Revising all the things I did incorrectly or never knew

Bugs

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 03:15
Hi Everyone,
Newbie here from Gold Coast, Qld, Australia with a Pentax K5 that I bought a few years ago and have been very happy with (except for an initial shutter problem).
I've recently decided to submit photos to stock agencies and on reading their requirements, Ive realised that what I thought I knew wasn't enough and some of it was done by trial and error, so I'm using the manual to get my thinking past "level 1 knowledge". Interesting how one can get the wrong end of the stick and stay with it for years thinking that's how its done! Of course some topics are also just too advanced when one starts out as well and so its left until something occurs to trigger a re-think.
I'd be really happy to hear from others who are submitting stock images - especially if you have a tip or two please..... If there are any members in my area, what about a meet or a photo expedition where we can learn from one another?
Happy Snapping!
Keith

AndrewA

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 19:51
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

alasdairfyfe

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 21:06
Welcome to the forum

McGregNi

Link Posted 24/03/2014 - 21:11
Welcome Bugs - when you ask about stock library requirements, are you talking about the photo content (eg how to shoot good photos that will be accepted and used by libraries), or are you asking about the technical side of the files they require (eg fomats, image dimensions, resolutions etc?)
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 24/03/2014 - 21:12

Stuey

Link Posted 26/03/2014 - 23:18
Hello and Welcome
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Bugs

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 05:34
Thank you all for the welcome!

I did send an earlier reply but it looks like I cant make comments for a month after joining - so maybe it will pop up all by itself later?
Pentax K5, Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC lens. Manfrotto tripod & cable shutter release. Lightroom V5.

Bugs

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 05:42
Ok I see that my comment worked - so here roughly was the earlier one - mainly to McGregNi; more the technical side eg stock photos should not be over-sharpened. I wanted to send existing pics but was unaware that just opening a jpg causes it to deteriorate - I thought that was only caused by saving it.
Have you submitted photos and been able to understand rejections (if any)? Did you receive comments or were you simply told that your photo had been accepted?
Pentax K5, Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC lens. Manfrotto tripod & cable shutter release. Lightroom V5.

gwing

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 07:02
Bugs wrote:
Ok I see that my comment worked - so here roughly was the earlier one - mainly to McGregNi; more the technical side eg stock photos should not be over-sharpened. I wanted to send existing pics but was unaware that just opening a jpg causes it to deteriorate - I thought that was only caused by saving it.
Have you submitted photos and been able to understand rejections (if any)? Did you receive comments or were you simply told that your photo had been accepted?

gwing

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 07:03
Bugs wrote:
Ok I see that my comment worked - so here roughly was the earlier one - mainly to McGregNi; more the technical side eg stock photos should not be over-sharpened. I wanted to send existing pics but was unaware that just opening a jpg causes it to deteriorate

It doesn't.
Quote:
- I thought that was only caused by saving it.

You were correct
Quote:

Sorry - no experience of stock stuff here.
Last Edited by gwing on 27/03/2014 - 07:07

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 07:41
Bugs, I was asking you the question I wanted to know if you were intested in discussing more about the subjects and content of the images to make them acceptable for agencies, or whether it was about the technical aspects of the files submitted so they were easily usable.

I see you mentioned JPEGs above, and as gwing clarified its just a re-saving process that will apply further auto compression to occur. Do you know if TIFFs are acceptable for agencies?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 08:26
Quote:
I wanted to send existing pics but was unaware that just opening a jpg causes it to deteriorate - I thought that was only caused by saving it.

As gwing said. It doesn't make any difference how often you open and close any file, including a JPEG.

If you alter it and resave it as a JPEG then it will get progressively worse every time you do so. Try it and see.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 09:56
And of course the worse thing would be to carry out any 'destructive' type of editing directly on the image file, such as in Photoshop working on the background layer. Much better to use adjustment layers for things like levels and saturation which won't add much to the filesize.

Personally if I'm starting with a a JPEG I always 'save as' first and create a new TIFF - do all your work on that, then flatten any layers if you won't need them again, then 'save as' a new max quality JPEG.

And its worth adding that ideally a new duplicate layer should be used if you want to apply a plastic wrap or oil painting effect - you never know, its appeal may fade over time.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 27/03/2014 - 09:58

Bugs

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 12:28
I am relieved to know that opening a jpg causes no deterioration - thanks to gwing and johnriley. I read a post where some-one led me up the garden path on that issue.
McGregNi: Thank you - I use Lightroom and being fairly new to it Im a bit lost about saving as a TIFF and flattening/dulicating layers. I shall investigate.....
I don't know about all stock agencies but know that Shutterstock only want jpgs, so I aim to shoot RAW and then convert.
I am fine as regards composition - a look at photos in stock agencies is a good guide - its more the technical aspects. I must say that there are some great videos on the internet for training in Lightroom and again thanks for your offer but videos are the way to go for me (I'm more a visual type )- unless I cant find the specific answer.

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 12:39
Don't worry about the layers then, that applies to Photoshop & PS Elements. Lightroom offers 'non-destructive' editing as well - it won't overwrite your original and keep re-saving it. It works by holding the image in memory in various recorded states as you go. The 'save as' process is about the final output that you choose. If you do nothing at the end of your editing then your changes will be recorded in the LR database to be automatically re-activated when the photo is opened again. Or you can choose to save a new version of the image in a suitable format, depending on the purpose.

Check the LR help for specifics of course.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 27/03/2014 - 12:42

Bugs

Link Posted 27/03/2014 - 12:56
Thanks McGregNi!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.