Samples from yet another new toy - Soligor C/D P 28mm f2 m42

RichardC

Link Posted 31/10/2021 - 09:48
Here are a couple of samples from a lens I just received, all wide open. I bought it as a quick option to switch to wide angle when I'm out and about with the m42 Takumars. I deliberately chose wide open samples as that's how I primarily intend to use it. If I get round to it later, I might try some smaller apertures to look at sharpness across the frame.

The f2 is really quite nice for a bright image in the viewfinder and switching between auto/manual on the lens allows relatively simple stop-down metering and full aperture focussing. Even at 28mm (on an K5iis), the DOF is quite narrow and the minimum focus distance is really quite short. I like the way it renders between the in-focus and slightly out-of-focus areas and it has enough sharpness at f2 for my tastes. The handling isn't quite as nice as a Takumar, it feels solid enough but the focus ring isn't quite as buttery smooth.

It was quite fun trying to take a picture of the dog whilst siting much closer to him than with a 50mm or 85mm lens. He interacts with me differently, from further away he's less interested. I never really tried any portrait photography (of humans) but would be interested to hear from those who have about whether 28mm on an APS-C can be an interesting focal length for that use.

I think it's a keeper and will find a home in my coat pocket.

[/url]_RDC5125 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

[/url]_RDC5153 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

[/url]_RDC5175 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

_RDC5146 by d00d0c, on Flickr

C&C always welcome. One thing I noticed is that the Bokeh in No. 3 is somewhat interrupted by a few brambles, give's it a sort of slightly manic look which wasn't really what I was going for.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/10/2021 - 14:00
RichardC wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the Bokeh in No. 3 is somewhat interrupted by a few brambles, give's it a sort of slightly manic look which wasn't really what I was going for.

No 3 stands out for me, even thought it wasn't what you were going for. Nice dog picture, too - it's a look that's familiar from my own dog.

Steve

RichardC

Link Posted 31/10/2021 - 14:51
Lubbyman wrote:
RichardC wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the Bokeh in No. 3 is somewhat interrupted by a few brambles, give's it a sort of slightly manic look which wasn't really what I was going for.

No 3 stands out for me, even thought it wasn't what you were going for. Nice dog picture, too - it's a look that's familiar from my own dog.

Steve

Thanks, funny how these things work out sometimes and a good reminder that even if it wasn't quite what I was after, better not to delete immediately.

After my earlier post, I went out for a walk with the dog in the woods and took a few more, getting pretty image heavy now but here goes:

[/url]_RDC5206 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

_RDC5209 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5212 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5210 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5226 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5230 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5234 by d00d0c, on Flickr

Here are some bonus ones, not with the 28mm lens but with the 120mm 2.8 S-M-C Takumar:

[/url]_RDC5243 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

_RDC5246 by d00d0c, on Flickr

_RDC5248 by d00d0c, on Flickr

Here's the culprit:

[/url]_RDC5250 by d00d0c, on Flickr]link

davidwozhere

Link Posted 01/11/2021 - 01:38
Most Soligors I have used have been first class. These demonstrate the point.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.