Recommended suppliers of equipment

Argee

Link Posted 12/04/2007 - 20:24
For colour photo printers, the service from Newman Business Solutions at Crowborough takes some beating. The manager is a knowledgeable digital photographer. Website at http://www.newmanbs.co.uk

For quality used kit and very knowledgeable staff, MXV Photographic at Uckfield, East Sussex are a worthwhile visit - in person or electronically at http://www.mxv.co.uk/stock.html

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).

Pwynnej

Link Posted 15/04/2007 - 08:13
Cameraworld in Wells Street in London gets the nod from me, because of the service I got when I bought the K10D; this was a week before SRS bought their prices lower

I've recently dealt with SRS, my 50mm was delivered when they said it would.. Only problem is it will be 2 months before I get to play with it

Cambrian Photography in Bae Colwyn, usually has some good gear in
Ffordes and Mifsuds, I've also bought stuff off
Capi International in Amsterdam Schiphol (airside)

Cambridge is also a great place to go searching for gear..

Has no-one mentioned Jessops? Strange that

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 03/05/2007 - 20:06
Calumet Photographic (www.calumetphoto.co.uk) get my vote. Not a company I normally deal with, but recent experience has been very good.

Ordered a K10D from Calumet, via Amazon, when it was obvious they'd listed the camera at the wrong price (468 - i.e. less VAT). I was half expecting an email/phone call from Calumet to say they couldn't honour the price, which I believe they would have been within their rights to do, but, fair play to them and great customer service too, they supplied it at the advertised price.

They corrected the price on Amazon the next morning though...

Dan

Rob

Link Posted 10/06/2007 - 21:20
As Im'e new to this site thought I would start by saying Hi to you all

I think Jessops is pretty spot on (well mine in Llandudno is).
The staff are well helpful. They moved heaven & earth to try & get me my K10D but short stock every where seamed to be a problem. Got it in the end & chuffed to bits.
Regards Rob

Mongoose

Link Posted 10/06/2007 - 22:38
Rob wrote:
As Im'e new to this site thought I would start by saying Hi to you all

I think Jessops is pretty spot on (well mine in Llandudno is).
The staff are well helpful. They moved heaven & earth to try & get me my K10D but short stock every where seamed to be a problem. Got it in the end & chuffed to bits.
Regards Rob

and there we are, final proof that you can't tar them all with the same brush. To be fair there is at least one guy each in the Nottingham and Cambridge branches who know what they are talking about.

Never go into the Aylesbury branch though, most of them in there don't know which end of a camera to look through.

Transit

Link Posted 16/07/2007 - 23:50
bretbysteve wrote:

It was a very old and shaggy victorian shop front, very small and had not beed painted since about the 12th century.

There was a small 4 foot wide window either side of the door. I looked in the left hand side one. There were about 4 or 5 tatty chipboard shelves with cameras and lenses liberally scattered about. There were no prices and all the items were covered in about 5mm of thick BLACK dust. It looked like no one had cleaned the shop for quite literally years.

sounds like Diagon Alley in Harry Potter

bretbysteve wrote:

I then looked inside. There was an old lady about 60 serving an old guy and another assistant standing behind the counter..it was about 3pm in the afternoon and she was eating chinese takeout from the silver tray they come in.

The floor area in the shop was about 10 feet wide and about 15 feet long, trouble is there was a mountain of camera gear, boxes and general rubbish piled up on the floor. This pile was about 3-4 feet high and was taking up about three quarters of the floor area. There was only a narrow corridor of floor left directly in front of the counter which was about 18 inches wide. Had there been a fire, people would have had difficulty evacuating.

On the counter and on many shelves behind the counter were countless cameras, lenses and all manner of gear just piled up on top of each other and just scattered everywhere..it looked just like a jumble sale.

Plan to put it on my 'to see' list if ever I return to the UK !

bretbysteve wrote:

I was absolutely shocked that in the year 2006, a shop, especially one who sells technical equipment, which needs storing properly, should be in such a complete shambles. I would suggest the owner has no cleaning going on at all in the shop and also in my opinion has a complete disregard for health and safety.

I shudder to think what state the cameras and lenses are in which 'inhabit' this joke of a shop.

........the shop is called Nicholas. I have spoken to several camera buyers in London since and all have said this retailer has a shocking reputation...this does not surprise me one little bit..

The really bad thing in my opinion is that Amateur Photographer magazine are every week advertising this shambles.

cheers Steve.M.

