Problems getting .PEF files opened in Adobe


davidruane

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 13:49
Good day all,

I`ve recently purchased a k1 ii and currently trying to record photos etc on RAW format on both SD cards. (I can definitely record as .JPG).

Upon downloading to my computer, I can view the photos from Windows and also see the file data but I can`t get them opened on either Adobe PS, Elements 13 or Lightroom.

I`ve been through the forums and help desks for any of their ideas and tried the various options to no avail.

When I try to open the file, either directly from the camera or from Windows file explorer, I keep getting:

"Photoshop elements cannot open this file".

It then directs me to the various updates which I have done.

I can convert the file / folder to a DNG but there has to be another way. Can I not simply edit the recorded photos directly in .PEF?

Obviously any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
David
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

Chrism8

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 13:59
Hi David,

Its likely the K1ii PEF files are younger than your software and therefore not compatible, the best option IMO would be to shoot in DNG and then convert to Tiff . This is the route I follow.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

davidruane

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 14:04
Thanks Chris,

I`ve got a stack of photos on both cards as .PEF. I guess I`ll convert them to .DNG and edit there.

I`ll then change the file format on the cards to make it just that little bit easier

Hopefully Pentax / Adobe will build the update and let me try the .PEF again.

David
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 14:59
Have you got the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw plug in. You should have no trouble opening PEF files in either Lightroom or PS.

I use Lightroom to edit my PEF files on a PC Windows 10, Apple Mac Book and Samsung tablet with no issues.

Paul

Darrel

Link Posted 02/01/2020 - 16:09
I use Lightroom 6.14 and Elements 2020 with .PEF files with no trouble on my MacBook Pro running Catalina OS.

davidruane

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 13:43
Thank you everyone - unfortunately I`m no further forward

I have Lightroom classic 7.2.
Elements 13 (2015 download)
Photoshop 7.0
Camera RAW 12.1
DNG Converter 12.1

From what I`ve read, I shouldn`t be having any issues - but ......

I don`t understand why none of the three editing products aren`t seeing the PEF files.

I`m obviously doing something wrong here (no really)

I`ll keep trying and perhaps have a look at the elements 2020 trial version. If that works, then I guess an upgrade is called for.....

Many thanks

David
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

JAK

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 14:33
What type of PC do you have and what OS? Also how much ram in it?
Just trying to eliminate a potential lack of resources available to cope with the large files.

You say, you can convert the file / folder to a DNG, presumably by selecting that option in he camera settings so that seems to be your best way forward. Or do you mean by using the Adobe camera raw convertor?

Have you tried using Pentax's software that came with the camera? That's designed to open them!

To open K1 PEFs directly in Elements you will need a very recent version of the software. You can check which versions should be OK on Adobe's website.

Se https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/01/2020 - 14:57

davidruane

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 20:54
Hi John,

I`m running Windows 10 pro with 16Mb RAM.

Conversion is done with the Adobe DNG converter.

For some reason, no disc came with the new camera - although I`ll address that to the shop tomorrow. I`ve downloaded the DCU5 software and that works just fine, although now I`ll have to learn that one too

I`ll keep playing although I may have to invest in elements 2020 and take advantage of that one...

Many thanks

David
Today is a great day - they always are if you wake up

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 22:25
davidruane wrote:
Thank you everyone - unfortunately I`m no further forward

I have Lightroom classic 7.2.
Elements 13 (2015 download)
Photoshop 7.0
Camera RAW 12.1
DNG Converter 12.1

From what I`ve read, I shouldn`t be having any issues - but ......

I don`t understand why none of the three editing products aren`t seeing the PEF files.

I`m obviously doing something wrong here (no really)

I`ll keep trying and perhaps have a look at the elements 2020 trial version. If that works, then I guess an upgrade is called for.....


Many thanks

David

I don't think Camera Raw 12.1 will work with the versions of Lightroom and Elements you are using. You need to try Camera Raw 10.5 or maybe earlier

The K1 ii is supported from Camera Raw 10.4.

See

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Paul
Last Edited by PRYorkshire on 03/01/2020 - 23:01

JAK

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 23:10
I wouldn't have thought Adobe would cease the support for a camera that was available in an older version, though it seems that could be the reason. What's the sense of that? A good reason for never updating!
In any event the K-1 isn't that ancient, they're still being sold new.

Re DCU5 - it used to require the original disc to install it, though there is a workaround.

I've spotted there are old versions of ACR here: https://www.filehorse.com/download-adobe-camera-raw/old-versions/

Or from here: if you prefer to download from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/legacy-version-updates.html#acr_version_...
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 03/01/2020 - 23:21

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 23:22
JAK wrote:
I wouldn't have thought Adobe would cease the support for a camera that was available in an older version, though it seems that could be the reason. What's the sense of that? A good reason for never updating!
In any event the K-1 isn't that ancient, they're still being sold new.

Re DCU5 - it used to require the original disc to install it, though there is a workaround.

The K1 ii is supported from Camera Raw 10.4 onwards. However earlier versions of Lightroom, PS and Elements will not support later versions of Camera Raw. The OP is trying to use the wrong version of Camera Raw. Version 10.5 supports the K1 ii and will work with his version of Lightroom.

Paul

JAK

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 23:32
Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?
John K

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 03/01/2020 - 23:58
JAK wrote:
Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

All to get you to buy the latest version.

Paul

pschlute

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 10:15
JAK wrote:
Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

ACR will not work at all without a version of LR or PS installed. It is not a stand-alone program.

The OP is using older versions of LR/PS but perhaps does not have the correct version of ACR installed.

Nothing to do with backwards compatibility.
Peter



My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 04/01/2020 - 10:24
pschlute wrote:
JAK wrote:
Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

ACR will not work at all without a version of LR or PS installed. It is not a stand-alone program.

The OP is using older versions of LR/PS but perhaps does not have the correct version of ACR installed.

Nothing to do with backwards compatibility.

Yes, you're right. I was getting it confused with https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html which is stand-alone.
Makes more sense to use DNG in the first place so conversions won't be required. I can't think of any benefit so use PEF unless one only uses DCU5. We're fortunate Pentax supports DNG natively, not all makes do.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 04/01/2020 - 10:33
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.