Regretrably For Sale FA Limited 77mm F1.8 SOLD

JohnMcD

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 09:05
If you've read my thread in the lens section you'll know that the FA77 and my Pentax DS don't get on well. So rather than have a very expensive paper weight I've decided to try and sell the 77mm and just go back to using my old 50mm. But it hurts to loose it.

The lens is less than a month old and is like new. I'll send it special delivery so it's insured. I'll leave the genuine SMC Pentax skylight filter on it. I don't expect these will be available

Cash, cheque or paypal 365, no offers please as I'm allready out of pocket. If it doesn't sell I might buy a K10 so that I can actually use the lens.

It's only been on the camera 3 times.

If you need a lens review then try here

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pentax%20Lens%20Tests/48-pentax/128-pentax-smc-f...

Sorry pics look a bit dark, I'll try some new ones if I get a moment tonight.

hefty1

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 10:05
That's a fantastic price for a great lens and if I didn't already have one I'd buy it in a shot. Sorry it didn't work out for you but I'm sure you'll have no problems finding it a good home.
Joining the Q

JohnMcD

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 11:20
Hi hefty, thanks for the encouragement. I was really gutted when this lens didn't focus well on my DS. I'd wanted a short auto focus prime for my Pentax since about 1995 when I bought the MZ5 and went auto focus. I'd never been able to afford one until now.

I could keep it for my Z1P, MZ5 and MX but I mostly use the DS now and only use the others on holiday.

If I could try it on a newer body I might keep it if it worked ok but at the moment it would have to be a K10 as I don't have the money for the K20.

The 43mm seems to work a bit better on the DS and I have some great holiday photos with it but I might sell that too as it's so close to the 50mm and I'm not scared to use the 50mm.

I've done this before, bought the best Pentax stuff then been too frightened to use it. I had an absolutley mint late edition LX with the winder, case, finger grip A50mm F1.2 and A28mm F2 and was too frightened to use it so I had to sell being too scared to take it out.

My FA35mm F2 also focuses poorly on the DS so it might have to go too.

If I don't sell it by the weekend I might take it down the camera shop and try it on a K10 and if it's ok buy it.

beakynet

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 12:51
I have heard that it is possible to fine tune the focus on the DS, I have just done this on my K10D. I used a focus chart to determin how off the focus was and went into the K10Ds maintenance menu (had to use a PC based app to set this, but I believe it is a few button presses on the DS).

It might be worth trying this option as the focus tuning is reversable.

Also, is it possible that your 77 has a problem and it is not the camera?

Just some thoughts. You may have addressed this else where, I have not read these threads.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

JohnMcD

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 12:58
It's ok sometimes just inconsistent. I don't think there's anything wrong with the lens as the FA43 and FA35 are the same.

Yes you can adjust the DS focus point in the menu, I'd forgotten that and might try it (thanks for reminding me ) but it might put it out with all the other lenses that work ok.

The DS just doesn't focus consistently with any fast lenses that I've got.

Cheers.

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 15:04
Quote:

Which is odd indeed. The DS I have works great with the SMC-F 50/1.4 lens...

Maybe the focus IS out and that it shows up worse with fast lenses Use the focus test chart and camera on tripod aimed at 45 degrees (see other threads on the subject or PM me for more help!)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Unlocker

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 15:08
Hi John, PM sent!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

hefty1

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 16:31
Unlocker wrote:
Hi John, PM sent!

I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist completing your set.

All I need now is for someone to come along with a bargain-basement price on a 31mm, preferably in silver...
Joining the Q

hefty1

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 16:35
JohnMcD wrote:
I could keep it for my Z1P, MZ5 and MX but I mostly use the DS now and only use the others on holiday.

Having just spent the day using my own 43 and 77 Limiteds on my new MX I can vouch for the combination performing flawlessly - hence my desire for a 31mm being stepped up a couple of gears.
Joining the Q

JohnMcD

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 16:39
Unlocker wrote:
Hi John, PM sent!

Hi, got it and replied, cheers.

JohnMcD

Link Posted 20/05/2008 - 21:10
MattMatic wrote:
Quote:

Which is odd indeed. The DS I have works great with the SMC-F 50/1.4 lens...

Maybe the focus IS out and that it shows up worse with fast lenses Use the focus test chart and camera on tripod aimed at 45 degrees (see other threads on the subject or PM me for more help!)

Matt

Hi Matt my 50mm F1.4 is usually ok so who knows whats going on though I normally have it on F4 all the time. I could try using the 50 and 43 wide open to see how they get on. I was just looking at some photos I took with the 43mm on holiday in February and they're stunning colour wise etc it's just the focus that's not perfect.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.