Get 10% Off Eversure Camera Insurance Today!

Revamped FA 35mm f/2 rumor

Algernon

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 17:05
Pentax won't get a fair review anyway

They don't get rated higher for having the sharpest camera due to pixel shift or more versatile due to the K-1 screen hinge..... most others only move in one direction.

They never got extra points for IBS however now that Nikon have it on their mirrorless DPR have started to award extra points for IBS

A lot of their lenses are quite old and I was surprised to read today that Canon's 70-20mm f4 without stabilization is from 1999 Until recently Canon's WA coverage was very poor.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

pschlute

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 17:57
The K-1's screen is one of it's best features. For low tripod use it has saved my back on many occasions.
Peter

My Flickr page

vrrattko

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 20:19
I am glad, that Pentax keeps that little FAA35 lens alive and is revamping it with new coatings. It used to be first 'expensive' lens I bought and served me well until I went crazy with LBA and replaced it with FA43. In my opinion it's a good move from Pentax to provide fullframe users with inexpensive fast 35mm lens until they engineer new prime.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/02/2019 - 23:10
pschlute wrote:
I am still not convinced. WR is nice to have but would I upgrade to a revamped lens eg 31LTD with WR ? No.

Photos turn out much nicer when it's not raining anyway.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

K10D

Link Posted 03/02/2019 - 15:46
First tests and charts

link

I didn't bother to Google translate.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/02/2019 - 18:18
pschlute wrote:
RobL wrote:

Another point is that a criticism generally of the K1 and K1 mk2 is the small number of new lenses available, and that the older lenses do not compare well with newer offerings; upgrading is a relatively quick and easy way to address these criticisms.

I never understand this criticism of lack of lenses for the K1.

There is :
15-30 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
150-450 4.5-5.6
28-105 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.4
and now 35mm 2.0

All recent modern lenses (or revamp in case of 35mm). What are the complainants missing ?

Plus the criticism of older lenses not comparing well with newer ones, just needs a search of the various Pentax forums to show that is not the case. On a bench test, yes perhaps they lack, but with a real subject in front of them they perform as good as they did on film. Have a look at glamour photographer "Le Rolls" over at the pentaxforums.com He exclusively uses the FA* 85mm 1.4 with the K1

Compared to other systems there are very few modern lenses for Pentax FF, I think that's the complaint, and they're right. The options are few and generally extremely expensive, and primes are scarce. Having said that, the new Panasonic 50/1.4 makes the Pentax look like a bargain.

Pentax would do well to re-vamp or re-release some updated FA-era lenses in the same way as they have done with this new 35mm. Re-vamping the FA limiteds with in-lens focus motors would be an even smarter move.

Le Rolls seems to have moved to a Fujifilm system where he uses the 56mm f/1.2 lens.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

pschlute

Link Posted 03/02/2019 - 18:51
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Compared to other systems there are very few modern lenses for Pentax FF, I think that's the complaint, and they're right.

Re-vamping the FA limiteds with in-lens focus motors would be an even smarter move.

Complaint about lack of modern primes is valid. To claim "very few" modern lenses is not. I listed 6 plus the 35mm. What is lacking ?

Revamping FA Ltd with in-lens motor is not a revamp. It is a new lens.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 03/02/2019 - 18:52

Algernon

Link Posted 03/02/2019 - 19:31
Other makes have some very old lenses still in their lineups. You would think that one of the most popular would be a 100/105mm Macro. I was surprised to see that Nikons macros stay in production for years.......

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/105mm-f28.htm

Until recently Canon had very little in wide-angles.

All new mirrorless FF's have hardly any lenses available.

Stop moaning!

--

Algi

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 08:55
pschlute wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Compared to other systems there are very few modern lenses for Pentax FF, I think that's the complaint, and they're right.

Re-vamping the FA limiteds with in-lens focus motors would be an even smarter move.

Complaint about lack of modern primes is valid. To claim "very few" modern lenses is not. I listed 6 plus the 35mm. What is lacking ?

Revamping FA Ltd with in-lens motor is not a revamp. It is a new lens.

Six modern lenses in a system is very few. Primes are lenses, so if primes are lacking then unless there is a huge number of zooms then it logically follows that lenses are lacking. What's lacking? F4 or variable aperture zooms to be cheaper and more compact, fast and slower primes at almost every focal length.

Adding an in-lens focusing motor is a new lens in the same way as changing the coatings and cosmetics make a new lens, it's just a question of where you draw the line. I would say that taking the same FA limited optics and updating coatings, adding the focusing motor and maybe making it WR but still calling them limited lenses is a re-vamp, albeit a heavy one. A new lens would involve a change in optical formula, focal length or maximum aperture.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

theonenadeem

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 19:16
What is the definition of a modern lens.
Is it a lens manufatured since the birth of mirrorless .
If a lens design is older than 10 years , does it become obsolete? I think not.
Pentax have plenty of decent lens and , no adapter needed.

Regards

Algernon

Link Posted 04/02/2019 - 19:37
Latest Lens + Accs Catalogue PDF link at bottom of this page.....

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-da-11-18/

--

Algi

johnha

Link Posted 06/02/2019 - 18:07
I'm pleased Pentax have updated this lens with the new coatings (it can only be good news), and are pricing it at a reasonable price (slight premium over the FA one). Lenses this size do not need costly/bulky/heavy built-in motors.

For those complaining it's not a 1.4, that's a whole new lens and a whole new price tag (likely more than the new D-FA*50/1.4) - I'm sure we'd all like to see one in the lens catalogue but how many would actually buy one (especially given we have the 31 or 43 to choose from either side of it)?
PPG Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.