Richmond Falls revisited

fritzthedog

Link Posted 16/04/2016 - 12:06
OK - so having not picked up a camera for months - found a couple of free hours so headed to Richmond falls traveling light with just the K3, DA 17-70 and travel pod

A long time favourite spot, photographed many times, Here are a few from the day - have to say I was feeling quite rusty and was struggling a bit with the K3 - not sure whether it is just my copy but I find the 3 much harder to get the exposure right on than the K511s

Nothing original but as always C+C welcome

Carl

No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/04/2016 - 14:01
They look original to me, and a great selection of comparative viewpoints giving a real sense of location. I like the motion in the water, seems just right, and you've got the exposure nice and deep for those silky black rocks.

My favourite is the last with it's depth and distance.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 16/04/2016 - 14:01

derek897

Link Posted 17/04/2016 - 01:18
How could you. Smooth water
These are right up my street, love them.
You don't seem to have struggled to much, these are all crackers..
Great to see you back shooting.
Derek
I know what i like, If not always why.

davidtrout

Link Posted 17/04/2016 - 09:26
Nice ones Carl. As Nigel says you have gone for a deep rich exposure which does the scenes justice. Next time I'm in Richmond, or Hexham or even in the middle of Durham, I must get down to the river and try some smooth water exposures. Its a style I've never really worked at in the past.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Father Ted

Link Posted 17/04/2016 - 11:23
Got to agree with McGreg.
Number 7 is a stunner (IMHO). The depth that the foreground rocks give it really works.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/04/2016 - 13:16
I agree, the last image is the show stopper here. Excellent image
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/04/2016 - 20:21
Hi Carl

It doesn't look as though you were struggling, these are excellent. BTW, just a thought on your comment re the K-3's exposure, I recall meeting up with you a year or so ago at Tickhill and comparing your K-5iis with mine - we spoke about the differences in exposure measurements between the two. Could it be that your K-3 is accurate and your K-5iis is exposing incorrectly, but you've just go used to it? My K-3 seems to expose almost exactly the same as my K-5iis.

Cheers
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Northgrain

Link Posted 18/04/2016 - 17:57
If this is you rusty, looking forward to when you really get your mojo back

To be different, I'm really drawn to the first two... With the second getting the nod as there's a little more space around the main rocks. But I can also see why the last one's hitting the spot.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

fritzthedog

Link Posted 18/04/2016 - 19:29
Thanks all for your kind comments. For what it's worth I nearly did not post the last shot and the first one is my personal favourite - problem is I have photographed these so many times I get very blaze about them - and they are very easy to photograph - you could probably get a great shot of these using an average mobile phone.

Anyway - good to be back - thanks guys.

Carl

fritzthedog

Link Posted 18/04/2016 - 19:30
David - you may be right re the K3. The biggest problem I have with it is if on manual exposure it really seems to need pushing much higher than I always expect

Carl
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.