Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Redsnapper RSF-284M floppy leg repair - parts sent but no instructions

judderman62
Posted 19/02/2016 - 21:04 Link
Evening all

As per thread title, along with a slipping ball head (stop sniggering at the back) my redsnapper has one leg that flops around like a broken branch on a tree and another that's pretty loose also.

Redsnapper have repaired the head and sent a couple of screws and some washers. No instructions on how to fix it and looking at the tripod legs I cannot see anywhere where there is a screw.

Anyone had this issue or any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
malcombe
Posted 20/02/2016 - 09:38 Link
Hi, I had a similar problem and Redsnapper sent me a new leg and the bits to go with it.

I removed the broken leg, ensuring that I noted where everything was and installed the new one, no problem. It can be a bit fiddly though.

Redsnapper are excellent with their after sales service, even though my tripod was way out of warranty. Call them, I'm confident they will talk you through the procedure.

Best of luck
judderman62
Posted 20/02/2016 - 20:55 Link
Thanks for that but I have no idea where to start as I can't see anywhere on the tripod where there are screws !!!! I'll have to contact them again I guess.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
davidstorm
Posted 20/02/2016 - 23:34 Link
Which type of legs does it have, the ones with the twist tightening or the quick release type?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
judderman62
Posted 20/02/2016 - 23:41 Link
twist
- -
Mike

judderman62
Posted 20/02/2016 - 23:42 Link
Comment Image
- -
Mike

dcweather
Posted 07/05/2016 - 10:15 Link
They are great value and a good Company. However that has been my one disappointment with mine. After tightening the allen key screws a few times they can no longer be tightened and are fairly floppy now.
judderman62
Posted 07/05/2016 - 11:21 Link
Well I have a very different evaluation of them. Stuff loosens and the head has again started slipping after they took it back for repair or replace. Dire quality and wouldn't touch any product of theirs again with a barge pole.

Avoid like the plague would be my advice.
- -
Mike

davidstorm
Posted 07/05/2016 - 23:00 Link
judderman62 wrote:
Well I have a very different evaluation of them. Stuff loosens and the head has again started slipping after they took it back for repair or replace. Dire quality and wouldn't touch any product of theirs again with a barge pole.

Avoid like the plague would be my advice.

I think your assessment is a bit unfair Mike. I've had a Redsnapper Tripod for several years and it has been through the mill, battered and bruised, but still functions as it should. The legs have allen keys at the top which can be tightened, they can work loose but can either be regularly nipped up, or can be fixed with some thread seal.

The quality on Redsnapper tripods is great for the price, I would strongly disagree with your 'Dire quality and wouldn't touch any product of theirs again with a barge pole' statement. We are all entitled to our opinons, mine is a bit different to yours and I hope my post balances the view somewhat.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
judderman62
Posted 07/05/2016 - 23:48 Link
Yep we all have different opinions. The head on mine has started slipping again after only 2 or 3 outings from going back to them - sorry but to me that is dire. I have a few cheapo Chines ballheads that cost me £ 12 and one of those has performed flawlessly from day 1 and still does.

I have a cheapo Koenig tripod that cost me the princely sum of £ 46 and that has performed better and been more reliable.

As an aside, for occasions when I am not schlepping a tripod around for any length of time, I have just purchased an Amazon basics tripod with pistol grip - £ 54 - and the quality and especially the robustness of it are fantastic.
- -
Mike

judderman62
Posted 11/06/2016 - 23:52 Link
Just an update on my experiences of red snapper. As already stated above the head has gone again and I shall probably bin it and, couple of weekends ago one of the legs again became VERY floppy and I had to tighten it in the field - something that has never happened with any other tripod I've owned - not even the couple or so mega cheap ones I have had (and still have one - the Koenig).

Additionally, I prefer to use the rubber feet, not the spikes so I always turn those as far as they will go. Again in use, for some weird reason, these working themselves up and after a short while, I can hear the metal spikes on concrete / tarmac etc. Screwing the rubber / plastic (not sure which) all the way only solves this for a short while before they ride up again and scrapping again occurs.

A friend of mine, on my recommendation ( :blush, bought the same model I have and he has had the floppy leg issue and a few weekends back when we met up he was telling me that the red buttons at the top of the legs (see image earlier in the thread) had all come off and he had to endeavour to re attach them.

So my original assessment stands and my opinion of them has gone further down. Save a bit longer and get a Manfrotto - I have two of them and they are extreme;y good and reliable.

As an aside I used my new Amazon basics one last weekend and have to say - it weighs a ton but my word is it rock solid. I'm quite liking the pistol grip too - takes a little getting used to but it's good. At Not much over £50 it's a crazy bargain .... thus far - lets see if my opinion remains the same after some more usage, after all, I thought the red snapper was good for a while.
- -
Mike

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.