Samsung SEF-54PZF and cheap slave/satellite

rqy99g

Link Posted 20/03/2009 - 10:26
I've just ordered a Samsung SEF-54PZF flash off Amazon (177) to use with my GX10 and I'm keen to use it with a couple of slave flash guns (for night time landscape photography and maybe a basic home studio) but don't want to spend a fortune. Is that possible?

What do I do I need to look for in an old flash gun (or new if the price is right) for it to be suitable for my needs? If you can recommend any to look out for that would be great.

Also can you recommend any books that will help me progress with flash photography?

Regards

Simon
"I like boring things." - Andy Warhol

ttk

Link Posted 20/03/2009 - 10:50
Have a word with MattMatic he's the boy as regards flash, I have his e-Book well worth buying.
Tel,

rqy99g

Link Posted 20/03/2009 - 11:23
Tel I have just ordered MattMatic's e-Book from his website and will have a good read.

Thanks for the advice.

Simon

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/03/2009 - 11:29
Hi Simon,
If you're wanting to use old flashguns as slaves then you MUST use the 54PZF on "A" or "M" mode only - which really means having the camera in "M" mode. That'll be ideal for night landscapes.

The P-TTL "intelligent" mode will fire two short bursts of flash and "dumb" slaves will fire on the pretrigger.

So, the "A" and "M" modes on the flash will fire a single burst of light. You can then use ANY flashgun you like with a suitable slave cube. Ideally get a flash that has control over manual mode - the smaller flashes often don't have "M" mode, or M-mode-power settings.

e.g. flash cube: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=7...
or
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=7...

My advice - search out the bargain buckets of local photography shops and second hand shops. You should be able to pick up a reasonably powered Sunpak, old Pentax, or Vivitar for around 20

HTH!
Matt

P.S. And there is, as Tel says, my e-book
EDIT: Just seen your payment arrive Simon... I'll email it back to you when I get home this evening!
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 20/03/2009 - 11:29

rqy99g

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 06:01
Quote:
My advice - search out the bargain buckets of local photography shops and second hand shops. You should be able to pick up a reasonably powered Sunpak, old Pentax, or Vivitar for around 20

Hi Matt

I have been offered an old Starblitz 3602dtz-ttl for a tenner. It has manual mode and is multi dedicated (inc Pentax), GN36.

Is this likely to be OK for a slave flash?

Any thoughts on Starblitz (Fuji?) as a brand?

Simon

PS Am I right to think that a flash unit which is dedicated to a particular brand, say Canon, can be usd as a remote wireless slave with the right slave trigger?

Anvh

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 06:05
Some flashes can be set as a dumb flash, they simply flash whne ever they notice a flash.
What little experience I've with Canon I don't believe they can be set as dumb so look for another brand.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

MattMatic

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 09:47
Simon,
Anything that is TTL dedicated for Pentax will only work in A and M modes (not TTL, nor P-TTL) on the K10D/K20D etc. But, as a slave, with a suitable "slave cube" then you can trigger it.

As far as I am aware, any flashgun that has "A" and "M" (with power ratios for manual mode, i.e. 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc) will do the job. Even if it's dedicated for a particular brand you can use it as a slave. If it's a dedicated flash without fully manual mode then I'd leave it alone

HOWEVER, I'd advise going for more "generic" (ie non-dedicated) flashguns - then you can still mount them on the hotshoe and get A & M out of them.

If you try and mount a Canon/Nikon/etc dedicated flash on your camera - you risk damaging one or the other!!! But with a "generic" flash you'll be ok (providing you haven't got stupidly high trigger voltages on the flashgun).

One of the funniest things I did was set up a studio setup with the AF540 in slave 2 mode and let my friend (with Canon gear) use it slaved from his pop-up. Worked a treat

Hope that helps!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

JPC1970

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 14:42
There's a nice new Jessops 360AFD Pentax fit flashgun for sale in the classifieds.
K30 & 18-55mm WR.

rqy99g

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 17:14
Quote:
There's a nice new Jessops 360AFD Pentax fit flashgun for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks for the offer however I've not yet explained to 'er indoors yet about the Samsung SEF-54PZF! So I'm looking very cheap at present 10-20.

Thanks again

Simon

JPC1970

Link Posted 09/04/2009 - 18:27
Well look at it this way you can say what a good bargain the Jessops is compared to how much the Samsung cost .

No wait, not such a good idea.
K30 & 18-55mm WR.

fatspider

Link Posted 24/04/2009 - 18:56
I have a Sunpack 888AFZ (pentax dedicated) but obviously unsuitable for anything other than older cameras or manual use as its only TTL, it could be used manually by adjusting the ISO setting on the gun. it has a bounce head too.
Its going for a Tenner if your interested. if you travel anywhere near Leeds your welcome to pick it up and save on postage
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.