Re-awakening my LX

johnha

Link Posted 23/02/2014 - 23:31
I've just got my LX back from service/repair (Harrow Technical) for a sticky mirror and a few other minor bits. It was out of action for a very long time (I bought it in the mid-90s) and had forgotten how good it is to use.

Having had the chance to shoot some film through it, I'm hugely impressed with how nice it is use and how refined it feels compared to my MX and K1000. Big, clear dials, more positive click-stops, smoother & more positive wind-on, more ergonomic (I also have the plastic grip) - the whole package simply is a more fulfilling experience. The recent service may have something to do with this.

I know these are expensive cameras (I won't admit how much I paid for mine - used - in the mid-90s), and you need to either get one that's had a reasonably recent service (or budget for one). But they are superb machines, even if you don't need the removable finders etc. I'm regretting leaving the repair so long...

John.
PPG Flickr

womble

Link Posted 26/02/2014 - 13:11
I'm just about to go for my lunchtime stroll with my LX and a SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm lens...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 18:56
I've been considering my 3-lens 'travel' kit and had been thinking about: FA20-35/4, M50/1.4 & M135/3.5 (on the basis that once I'm over 50mm I usually prefer something significantly longer), but I had totally forgotten about the A35-105 - might give that a whirl instead.

Finally finished the first roll and when rewinding had forgotten about the frame counter counting backwards - must try some multiple exposures some time.
PPG Flickr

womble

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 22:13
I usually go for the classic K28/3.5, K50/1.2 and K135/2.5 although I might now be tempted to swap the 28 for the K30/2.8.

My A35-105 is very stiff. I might send it off for a service.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 01/03/2014 - 23:04
Hi Kris,

I've been using the LX & FA20-35 today (first chance to really use the lens on film), obviously it works but doesn't feel right in many ways. Compared to the camera, the lens feels fragile and the focus ring isn't wide enough (especially with the hood on).

I can't really justify a 50/1.2 or 135/2.5 but do have a K28/3.5, my A35-105 is quite stiff as well I think (probably why I didn't consider it fully).

John.
PPG Flickr

lxmike

Link Posted 18/03/2014 - 17:16
You cannot go wrong with an Lx, how did you find Harrow technical, Im thinking of sending my two Lx for services

womble

Link Posted 18/03/2014 - 23:47
lxmike wrote:
You cannot go wrong with an Lx, how did you find Harrow technical, Im thinking of sending my two Lx for services

Google...
Kris Lockyear

My website

johnha

Link Posted 20/03/2014 - 22:56
lxmike wrote:

I can't fault Harrow's work, service or communication. It took two weeks (14 days) from posting to return. The work was to fix a sticky mirror, loose hotshoe and I had the rewind knob replaced (extra cost). I have another LX that needs similar service and I'm waiting for a suitable two week window to send that for similar treatment (I didn't want them both in the post at the same time).

John.
PPG Flickr

lxmike

Link Posted 26/03/2014 - 10:17
johnha wrote:
lxmike wrote:

I can't fault Harrow's work, service or communication. It took two weeks (14 days) from posting to return. The work was to fix a sticky mirror, loose hotshoe and I had the rewind knob replaced (extra cost). I have another LX that needs similar service and I'm waiting for a suitable two week window to send that for similar treatment (I didn't want them both in the post at the same time).

John.

This is good to know will probably send one of my lx off for a service soon

stevistds

Link Posted 29/08/2014 - 23:34
Just bought my first LX, arrived in the post today now waiting to get out and run a film through it. Any advice on a good work out to test the metering system?

womble

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 23:22
The metering will be fine. More important are the seals etc. Make sure the mirror bumper and light seals are not goo. Also, the mirror bearings which are rubber sometimes deteriorate. To test this take a longish lens, e.g., 200mm, and try to focus on something a long way away. If it won't focus at infinity you'll need a professional service.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

womble

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 23:23
PS. Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and get it serviced. It is a stunning camera but everything needs some TLC after a while.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

JohnMcD

Link Posted 01/09/2014 - 09:46
I bought a 2nd hand LX about 3 years ago and it had a sticky mirror but it was cheap enough ( £125 with F1.7 lens ) so I wasn't bothered.

I used it for a year then sent it to Harrow Technical for a service.

I'd previously sent my MX that I bought in 1983 to them for a service.

Service was excellent as usual and I would recommend them to anyone.

I've been using the LX on days out ever since for the usual family holiday snaps, days out at the beach & Christmas.

More fun than digital and definitely a lot more hit and miss.

Just had my first box of Agfa slides back from Boots at the weekend so will have to setup the projector to look at them as my computer is being rebuilt ( it died ) so the scanner is out of action for a week.

They used to say in their adverts "just hold a Pentax" and with the LX it's so true.

I think it's the materials feel and the curves, seriously.

stevistds

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 17:56
Thanks for the advice, the seals appear to be okay but I'll probably get the guy at harrow to do a service anyway.

I've put my old 50mm 1.4 m series on the LX and not only does it look great but also feels nice in the hands, as JohnMcD says it must be the curves.

It doesn't appear to have the sticky mirror issue at the moment but checking exposure against my old ME super with 50mm lens indicates that there is one stop difference in exposure!

I'm going to put a film through and see what happens.

Then there is the Spotmatic I recently picked up for a song to give a full work over but thats for another day!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.