Question for anyone who's used an *IST (35mm).

ZaphodB

Link Posted 09/06/2007 - 22:24
Hi, erm, this is an odd question...

I just picked up an *ist 35mm, since I needed a film body that works with lenses without an aperture ring. Seems a great little camera, but it seems incredibly loud... using the DOF preview the sound is unusually loud and high-pitched, and when I activate the shutter the sound (I can't tell if it's the shutter or the mirror) is unusually loud (compared to pretty much any 35mm SLR I've used) and again is a high-pitched, almost whining sound. The sounds seems disproportionate for a small and fairly advanced modern SLR, and I can't help thinking I would have read it somewhere before if the camera was supposed to be this noisy... so my question is, could there be something wrong with it, or do *ISTs usually do this?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Do you know where your towel is?

johnriley

Link Posted 09/06/2007 - 23:17
The camera is not unusually loud, but how do we know what you might think or not think is loud? Difficult....

I don't think it's any louder than the "schllooch" noise that a P30T makes, if that's any help!
Best regards, John

ZaphodB

Link Posted 09/06/2007 - 23:54
Actually that does help I have a P30T as well, and the *ist seems at least as loud, and certainly a lot louder than the quiet MZ5... but more than that, unlike the P30T's noise, the sound coming out of my *ist seems distinctly "unhealthy", being very high-pitched. Obviously what constitutes "loud" or "unhealthy" is a pretty subjective thing... I will try to record it and upload a small .wav tomorrow, that will hopefully demonstrate it better.

DaveR

Link Posted 18/06/2007 - 12:55
I own one, it was my first SLR so I had nothing to compare it with. I was on stage at an amatuer theatre production and my wife used my ist whilst in the audience and I had absolutely no problem hearing MY camera going off!

I now use an MZ-S, it's shutter/mirror is not as loud but more significantly has a more 'precise' noise to it compared to the ist.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 18/06/2007 - 17:23
The old field cure for a noisy shutter that I learned in the Himalayas was to very gently smear it with good quality buffalo ghee. That's clarified buffalo butter, if you were wondering.

You will be surprised how different it sounds after this treatment. But the best thing is that after a couple of weeks the shutter will disintegrate entirely, and you'll have an excuse to buy a new camera.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ZaphodB

Link Posted 20/06/2007 - 20:55
George Lazarette wrote:
The old field cure for a noisy shutter that I learned in the Himalayas was to very gently smear it with good quality buffalo ghee. That's clarified buffalo butter, if you were wondering.

Great - I'll see if Sainsbury's have some.

LiamD

Link Posted 21/06/2007 - 07:06
Mozarella is made from the milk of the European Buffalo, just not quite as runny as the butter..

I suppose you could cook it badly and split it to get at the whey, then clarify that..

Cheers

Liam

(failed celebrity masterchef)..
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

George Lazarette

Link Posted 21/06/2007 - 08:22
LiamD wrote:
Mozarella is made from the milk of the European Buffalo, just not quite as runny as the butter..

I suppose you could cook it badly and split it to get at the whey, then clarify that..

Cheers

Liam

(failed celebrity masterchef)..

Or go to Wembley and buy a tin.

More buffalo news: Nowadays, Horlicks is made in the Punjab from buffalo milk. Betcha didn't know that.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

MattMatic

Link Posted 21/06/2007 - 09:40
Quote:
More buffalo news: Nowadays, Horlicks is made in the Punjab from buffalo milk. Betcha didn't know that.

That probably explains the smell
(Not a Horlicks fan )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Pwynnej

Link Posted 21/06/2007 - 11:50
Back to shutter noise, you will think your camera will be quiet when compared with the NOISE the Z-1p makes... my GF's sister complained about the shutter noise from her GX-10.....stopped after I put my Z-1p into motordrive mode..
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.