Recommend Books

MattMatic

Link Posted 01/02/2009 - 16:33
I've had to cut back on things lately due to health... but managed to get some serious reading in instead

So, here's a list of recommended books:
"The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman - an excellent book indeed! Lots of analysis over what works and (more importantly) why. Filled with excellent images and lots of diagrams analysing the images.

"Creative Digital Darkroom" by Katrin Eismann and Seán Duggan - Another superb publication from Katrin. Although it deals with Photoshop CS3 quite a bit, much of the information is applicable to any other editing package. Deals extensively with exposure, dodging & burning, colour corrections and other fundamental "darkroom" bits and pieces. More about keeping the integrity of the image (rather than compositing etc). Definitely worth reading and keeping to hand!

I'll add some older books that I've found useful later...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

user_removed

Link Posted 01/02/2009 - 17:05
From few books I have read the one I liked was National Geograpic's -The ultimate field guide to photography link

GlynM

Link Posted 01/02/2009 - 17:32
As a newcomer to photography I have found Langford's basic Photography very useful. I have the 2007, eight edition, which has been updated for digital photography. I come from a technical background and have been impressed with the clarity of diagrams and descriptions.

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/02/2009 - 23:41
My favourites to date are Bryan Peterson's "Learning to see creatively" & Understanding Exposure".

Lot's of useful info, tips 'n tricks in both.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 09:52
Yes, the Bryan Peterson books are excellent too! I have the one about portraiture which is also good (but difficult to get)!
Matt

hefty1

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 09:58
My tatty and dog-eared copy of The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe has been with me since I was a kid and I still refer to it from time-to-time. Although written in a pre-digital age the basics haven't changed and it makes a great reference and source of ideas - a real treasure trove of photo techniques.
Joining the Q

Anvh

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 18:31
Do someone know some excellent books over studio photography?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Malo1961

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 19:20
John Shaw. The author of:
# The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques
# Close ups in Nature
# Focus on Nature
# Landscape Photography

Those are the books that inspired me many years back, and still do.
Written in the Pre-Digital age, but still going strong.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Father Ted

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 20:56
I found this book very useful. Although it is more to do with the appreciation of photographs, it helped me see what to look for when taking the shot.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Look-Photographs-David-Finn/dp/0810925532
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 20:57
MattMatic wrote:
Yes, the Bryan Peterson books are excellent too! I have the one about portraiture which is also good (but difficult to get)!
Matt

Which book is that Matt, "People in Focus: How to Photograph Anyone, Anywhere" or "Beyond Portraiture" ?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Oggy

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 21:11
I too am finding Langford good. I like their format of a chapter of theory then a page of summaries then an exercise for you to try.

Shame you have to rip half the book (film cameras, developing etc) out and bin it.

GlynM

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 21:40
Oggy wrote:
... Shame you have to rip half the book (film cameras, developing etc) out and bin it.

I would not want to do that. I might want to sell on the Langford book one day

I enjoyed the film and developing parts. It brought back memories from many years ago when I had to photograph printed circuit board layouts on an enormous 4:1 reduction camera. It also created a nice feeling that I no longer had to mix and use all those nasty smelling chemicals.

Glyn

Oggy

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 21:48
Quote:
I would not want to do that. I might want to sell on the Langford book one day

Oh alright

Quote:
...all those nasty smelling chemicals.

Glyn

Yup, that's what I remember as well. Gawd bless York Laboritories

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/02/2009 - 22:26
Peter:
Quote:
People in Focus: How to Photograph Anyone, Anywhere

It has a lot of good common sense information.
However, I find that Robin Gillander's The Photographic Portrait to be just wonderful! It deals with a "considered" approach to portraiture and is packed with beautiful and thought provoking images - many B&W. Has information on lighting & flash as well as how to approach it all. Definitely worth a read

Matt
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.