Samyang 24mm f1.4

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 12/08/2011 - 23:47
Samyang are bringing out this wide fast lens in 2012. Going on past form it should be good, and wide plus fast is always interesting.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 00:32
Fantastic - do you have a link to the details? Is it full frame and manual focus? I could definitely see myself using this on the super A.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 00:52
Hmmmmm , sounds very interesting. having a 30/1.4 though, I'd have to see enough of a difference in FOV to warrant it. I'm still pondering over an 85/1.4
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

K10D

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 01:40
A quote from DPR:

"24mm focus is tailor-made for most of the sensors available on the market today. In the case of full-frame cameras, it constitutes a high-quality wide-angle lens perfect for street, landscape and architecture shooting. Whereas photographers using DX sensors will get just perfect lens for the purposes of calmer journalist and landscape photography."

Pentaxophile wrote:
wide plus fast is always interesting.

Only speaking for myself, I would not consider 24mm on a cropped sensor as wide. I would definitely recommend the 21mm Pentax as a better "journalist and landscape" lens, though it is slightly slower, it has AF.

Best regards

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 11:35
24mm (35mm efl) is generally considered wide, and I enjoy using a sigma 24mm. I think the 21mm f3.2 is more than slightly slower than f1.4! The focal length of the 21mm fell between two stools for me. I accept that's a personal thing, probably because I already had a 24mm and had got used to and liked the focal length, and really wanted something more noticeably wider.

Quote:

Optics of the lens has been constructed based on the system of 13 lenses arranged in 12 groups. It should be noted that 4 lenses has been made of the low-dispersion glass (ED), while two another are aspheric lenses. We have also employed multi-layered and anti-reflexive coatings of UMC type adding to the perfect light transmission. Samyang 24 mm F1.4 ED AS UMC has been designed to work with most popular reflex cameras produced by renown manufacturers and equipped with small-image sensors or smaller. The lens will be available with a mount for the following systems: Canon, Four Thirds, Nikon AE, Pentax, Samsung NX and Sony Alpha.

24mm focus is tailor-made for most of the sensors available on the market today. In the case of full-frame cameras, it constitutes a high-quality wide-angle lens perfect for street, landscape and architecture shooting. Whereas photographers using DX sensors will get just perfect lens for the purposes of calmer journalist and landscape photography. The lens attached to Four Thirds cameras will create a universal and bright construction corresponding to the 50mm focus.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11081205samyang24mm.asp

It's a big lens, but getting the FF equivalent of 35mm/f2 on an APSC camera is quite appealing for those of us who like DOF control and bokeh etc, but can't afford / don't want a Nikon D700.
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 13/08/2011 - 11:42

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 12:34
35mm i9n film terms stopped being considered wide in the 1960s, it's more of a "wide standard" on film. Many people used it as a standard lens.

28mm became the first film wide angle and 24mm the first film ultra-wide, but in current terms I think we need to get to wider than that before we become ultra-wide.

In APS-C terms the focal lengths required are quite different and 35mm is the standard lens, not unlike the 50mm on film. 21mm is almost a wide angle at 31.5mm equivalent. The 18-55mm zoom is a modern equivalent of the 28-80mm film lens, not particularly over-wide.

The 12-24mm however is an ultra-wide equivelent 18mm to a wide standard 36mm.

Perceptions change of course and it's time we ditched the "35mm equivalent" notion perhaps.
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 12:54
Quote:
For a full-frame 35 mm camera with a 36 mm by 24 mm format, the diagonal measures 43.3 mm and by custom, the normal lens adopted by most manufacturers is 50 mm. Also by custom, a lens of focal length 35 mm or less is considered wide-angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-angle_lens

Quote:

Wide-angle lenses have a focal length of 35mm or less and offer plenty of potential.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/wide-angle-photography-technique-4753

But yes, 35mm (24mm on APSC) is the upper boundary of wide, as I see it.

johnriley wrote:
Perceptions change of course and it's time we ditched the "35mm equivalent" notion perhaps.

As a yardstick for comparing between the various systems, 35mm EFL remains as useful as ever, IMO. I brought 35mm into the argument becuase 135 format offers DOF control and 'dimensionality' beyond what APSC offers... 35mm f1.4 shots on a full frame DSLR look fantastic, and there are relatively few ways of achieving this on APSC, which is where my interest in this lens comes in.
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 13/08/2011 - 12:59

Don

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:05
I looked at that lens as well.... I think anybody that does a lot of video on thier Pentax d-slr should keep watching for reviews on it as it may well prove to be a good option... but wether it beats the 35 2.4 is the real question....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

K10D

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:22
johnriley wrote:

Probably right John as far as Pentax DSLR's are concerned. The other three players don't need to. Maybe better to use FOV as it covers all sensor sizes.

Pentaxophile wrote:
It's a big lens, but getting the FF equivalent of 35mm/f2 on an APSC camera is quite appealing for those of us who like DOF control and bokeh etc, but can't afford / don't want a Nikon D700.:

f/2? I know you meant f/1.4

It looks a good lens and fortunately it is chipped to meter in all modes for Nikon which is good news for those that do want to use it on a Nikon body.

Best regards

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 13:48
K10D wrote:

I was alluding to the fact that f1.4 on APSC won't appear as shallow as it does on full-frame.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:00
Quote:
Probably right John as far as Pentax DSLR's are concerned. The other three players don't need to. Maybe better to use FOV as it covers all sensor sizes.

This is indeed an old chestnut. The idea of replacing focal length with field of view has been mooted for decades. It's not without merit, but unfortunately would mean that then almost nobody would have a clue what the figures meant.

I suppose I know a 46 degree lens is about 50mm on 35mm (is that right, I haven't checked?)but I doubt that many people will get to grips with that easily.

What is different about digital rather than film formats is the there are so many sensor sizes and now lots of non-photographers are making images. So equating all those formats to a "35mm equivalent" was no doubt a good idea. We've got to start somewhere and fewer people perhaps want to absorb themselves in the technicalities.
Best regards, John

K10D

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:13
Pentaxophile wrote:
K10D wrote:

I was alluding to the fact that f1.4 on APSC won't appear as shallow as it does on full-frame.

That's a whole new chestnut....

Nearly leads into the benefits of FF or a D645....

Lets hope that the K4 or K3 is FF. The new K2 is the one to wait for though.

Best regards

Algernon

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:28
Just don't use "Radians"
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Smeggypants

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 18:12
Algernon wrote:
Just don't use "Radians"

LOL

I'm quite au fait with visualising angles ( in degrees - not radians )

but surely the FOV changes in different sensors, so what's the point?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 18:19
Quote:
but surely the FOV changes in different sensors, so what's the point?

The theory of this is that we forget all about focal lengths and only use the field of view. In this way, it doesn't matter what size the format is.

So, if we have a camera with a 47 degree lens (not 46 degrees, I've looked it up now)it happens to be a 50mm lens on 35mm film, but that is no longer relevant.

A 47 degree lens on any format can be whatever focal length it happens to be, because we no longer use that measurement.

That's the theory, but it hasn't ever caught on and I doubt it ever will.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 13/08/2011 - 18:20
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.