Good grief Man !
Beset as we are with so much lifeless commercial conformity
surely visiting such a shop is a unique experience ?
Hope she wipes off the chicken grease before handling the stock
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

George Lazarette

Link Posted 17/07/2007 - 08:21
Transit wrote:
bretbysteve wrote:

It was a very old and shaggy victorian shop front, very small and had not beed painted since about the 12th century.

There was a small 4 foot wide window either side of the door. I looked in the left hand side one. There were about 4 or 5 tatty chipboard shelves with cameras and lenses liberally scattered about. There were no prices and all the items were covered in about 5mm of thick BLACK dust. It looked like no one had cleaned the shop for quite literally years.

sounds like Diagon Alley in Harry Potter

bretbysteve wrote:

I then looked inside. There was an old lady about 60 serving an old guy and another assistant standing behind the counter..it was about 3pm in the afternoon and she was eating chinese takeout from the silver tray they come in.

The floor area in the shop was about 10 feet wide and about 15 feet long, trouble is there was a mountain of camera gear, boxes and general rubbish piled up on the floor. This pile was about 3-4 feet high and was taking up about three quarters of the floor area. There was only a narrow corridor of floor left directly in front of the counter which was about 18 inches wide. Had there been a fire, people would have had difficulty evacuating.

On the counter and on many shelves behind the counter were countless cameras, lenses and all manner of gear just piled up on top of each other and just scattered everywhere..it looked just like a jumble sale.

Plan to put it on my 'to see' list if ever I return to the UK !

bretbysteve wrote:

I was absolutely shocked that in the year 2006, a shop, especially one who sells technical equipment, which needs storing properly, should be in such a complete shambles. I would suggest the owner has no cleaning going on at all in the shop and also in my opinion has a complete disregard for health and safety.

I shudder to think what state the cameras and lenses are in which 'inhabit' this joke of a shop.

........the shop is called Nicholas. I have spoken to several camera buyers in London since and all have said this retailer has a shocking reputation...this does not surprise me one little bit..

The really bad thing in my opinion is that Amateur Photographer magazine are every week advertising this shambles.

cheers Steve.M.

Good grief Man !
Hope she wipes off the chicken grease before handling the stock
Pete

Quite so. There's a not dissimilar place called Mac's Cameras between Hammersmith and Chiswick. It operates more like a parts counter for motor spares - there's no room to display anything in the shop as the shop-floor doubles up as a store-room.

But if you collect 60 year-old camera gear, it's probably just what you need. Digital? I don't think they've heard of light meters yet. 35mm film is the latest fad to hit them.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

bretbysteve

Link Posted 20/07/2007 - 15:16
Hiya,

"Good grief Man !
Hope she wipes off the chicken grease before handling the stock"

...I made quite sure I was far enough away that I could not tell whether it was chicken or Duck!....

I still do intend one of these days to venture back with a camera to photograph this 'den' so you can all see it in its full glory...

cheers Steve.

browngo1

Link Posted 03/08/2007 - 17:01
You can get a 4Gb SDHC card + card reader + delivery for 28.10 from www.lowpricememory.co.uk.

Loads to choose from and as the name suggests low prices. Delivery was 2 days, but I did order after 5pm. Worth a look!
Gordon
---------
K10D

Ratcatcher

Link Posted 10/08/2007 - 12:28
Pwynnej wrote:

Cambridge is also a great place to go searching for gear..

Where in Cambridge as i live locally.
Richard

K5 + 55-300, A-50mm F1.7, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, SP90 DI Macro
Manfrotto 190XPROB-804RC2 Head

link Flickr
link PPG

xbow

Link Posted 22/12/2007 - 11:19
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/

I ordered some bits from these guys yesterday about 15:30 and they arrived this morning! The prices seem ok and the service is obviously very quick.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1

Marky

Link Posted 08/01/2008 - 21:25
I'd recommend SRS as well. Ordered a FA50 F1.4 and it arrived quickly without any problems. Thumbs up from me!

Gasman295

Link Posted 09/01/2008 - 16:59
Just bought a K100D Super from Asda (yes the super market) in Bolton for 175 with 18-55 lens . Its on sale for half price.
7Dayshop.com has some good deals on paper,carts,SD cards and other bits you may need(you have to say you need it to keep your other half happy)

Argee

Link Posted 11/03/2008 - 11:52
Kudos to Hilton Photographic from Hull. I ordered a Giotto Rocket yesterday - just before lunch - and it arrived before lunch today - doesn't get much better than that!

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).

pentaxian450

Link Posted 16/03/2008 - 19:48
I looked at some prices from some of the listed dealersand, for most things, I'll stay on my side of the Atlantic. For most (altough not all) things I looked, we have better prices by quite a margin. I can't figure how you guys can afford to buy photo equipment!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.