recommend free software for backing up photos in external HD?


dinneenp

Link Posted 16/08/2017 - 16:49
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a free software that'll backup photos/files in external HD.
Ideally one that, after the initial backup, will backup only new images in the next backup and not create a full new backup.

I've googled it but there's so many options & many don't offer what I want in free edition.

Thanks,
Pa
Cheers,
Pa
http://www.photoblog.ie where every post have a musical reference as it's title.

JAK

Link Posted 16/08/2017 - 17:23
Have a look at GoodSync. I'm using an old, albeit paid for version which still does all I require. I chose that as nothing in the free category came close. It wasn't expensive and has proved very reliable.
If your needs are modest perhaps their free version might be sufficient.

Also, have you considered Windows Briefcase which may have come with your computer? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briefcase_(Microsoft_Windows)

Quote:
I've googled it but there's so many options & many don't offer what I want in free edition.

What are you finding the free editions are missing?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 16/08/2017 - 17:29

Algernon

Link Posted 17/08/2017 - 13:37
Robocopy (included with Windows since W7) can easily keep a mirror of one folder in another folder. It will delete any files in the backup not present in the main set.

Use a script or type into the comandline OR use a GUI...

http://www.upway2late.com/#/projects/winrobocopy

Simpler version .....
http://robomirror.sourceforge.net/

The /MT switch can set how many cores it uses. The default is 8.

More switches...
https://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html

--
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 17/08/2017 - 13:49

bychan

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 00:56
If you want to backup an entire disc/partition, look no further than Macrium
Reflect Free v6

Whilst the free version doesn't support file backups, for whole disc/partitions it really is excellent, and is my no.1 choice for this use.

link

EaseUS Todo Backup Free is also an excellent choice, which unlike Macrium, does support file backups.

link

One piece of advice with backup software: always verify the backup once completed (Macrium has an option to auto verify upon completion, can't remember if EaseUS does). A corrupt backup is no good!

Also try and restore some images from the backup to a different location, this should then provide piece of mind that your valuable data is indeed safe.

Regards
Adrian
K5IIs, Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 16-85, Pentax DA 55-300, Pentax 70 Ltd, Metz 44 AF-2.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambott/

Algernon

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 14:39
Macrium Reflect Free v6 is great for backing up the complete HDD or SSD. v7 should be out shortly.

Files are better just copied...... if you ever want to see them again They may be unreadable by the next version of software. I've still got some old HDD's compressed with Stacker 4

RAR files used to be safer than ZIP files because you could still access them if some of the files were damaged. Still the case with RAR I don't know if they ever improved the ZIP stuff.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 18/08/2017 - 15:06

wvbarnes

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 15:28
Hi, If you have Windows 10 you have File History. it backs up any changes on the fly uncompressed . Most external USB drives have similar too such as Western Digital.

I use File History to a spare internal drive and WD software to my external USB drive at same time. From time to time i tidy up both for files duplicated due to being moved.
Bill

Algernon

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 16:08
wvbarnes wrote:
Hi, If you have Windows 10 you have File History. it backs up any changes on the fly uncompressed . Most external USB drives have similar too such as Western Digital.

I use File History to a spare internal drive and WD software to my external USB drive at same time. From time to time i tidy up both for files duplicated due to being moved.

What happens if you RENAME an original file?

Also what happens if you RENAME a Folder?

--
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 18/08/2017 - 16:09

wvbarnes

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 16:53
A moved folder a renamed folder or a renamed file will be there as original and the changed version. Thus the need to clean up duplicates from time to time

Algernon wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
Hi, If you have Windows 10 you have File History. it backs up any changes on the fly uncompressed . Most external USB drives have similar too such as Western Digital.

I use File History to a spare internal drive and WD software to my external USB drive at same time. From time to time i tidy up both for files duplicated due to being moved.

What happens if you RENAME an original file?

Also what happens if you RENAME a Folder?

--


Bill

Algernon

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 19:03
wvbarnes wrote:
A moved folder a renamed folder or a renamed file will be there as original and the changed version. Thus the need to clean up duplicates from time to time


That's a lot of extra unnecessary work especially after a crash. Thousands of files to check through. So much for modern marketing even the DOS versions of Xtree Gold 3 would show you what files exist in the 2nd dir, but not in the 1st so you could delete them. Pressing B showed the full branch.

You could use Robocopy with the /NOCOPY (Copies nothing) and /PURGE switch which would delete any files and folders in the 2nd dir that aren't in the 1st. The /S switch would include sub dirs as well.

The /MIR (mirror) switch performs the purge and copies new or renamed files/dirs. Still needs the /S for subs.
--
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 18/08/2017 - 19:08

JAK

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 19:40
Seems a lot of fuss. Goodsync just does it!
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 18/08/2017 - 19:45
So does Winrobocopy

They probably all copy a damaged file over a good file

--
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

mysery006

Link Posted 21/08/2017 - 03:51
Hi
I hope it's not too late to add a comment. I used AOMEI Backupper all the time. it works well for me. you can use it to do file sync ,file backup, system backup, disk backup, etc. and so many great features without costing you a cent. if you do not solve your problem, you can try it.
hope it will work for you.

Celestialcrystal

Link Posted 05/09/2017 - 03:54
mysery006 wrote:
Hi
I hope it's not too late to add a comment. I used AOMEI Backupper all the time. it works well for me. you can use it to do file sync ,file backup, system backup, disk backup, etc. and so many great features without costing you a cent. if you do not solve your problem, you can try it.
hope it will work for you.

I have used AOMEI Backupper. It is really great!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.