Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera: officially named PENTAX K-3 Mark III

JohnX

Link Posted 25/12/2020 - 20:46
GPS.

I have a Panasonic Lumix LX100 camera that geotags via an app on my phone, so no need for inbuilt GPS?

JAK

Link Posted 25/12/2020 - 21:08
JohnX wrote:
GPS.

I have a Panasonic Lumix LX100 camera that geotags via an app on my phone, so no need for inbuilt GPS?

Heck no! Why not just use the phone to take the photo? In any event that does sound difficult to do if you don't carry a compatible mobile.
There are other ways that can time sync location data from a dedicated GPS too but surely it is simpler to have the GPS built in, and don't forget the Pentax GPS's so far allow astrotracing ? So I can't agree there is no need for the inbuilt GPS.
John K

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/12/2020 - 10:45
It's more the astrotracer aspect than the GPS I'm interested in, though I do find the GPS tagging in camera very useful. Used to have a GPS tagger before the o-gps1. This is much easier.
Still if the o-gps1 will work with it then that's OK I guess.
All depends on the price now...

pschlute

Link Posted 26/12/2020 - 12:05
For those of us who like to use old K amd M series lenses here is something new on the K3 III https://pentaxofficial.com/en/7492/

It appears that you can set any FL for the SR function, not just the pre-set numbers. You can also use the e-dial wheel to set an aperture number that will be recorded in the exif. Note, this only is for exif record only, the actual aperture used will be whatever is set manually on the lens.

But the biggest change is that stop-down metering has been extended to Av and TAv modes. It seems that in those modes, when you press the shutter button, the lens stops down, the meter reads the light and the camera selects a shutter speed or ISO before tripping the shutter. The established green button method will still be available in M mode.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 26/12/2020 - 12:06

HarisF1

Link Posted 26/12/2020 - 17:32
That sounds promising. There seem to be a lot of these types of QoL improvements. I'm all for it.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 27/12/2020 - 09:19
pschlute wrote:
For those of us who like to use old K amd M series lenses here is something new on the K3 III https://pentaxofficial.com/en/7492/

It appears that you can set any FL for the SR function, not just the pre-set numbers. You can also use the e-dial wheel to set an aperture number that will be recorded in the exif. Note, this only is for exif record only, the actual aperture used will be whatever is set manually on the lens.

These are both useful items that could have been done a long time ago, they also sound like they're firmware changes and could be extended to other models, though I'm sure Pentax won't do that.

pschlute wrote:
But the biggest change is that stop-down metering has been extended to Av and TAv modes. It seems that in those modes, when you press the shutter button, the lens stops down, the meter reads the light and the camera selects a shutter speed or ISO before tripping the shutter. The established green button method will still be available in M mode.

My Chinon CE Memotron clone from 1976 does this exact same thing with M42 lenses. It's only taken Pentax 44 years to catch up
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

womble

Link Posted 27/12/2020 - 16:55
I'd settle for the green button metering to be anywhere near accurate. It's usually several stops out (which as someone who used K-series lenses a great deal is a real PITA).
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 27/12/2020 - 17:11
womble wrote:
I'd settle for the green button metering to be anywhere near accurate. It's usually several stops out (which as someone who used K-series lenses a great deal is a real PITA).

Which camera Kris ?

My K10D was very inaccurate, but the K1 is correct
Peter

My Flickr page

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/12/2020 - 18:48
womble wrote:

Guess you'll find out soon, if they ever get your free camera to you

womble

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 08:38
pschlute wrote:
womble wrote:

Which camera Kris ?

My K10D was very inaccurate, but the K1 is correct

K10D / K20D / K-3.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 08:53
womble wrote:

I agree, that's from a K200D and a K-3.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

pschlute

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 11:00
The K10D and that era of cameras introduced a new brighter focus screen. While good for open aperture metering it was a disaster for stop down. I thought they had solved the problem by the time the K3 was launched. My K1 meters perfectly in stop down.
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 11:04
Wide open it meters fine, the more you stop down the worse it gets. Thankfully, the histogram makes it easy to compensate.
Kris Lockyear

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 28/12/2020 - 13:42
womble wrote:
Wide open it meters fine, the more you stop down the worse it gets. Thankfully, the histogram makes it easy to compensate.

I remember that with my K10D. Progressive over-exposure the more you stopped down. I would do the same as you, use the histogram to get the exposure correct.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.