Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera: officially named PENTAX K-3 Mark III

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/10/2020 - 16:32
Don't forget the VAT on that RobL.

I know for a fact it will be a lot more than that here, just because they always are. And coming next year means I can't take advantage of buying from SRS either .

Lubbyman

Link Posted 27/10/2020 - 21:25
Anyone know whether the UK-Japan trade deal includes zero tariff on cameras and lenses??

Steve

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 28/10/2020 - 10:25
K-3 came out around 1500, as did the *ist D. Once it settles below 1000 I might consider it, I am never one of the early adopters anyway.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/10/2020 - 11:49
Lubbyman wrote:
Anyone know whether the UK-Japan trade deal includes zero tariff on cameras and lenses??

Steve

It's basically the same deal that already exists with the EU.

dcweather

Link Posted 30/10/2020 - 19:13
I got sent the update via email from RIcoh. I was distinctly unimpressed to get a long list of a couple of pages of every feature that almost all DSLRs have, many from day 1 ! I searched through to find the mind blowing step change and I couldn't. I changed to the Nikon D500 3 years back but kept my K3 and a couple of lenses because it is a fine camera. But a new buyer is never going to buy this over a D500 even if it is 4 years old. I accept that both will take stunning images but the D500 has two massive advantages. Superb new cheap 3rd party lenses, especially from the likes of Sigma and Tamron (and these are superior optically to those that were available for Pentax in earlier generations) plus unless Ricoh are keeping it under their hat the Nikon is so much better at AF speed and tracking.
The lenses are always going to be a problem but as the other big players seem to be moving away from APSC it was an opportunity for Pentax to leap in front of them but in my opinion the also ageing Canon 7Dii and the Nikon D500 will hold their own against this.

pschlute

Link Posted 30/10/2020 - 20:06
dcweather wrote:
I got sent the update via email from RIcoh. I was distinctly unimpressed to get a long list of a couple of pages of every feature that almost all DSLRs have, many from day 1 ! I searched through to find the mind blowing step change and I couldn't. I changed to the Nikon D500 3 years back but kept my K3 and a couple of lenses because it is a fine camera. But a new buyer is never going to buy this over a D500 even if it is 4 years old. I accept that both will take stunning images but the D500 has two massive advantages. Superb new cheap 3rd party lenses, especially from the likes of Sigma and Tamron (and these are superior optically to those that were available for Pentax in earlier generations) plus unless Ricoh are keeping it under their hat the Nikon is so much better at AF speed and tracking.
The lenses are always going to be a problem but as the other big players seem to be moving away from APSC it was an opportunity for Pentax to leap in front of them but in my opinion the also ageing Canon 7Dii and the Nikon D500 will hold their own against this.

Better sell your old Pentax kit while you can
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 01/11/2020 - 01:28
dcweather wrote:
I got sent the update via email from RIcoh. I was distinctly unimpressed

Won't they let you unsubscribe?
John K

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/11/2020 - 23:14
Larger viewfinder looks great. If you are going to make optical viewfinder a feature then it needs to be impressive.
(Personally I don't find any of the APS-C viewfinders big enough / a comparison to the film days, so I'd be all for something larger).

12fps burst shooting is impressive.

Any specs on 4K bitrate, and does it have mechanical stabilisation / or at least the ability to turn off the rubbish movie SR software attempt and not crop etc?
Object tracking during video?

AF. Honestly this is my number one issue with Pentax nowadays. The fact that it can't lock onto items, or even identify a face or an eye like newer cameras is going to be an issue for DSLRs moving forwards. I hope Pentax understand this situation, and don't simply throw more focus points on it. It's not necessarily the number of points, it's the ability to proactively spot that the subject is moving towards you and pull focus in anticipation, that sort of thing.

(Re say K-3 I use centre point AF only for most things, and even then find the camera will often focus on the grass or wall behind my subject, despite opting for a point right in the middle of the person. All lenses have been calibrated too, but the camera often has a mind of its own. I have used object tracking for likes of children's triathlon school events etc, and extensively reviewed the menu options for this. I've had some okay results, but bottom line is I'm not as confident as a mirrorless camera where I can see the object actively being identified and tracked and focussed upon. I'm not sure a DSLR is ever going to provide that.)

Touch Screen is a good move im my opinion. I now have a mirrorless camera, replaced my older K-S1, and the touchscreen is really handy to review images, with a pinch to zoom and drag to reposition functionality quite quick and intuitive. Menus are very easy to use like this too, but the buttons are always there to use as a backup if you don't want to use the touchscreen.

Price seems in line with past releases, but customers have a huge variety of very smart camera devices to choose from now. This camera is an evolution of past models, and as such will be very nice to use I'm sure, but if I was starting out fresh I'm not sure I'd jump at this over other options that are out there now. It's release is now down to 2021, and the K-3 mkii was released in 2015. That's a long time between drinks and feels like it needs more than an evolution of the K-3 and say KP features?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/11/2020 - 09:15
I'd agree that AF is the main concern with Pentax DSLRs and also add high-ISO image quality. The AF on my K-3 handles more situations than my K200D did but it's no more accurate, and the K200D is old in DSLR terms. Accuracy is the big problem, not speed or number of AF points.

These would be the main two reasons for me to upgrade.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 03/11/2020 - 09:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.