Recommended suppliers of equipment

Stoupaduck

Link Posted 11/02/2009 - 22:56
I have to add my vote to the many who have already mentioned SRS, not only are they very competitive pricewise but they are very helpful and knowledgeable people - I am in the lucky position of having one of their shops within a 5 minute walk.

Example of their service: Brand new camera had a problem charging the flash - fault was verified but they could not immediately offer me a replacement, so as the rest of the camera appeared to be working they said take it away and play with it and learn and we'll ring you when we've got a replacement - about 3 days later I had my replacement.
K3;K5;DA*16-50mm;DFA 100mm WR Macro;F4 DA*300mm;DA*60-250mm F4; Sigma 150-500mm; Mecablitz 58 AF-2;K1000/M50mm f2.

BODYHEAT

Link Posted 12/06/2009 - 09:08
I have plugged this elsewhere on a topic about inkjet printers (Canon ip4600/4500 etc)but I think everyone should know about it.

My friend Trevor runs a mail order inkjet cartridge business and could save you hundreds of pounds.

www.biggestdiscount.co.uk

sales@biggestdiscount.co.uk

I have a Canon ip4500 (with chipped cartridges so they can theoretically stop you using generics) and an Epson RX640. Trevor is able to supply generic cartidges THAT WORK for BOTH at prices which blow you away - we're talking maybe a quarter or less of the price of equivalent Canon branded inkjet cartridges.

Tell him you were recommended by Nigel Allan from Geon Limited and he might even do you a better deal.

Great products, great prices, great service, and cheap!

Tip: if you're in the market for a new colour printer check with him FIRST to see if he can supply compatible cartridges. If he can't, don't buy it. Save yourself a ton of money and grief
FILM - Pentax: LX, K2 - 24/2.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 120/2.8, 80-200/4.5, 28-105mm 2.8 macro, AF 280T

DIGITAL - Nikon : D300 - 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX

MrCynical

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:48
This is hugely useful, especially as regards sellers of used equipment which are generally harder to find on The Almighty Google.

Back on topic: SRS, SRS, and SRS.

morelia

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 16:00
He does not do cartridges for my printer, Canon Pixma 970

BODYHEAT

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 16:10
morelia wrote:
He does not do cartridges for my printer, Canon Pixma 970

If you do a LOT of printing, my honest advice is that it is better to ask him what printers he CAN supply cartridges for and get one of those. You will save a fortune. Save your Pixma 970 for the small stuff but anything you'll use a lot of ink with you are better off spending 50-100 on a new printed he can support and buying from him

The printer companies make all their money on the cartridges and sell the printers now almost as loss leaders as bait so you get forced to used their expensive cartridges.
FILM - Pentax: LX, K2 - 24/2.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 120/2.8, 80-200/4.5, 28-105mm 2.8 macro, AF 280T

Gwyn

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 16:26
Soorry Bodyheat, I don't know how much printer cartridges are in the UK but I can get official HP ones here in NL for less than your friend is offering them.

BODYHEAT

Link Posted 18/06/2009 - 16:34
Gwyn wrote:
Soorry Bodyheat, I don't know how much printer cartridges are in the UK but I can get official HP ones here in NL for less than your friend is offering them.

I don't know about HP or whether your printer needs several cartridges, but mine does

All I know is that a set of five cartridges for my Canon would cost me 75 +/- (Average 15 each) and from him I get generics which cost me 10-15 for the set (average 3 each).

I guess that's why the Americans call the UK Treasure Island, because they can make their fortunes selling to us and we get ripped off all the time. Look at the new K7: $1200 in the US and 1200 in the UK...typical

Last Edited by BODYHEAT on 18/06/2009 - 16:35

PondSkater

Link Posted 25/06/2009 - 22:17
I was impressed with Mifsuds in Brixham, nice shop and staff with a good choice of equipment. I bought my K20D +16-45 there as the nearer shops in Exeter only had it with the 18-55. Well worth a visit if you are in the area, then around the corner to Berry Head for the views, then lunch at Terry's Pizza Parlour in King st near the harbour.

Also a nod to Opticron.co.uk; I ordered a T-Mount to K-Mount adapter on a friday lunchtime and it arrived saturday.
I'm frequently amazed at how many people look without seeing.
K20D. DA16-45. Tamron Adaptall SP90mmf2.5(52B). Seimar 500f8
Tamron Adaptall SP300mmf5.6(54B). Vivitar 70-150mmf3.8.
Helios 44mm on extension tubes. (the opposite of LBA).

Oggy

Link Posted 01/07/2009 - 16:45
First dealings with Harrison Cameras seem promising. They are not Pentax dealers, but they had the cheapest Lowepro Flipside 400 I could find and they took less than 24hrs to get it to me.

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 16/09/2009 - 21:12
Okay, can I add the following

Camera, lenses and accessories:- SRS (of course), Cameraworld and Mathers of Lancashire. All great and worth looking into.
Printer cartridges, Memory cards, paper and batteries (but not their own brand) - 7dayshop.com. Bought lots from them and cannot fault them (apart from their own brand batteries)
Fantastic high street service and studio kit - Jacobs. Bought studio stuff, general accessories (like cleaning kit, filters, the odd compact and lens from them), They know their stuff, all photographers (remember that Jessops?) and in Manchester, even one of them is a proud Pentaxian.
Finally, WEX (warehouse express), not the cheapest, but sometimes have what you are looking for, when no others have, great service too. In fact I use WEX first, to see if they have what I want and then search everyone else, then normally I choose someone else, as they are normally cheaper (poor WEX). but at least they have just about everything listed and in stock. They are also good to create a wish list (for those winning the lottery moments....LOL)
Some Cameras

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 16/09/2009 - 21:20
I forgot one, Photobox.

Great online printing service and the images are great!
Some Cameras

pink

Link Posted 16/09/2009 - 21:25
I have one that you see at the NEC Viewfinder, They are based in Leicester
check them out for studio equipment and more.

fast post as well

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 15:10
Sadly, MXV Photographic is no more.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

PeteL

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 17:37
bretbysteve wrote:
Hi all,

Not wishing to put a damper on this thread, but I think a word of warning is in order...

Just to say, as good as both MXV and Ffordes have been in the past, I would say to anyone buying items from either of them, to check the items with a very fine tooth comb. I have had to return more than three lenses to both of these dealers within the last few months due to them not properly inspecting them. Some of the lenses had very obvious faults which had been missed. I get the distinct impression that both of these dealers are skimping on checking items properly.

They do give no quibble refunds, but it still takes time and some cost to return items. Ffordes also seem quite prone to often sending incorrect items.

I recently rang MXV about three Minolta MD lenses they had listed...two were marked MINT- and one was marked EXC++. I asked the sales guy to check them closely while I was on the phone....guess what...one had clear coating marks and another had internal haze, so whoever graded them in the first place clearly did not look very closely....so be warned.

Cheers Steve.

I`ll go along with the comment about Ffordes as i bought a Pentax AF 35-70 Zoom for my Daughter they offered me a Sklight Filter for 2 which i declined but when the Lens arrived i could see the reason that they offered the Filter as it would have hidden the scratch on the front element! This was an E+++ lens!
Regards - Pete.

PS I`m surprised SRS aren`t up there as i have had great service from them and they stock a lot of Pentax bits that others don`t

edumad

Link Posted 27/09/2009 - 22:39
Just to add another vote for parkcameras. Good service.
TWAPSI Blog
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.