Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Remote F

duroo72
Posted 03/05/2008 - 22:57 Link
Anyone considering buying the remote f for the purposes of hdr photography be advised that once you have set the camera up for auto-bracketing 5 frames will not be taken by holding down the shutter release button on the remote f but if you invest in a cabled remote shutter you can hold down the shutter release and it will take all 5 shots , i have had first hand experience of this so my advice would always be go for the wired shutter release whether its from ebay or the offical 30 pentax one.
Posted 29/05/2008 - 17:15 Link
Why didn't i see this 1 week ago!
amoringello
Posted 29/05/2008 - 18:45 Link
Should have looked back two months ago.
I think a few of us pointed out that functionality.

Although, honestly with the strange behavior I see at times, I'm glad to see other's confirm that they have the same results. Dunno know for sure if that is a good or bad thing, but at least I'm not alone.
Bellie
Posted 03/06/2008 - 15:19 Link
I've been advised that it is useful to use a remote for steadier landscape shots. What's people's preferred option in this case... the cable release or as above the wireless remote f. What's the difference in their use?
amoringello
Posted 03/06/2008 - 15:39 Link
Other than those mentioned in the related threads, not much difference.
The cable remote obviously limits you to being within about half a meter from the camera (or buy/make an extension cable). The IR remote may not work well in bright sunlight or with certain indoor lighting situations.

Both help keep your hand from pushing the shutter release which of course helps eliminate vibration. So either will likely help a lot.
I generally find the wired remote more reliable and fires when I want every time, plus it has the ability for half-button press. The IR remote is full or nothing.

But putting the camera into 2 or 3 second timer also helps as it locks up the mirror before counting down. That will probably actually do more for you than either of the remotes, assuming the camera is on a solid mount to begin with.
Mongoose
Posted 03/06/2008 - 15:41 Link
I always use a wired release in preference to a wireless one. They are more reliable, and you still get the two stage shutter release so you can engage the meter without tripping the shutter.

I would only use the wireless IR remote if the cable of the wired release was going to cause a major problem.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Bellie
Posted 03/06/2008 - 16:04 Link
Thanks for the swift response. The two stage release of the wired one sounds preferable, so I'm off now to get one. Cheers.
ChrisA
Posted 03/06/2008 - 17:13 Link
amoringello wrote:
I generally find the wired remote more reliable and fires when I want every time, plus it has the ability for half-button press. The IR remote is full or nothing.

I've only had the Remote F, and I've never had a problem. Quite apart from it doing everything I need, I like not having to open up the door on the side in order to connect it.

On the K10D, of course, there's a custom setting that runs the AF before firing, so it pretty much gives you everything a 'half-press' gives you.
Mongoose
Posted 03/06/2008 - 18:03 Link
of course that is one potentially important advantage of the IR remote Chris, well pointed out. You don't have to crack the weather sealing on the sealed bodies to use the IR remote. The seal on the little door is round the outside so with the door open the K10D's sealing is compromised.

Generally when I use a remote release I am actually still at the camera looking through the viewfinder, so I like the half press to engage the meter which you don't get with the IR remote.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.