Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Rain and Domke bags

fourfivesix
Posted 16/03/2013 - 14:14 Link
Does anyone know what would be the best product to use to weather seal a canvas Domke bag? Thanks in advance

flickr
link
Chrism8
Posted 16/03/2013 - 14:32 Link
Try a Camping shop, tents are canvas and there's spraycans of stuff to re-seal tents
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
redbusa99
Posted 16/03/2013 - 15:44 Link
i believe it is called Fabsil
odd lens or 2

Flickr
vic cross
Posted 16/03/2013 - 17:24 Link
Try and find a shop that sells Silicon spray then spray and rub in at the same time. Try a machine shop like Cromwells if they still exist.
There should be some kind of shop in Sheffield that sells small tools and machinery. It's neutral water proofer and lubricant. I have used it on leather, canvas, and cotton. No problem.

CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
smc
Posted 16/03/2013 - 17:27 Link
I use a Domke Sat700 with camera insert. It is very water resistant even without any treatment. I have used te bag in torrential rain in New York and India.
macabee
Posted 16/03/2013 - 17:47 Link
Any silicone based proofing agent would probably work, as this would enable the water to initially run off the fabric.

However with prolonged exposure to water you would find that the canvas fibres would swell, in all likelyhood water would start to get in.

IMHO your best bet would be a waterproof nylon cover with sealed seams you can make one up quite easily

Cheers
fourfivesix
Posted 16/03/2013 - 20:08 Link
smc wrote:
I use a Domke Sat700 with camera insert. It is very water resistant even without any treatment. I have used te bag in torrential rain in New York and India.

It's quite an old bag which belonged to my uncle, I just don't quite trust it in the rain
flickr
link
fourfivesix
Posted 16/03/2013 - 20:10 Link
vic cross wrote:
Try and find a shop that sells Silicon spray then spray and rub in at the same time. Try a machine shop like Cromwells if they still exist.
There should be some kind of shop in Sheffield that sells small tools and machinery. It's neutral water proofer and lubricant. I have used it on leather, canvas, and cotton. No problem.

CHEERS Vic.

Thanks I think I'm going to try the camping shop for something that waterproof tents.
flickr
link
Stuey
Posted 16/03/2013 - 20:26 Link
Fabsil is something I have grown up with spending holidays under canvas in Wales - fantastic stuff - works quite well on yer boots in an emergency as well
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
fourfivesix
Posted 16/03/2013 - 20:45 Link
Stuey wrote:
Fabsil is something I have grown up with spending holidays under canvas in Wales - fantastic stuff - works quite well on yer boots in an emergency as well

Do you know if it will change the appearance of the canvas?

flickr
link
Stuey
Posted 16/03/2013 - 21:16 Link
It can do - generally it goes darker but you have to use more on the seems anyway and they end up darker - otherwise it is down to how good you are at applying it evenly

I'm crap at it
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
vic cross
Posted 17/03/2013 - 09:23 Link
Just looking at the name "Fabsil" the (SIL) bit makes me think it might be Silicon based.
I'll email my son who owns a camping store and ask if he sells it.
You could try him yourself?
At the risk of being banned. Try www.thetentfactory.co.uk
I know I shouldn't advertise and I'm the first to point it out when rogue traders come on the site but I'm only trying to help out a fellow Pentaxian.
CHEERS Vic.
Typo error.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Edited by vic cross: 17/03/2013 - 09:24
vic cross
Posted 17/03/2013 - 09:47 Link
I've just had a reply from my son and he says what he sells is stormproofing which is better than Fabsil as it has smaller molicules.
I'm now waiting for the name of the product and the cost of the smallest amount he sells.
CHEERS Vic.
Mannesty
Posted 17/03/2013 - 10:17 Link
Is it perhaps time for you to look at buying a bag that has weather proofing built-in?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 17/03/2013 - 10:22 Link
Just buy a new bag. Any chemicals you use could potentially damage the lenses and/or camera, just in the same way that varnishes do when kit is stored in cupboards and drawers. There are chemicals in so many things, and they are volatile.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.