Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Recently Aquired Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro

Posted 13/10/2009 - 18:29 Link
I'd asked for advice on how best to approach macro photography and these are the results.

Please feel free to comment as I'm here to learn

Comment Image

Comment Image
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
Edited by noddywithoutbigears: 13/10/2009 - 18:30
K10D
Posted 13/10/2009 - 18:30 Link
Excellent images, well shot.

Regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Edited by K10D: 13/10/2009 - 18:30
womble
Posted 13/10/2009 - 19:39 Link
Excellent images. Two minor suggestions. In the first clone out the ?bug just under the petal and in the second I would try a tighter crop as I find the area to the right slightly distracting and a bit unbalanced with what is happening to the left.

Both of these are minor considerations though!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
matwhittington
Posted 13/10/2009 - 20:04 Link
I really like the first shot - Like the composition, nice and sharp in the middle (I always struggle with depth of field on macro shots) and the black background. Nice one!

Mat

PS agree about the bug
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Anvh
Posted 13/10/2009 - 21:09 Link
Both very nice but the first one is the winner for me.
Just the colours and the part going softly out of focus makes it a better photo.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Posted 13/10/2009 - 21:38 Link
Thanks for the comments but I must confess to an error on the second image, I made an additional copy to sharpened it so I could compare the effect with the original, but unfortunately I sharpened the original then copied it, doh and for the life of me I don't know how to unsharpen. The original has a more subtle effect where as the above image I find a bit harsh. Ah well you live and learn.

matwhittington
Posted 13/10/2009 - 22:01 Link
I think the ways to unsharpen vary with software. I just got hold of photoshop elements 8 and that has a sharpen dialogue box with a slider, so sharpness can be 'dialled' up and down (as far as I can tell). However, previously (in fact until three days ago!) I used photoshop elements 4 which simply had a 'sharpen' or 'sharpen more' command; with that I usually used the 'despeckle' command under the 'noise' heading in the filters menu to offset excessive sharpness as the two seemed to have (broadly) opposing actions - might be worth a try (If you are using PSE?). Don't know if that helps at all...

Regards

Mat
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Posted 14/10/2009 - 07:43 Link
Thanks for the tip Matt very useful, so here goes despeckled and cropped as per Womble:

Comment Image

Anvh
Posted 14/10/2009 - 11:58 Link
It is better but still the photo doesn't have the allure of the first one.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.