Registering your photogear on Met Police "Immobilise" database

jeallen01

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 15:57
A couple of days ago I registered my new mobile phone on the Met Police Immobilise website link because it was advertised as a means of registering phones.

However, after you yourself register it appears that you can register all sorts of things including cameras and photogear. I will be doing that in the very near future and others might like to do the same.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

johnriley

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 16:07
Not sure about this - I don't like the idea that anyone could have a list of what valuables, if any, we own.

What happens when the site gets hacked?
Best regards, John

jeallen01

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 16:19
johnriley wrote:
Not sure about this - I don't like the idea that anyone could have a list of what valuables, if any, we own.

What happens when the site gets hacked?

That is a point, I agree, but - on balance - when you live in London (and probably other large cities), the chances of getting your stuff back after it has been nicked are pretty slim.

Also, there are lots of other ways that thieves can get their hands on your personal details but most of them won't be very interested in you photogear as they probably don't know a Pentax from a pin-hole camera, or what anything is actually worth.

Around where I live in W. London, most of the houses that do get burgled are those with little or nothing in the way of obvious security measures and where the occupants might have expensive jewelry (not a racist comment, but a lot of the houses are occupied by Asian families where both of these factors are common - and those ARE the ones that have been broken into!). These thieves are pretty basic opportunists, and I expect their computing knowledge generally extends just about as far as being able to switch a computer on and log into Facebook!)

Therefore it's a balancing act - and anything that can help trace stolen stuff ought to be worthwhile (& BTW, yes, most of my gear is insured - which is often advised - and so what happens if the insurers' databases gets hacked? The Met Police website ought to be safer than those!).
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 14/09/2012 - 16:27

snappychappy

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 16:27
Have used this for years for many valuables. Have the mountain bike on it plus the camera, just about to put the lenses on it. It is a secure site, just use a strong password. I use Roboform to generate all my passwords, and its autofill option is priceless.
My piccies.

steven9761

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 16:59
I'm registered on that site as well. I'll need to remember to update one or two things on it though.

cedricd

Link Posted 14/09/2012 - 19:14
You mean that there are folk out there who actually trust the Police!!
Enjoy life

tyronet2000

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 14:24
cedricd wrote:

Well what would you replace the police with? Vigilantes, Lynch Mobs, everyone own and know how to use a gun.
Regards
Stan

PPG

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 14:31
tyronet2000 wrote:
cedricd wrote:

Well what would you replace the police with? Vigilantes, Lynch Mobs, everyone own and know how to use a gun.

I agree with that because, on balance, the alternatives would be a lot worse! Generally, the police force does a good job overall, but there have been, and probably still are, exceptions to the rule (as we have recently seen with the Hillsborough report) - and that is where accountability and public scrutiny comes in.

tyronet2000

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 14:35
There is an old saying "A fish rots from the head" and is as true today as when it was first coined.
Regards
Stan

PPG

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/09/2012 - 14:58
tyronet2000 wrote:
There is an old saying "A fish rots from the head" and is as true today as when it was first coined.

And, again, I agree with you (from experience in my professional life, if nowhere else)!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.