"Most useful and unusual photographic accessory" award


ChrisA

Link Posted 20/08/2007 - 21:32
... goes to me tonight I feel. It is a bottle of "1001 mousse, carpets and upholstery", with spray nozzle.

Picture the scene, if you will. A spider, hanging on a strand of web from the ceiling.

'Aha, where's the camera and extension tubes', is my instinctive reaction.

I put down my glass of wine - on the banister, while I chase the critter up and down the stairs. My first two attempts are rubbish, and he's paying out the line... so I run down the stairs to catch him before he goes back up again.

He pauses in mid-air, I frame my shot... and just before I fire, he's off up the web again. So I turn, and in my haste to beat him to the top of the stairs...

... knock the wine glass, about a third full, off its perch. It falls in slow motion, but still fast enough for its contents to go everywhere.

'Oh dear' I say (or something like that, I don't recall).

Strangely, the photographic moment is past. Some time later, much kitchen towel for blotting used, 1001 sprayed and scrubbing scrubbed, the carpet is now damp, but hopefully clean (1001 is marvellous stuff).

After I'd done cleaning up, I looked for the spider. On the ceiling, out of reach, obviously... and I thought I heard a faint snigger.

His days are numbered...

Prieni

Link Posted 21/08/2007 - 08:28
ChrisA wrote:

... knock the wine glass, about a third full, off its perch. It falls in slow motion, but still fast enough for its contents to go everywhere.

If it fell in slow motion, surely you have a picture of it, haven't you?

ChrisA wrote:

'Oh dear' I say (or something like that, I don't recall).

I know that I would have phrased that slightly different.

Gripping story although the mention of the exact location where you put down your wine was a bit of a giveaway.

ChrisA wrote:

His days are numbered...

Don't let our own arachnyte read that...

Cheers,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

ChrisA

Link Posted 21/08/2007 - 09:05
Prieni wrote:
If it fell in slow motion, surely you have a picture of it, haven't you?

Sadly it seemed to speed up just as I was removing the extension tubes...

Prieni

Link Posted 21/08/2007 - 09:08
ChrisA wrote:

Sadly it seemed to speed up just as I was removing the extension tubes...

Yes, I know, sometimes you just hate gravity. At other times it seems to be a force for the good...
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

fatspider

Link Posted 21/08/2007 - 13:05
Quote:
His days are numbered...


My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Malo1961

Link Posted 18/09/2007 - 15:39
Hi Chris,

You said:
Quote:
Strangely, the photographic moment is past. Some time later, much kitchen towel for blotting used, 1001 sprayed and scrubbing scrubbed, the carpet is now damp, but hopefully clean (1001 is marvellous stuff).

To make your award really stand out and well earned:
Next time fill the empty bottle of 1001 with water,
create some back light on the web, and spray some fine haze of droplets on the web. Then take your picture and win the contest with a double Best useful accessory and may bee best photo
Anyway....great story, i enjoyed reading it.
Regards,
Martin

Rodger Fooks

Link Posted 19/09/2007 - 08:09
Good story

Great to see a post with a lighter note -
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.