tossing.
Bob

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 19:37
Anyone see that photography bit on the One Show just now? Stack Polly although I'm 110% sure that's NOT how it's spelt. Staic Pollaidh or something daft no doubt.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Frogherder

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 20:21
The games near Oban are usually towards the end of August. It's relatively small and a very friendly bunch as I recall.

Incidentally Oban has a distillery and a tartan shop and makes an excellent base for exploring most of the sites in the area. (despite my previous comments I do actually love going to Scotland).

My grandaunt lived her life in Paisley and I keep intending to look up my cousins when next in the area, but so far have been unable to find any addresses for them

regards
Bernard

RAB

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 20:52
Google "Cowal Games".

It's one of the biggest events and takes place in one of the most scenic areas. (Argyllshire)
Last Edited by RAB on 22/06/2012 - 20:53

bforbes

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 20:53
I have never seen Oban without rain. I'm going shortly to try again. The run from Oban to Pitlochry I think is spectacular
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Last Edited by bforbes on 22/06/2012 - 20:56

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/06/2012 - 21:01
I've only been to Oban once, and it rained then too. But we enjoyed the whisky tour, for him and the chocolate shop, for me .

RAB

Link Posted 25/06/2012 - 20:57
Islay photographer.

You might understand why I love this place.

B.

Frankie

Link Posted 25/06/2012 - 21:30
I spent 7 weeks touring Scotland last year. In 7 days you won't do it near enough justice. So just go wherever is easiest and cheapest for you to get to. The scenery is wonderful no matter where you go. I'm trying to think of a bad bit that you should miss out but I can't think of any.
K5 + 18-135mm kit lens

ronniemac

Link Posted 26/06/2012 - 01:27
You want to be in the North West Highlands and take in some of the inner Hebrides. The most interesting area is called the Rough Bounds. Here's a list: en route go through Glencoe, then take the road from Fort Willaim to Mallaig (neither of which is really worth taking the camera our for) to pick up Glenfinnan (viaduct) Loch Ailort to Castle Toiram (Moidart), Loch Nan Uah Arisaig to Morar, boat to the Small Isles (Eigg, Rum Canna and Muck) and another to Loch Scavaig - takes you into the heart of the Cullins in Skye and is breath taking - both from Arisaig. Camusdarach beach (Local Hero beach), Loch Morar (Rob Roy movie) islands (fresh water - hire a boat), small lochs behind Morar (walk from Glasnacardoch), boat trip from Mallaig to Knoydart (remotest pub), the Quaraing (Skye - spectacular landscape - Lars von Trier 'Breaking the Waves'). Sounds like a lot, but most of it is within a radius of 50 miles although the Quaraing is a bit further but worth it. If you do the outer Hebridies, South Harris (Luskantyre and Horgabost) and Barra but not much in between although you will need more than 7 days for that. Forget the midge repelant - use Avon Skin so Soft - it works better; you'll need it. You will also need waterproof camera gear, but hey - your a Pentaxian. If you want to see a Scottish city it has to be Edinburgh during the Festival - nothing else comes close. Have a lovely time, enjoy the long evenings and spectacular light that come with it. (I'll be up in the places I mention in late July early August and not for the first or last time.)
Last Edited by ronniemac on 26/06/2012 - 01:35

techno-terminator

Link Posted 26/06/2012 - 08:44
I'm told that Princes Street will be re-opened to traffic this weekend - so that should help .
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

tyronet2000

Link Posted 26/06/2012 - 09:47
If it isn't raining
When you can't see the hill tops it's raining. When you can see the hill tops it's going to rain.
Regards
Stan

PPG

gartmore

Link Posted 26/06/2012 - 11:24
techno-terminator wrote:
I'm told that Princes Street will be re-opened to traffic this weekend - so that should help .

Princes Street is pathetic, it only has shops on one side.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

greynolds999

Link Posted 26/06/2012 - 14:00
gartmore wrote:
techno-terminator wrote:

Princes Street is pathetic, it only has shops on one side.

Are you lot still jealous that we got Harvey Nicholas! After all, you do have three Primarks!
My Photobucket
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.