Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Review time in PPG

fatspider
Posted 04/01/2012 - 23:11 Link
Perhaps some form of intervention is needed by the galleries administrators as was once (supposedly) the case.

George: Do you not think some of your own images should be in the PPG?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
George Lazarette
Posted 04/01/2012 - 23:23 Link
fatspider wrote:

George: Do you not think some of your own images should be in the PPG?

No.

I think it should be much smaller, and of much higher quality. As it is, it's becoming just another Flickr. When it started, it was something that only really good photographers could hope to get into.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 05/01/2012 - 03:22 Link
George Lazarette wrote:

I would say that there has been a decline in standards. At one time, people were in awe of the PPG, and were disinclined to flood it with second-rate pictures. Now every man and his dog seems to think his snapshots are worth submitting. And these photographers get to vote on what gets in.

Quality and quantity are seldom found together. The PPG needs a cull, and it needs to raise entry standards. Otherwise it will continue to be what it has unfortunately become - a huge collection of not very good pictures which do no credit to Pentax, and which I am unable to commend to friends who ask for evidence that Pentax equipment can produce superlative images.

This is a general observation, not aimed at anybody here.

G

I agree. I reckon the decline probably started around the time I started to submit - not sure if there is any connection. Before the revamp I ended up with 160+ images of which perhaps a handful (at best) should really have been in a proper Pentax prestige collection. Since the revamp, I changed my name and started afresh submitting 9 images which all got in, which I took as a bad sign (I might have liked them all to varying degrees but I do realise my judgment is inevitably subjective).

So I shifted my attention to 500px, which for now I'm finding more satisfying. The quality of the shots that rank highly there are usually of a good standard (often gobsmacking). Perhaps a few too many 'glamour' shots, nude and otherwise (but then many would say that's not a problem:wink. The way 500px is broken down into categories means you can get exposure to a community with similar photographic interests to your own, which is great.

If PPG was to become less of a free for all and more of a challenge, I'd probably start submitting again, but an opportunity to do this was missed with the revamp and I can't see it happening now.
Mhuni

500px
Edited by Dr. Mhuni: 05/01/2012 - 03:23
Technoblurb
Posted 05/01/2012 - 06:20 Link
I was on 500px for a while but found that far too many images were glamour / model shots and decided that I did not want my images to appear along side them.
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 05/01/2012 - 06:36 Link
I know what you mean but it is quite easy to avoid the totty shots if you just opt to go to specific categories rather than all images (other than Fashion/Nude). I spend most of my time in 'Street' and 'Black and white' which are - most of the time - thoroughly respectable!
Mhuni

500px
Edited by Dr. Mhuni: 05/01/2012 - 08:23
AxelLuther
Posted 13/01/2012 - 09:14 Link
I found another evidence that shows, that PPG is going volume. In "the old PPG" whenever I contacted them with a question, I got response in less then two days - now I am waiting since 5 days - it seems that far more users are now in the PPG but not necessairly more moderators.
It would really be sad when PPG becomes just another Bitmap-Silo - for me it was the fact, that nearly all PPG entries were special, why I really liked to browse through PPG - any suggestions how ensure, that PPG stays something special??????

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.