Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Probably my last pics taken with the K10D (very sad day)

Kimbo
Posted 04/03/2007 - 16:28 Link
I quite like all three of the original shots.
The blurred waterfall might be a little cliched but then again, no matter how original you might think your shot is, you can bet your life that someone, somewhere has taken one very similar.

This one works well for me, there's plenty going on, the colours are reasonably saturated and the whole thing has a certain fairytale quality.

I never place too much importance on the chosen frame or border because that can be changed and if I were to own and display the image, I might tweak it a bit here and there but I think it generally works fine.

All criticism can be viewed in a positive light and as we all see things differently, one person's opinion can be totally different to another's but both can be equally valid.
To say that certain rules under certain conditions must be strictly adhered to is the very philosophy that stifles artistic impression and creativity.

It's wise to seek criticism and to follow advice but ultimately, you should go with your own feelings and if you like the end result then that is all that matters.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 16:38 Link
Kimbo wrote:
I quite like all three of the original shots.
The blurred waterfall might be a little cliched but then again, no matter how original you might think your shot is, you can bet your life that someone, somewhere has taken one very similar.

This one works well for me, there's plenty going on, the colours are reasonably saturated and the whole thing has a certain fairytale quality.

I never place too much importance on the chosen frame or border because that can be changed and if I were to own and display the image, I might tweak it a bit here and there but I think it generally works fine.

All criticism can be viewed in a positive light and as we all see things differently, one person's opinion can be totally different to another's but both can be equally valid.
To say that certain rules under certain conditions must be strictly adhered to is the very philosophy that stifles artistic impression and creativity.

It's wise to seek criticism and to follow advice but ultimately, you should go with your own feelings and if you like the end result then that is all that matters.

Very constructive i'm in whole agreement what ones might see as good someone else may see as bad thats what makes us human after all.

The waterfall image has been seen many many times, i justed wanted to have a go at replicating it myself by getting shutter speed and exposure right. It was my first attempt and a little more difficult than i thought especially having the shutter open longer ment exposure was to high on the first few shots, however i got it near right in the end. Its all about experimenting. i was pleased with it in the end.

What is most important in any hobby is you yourself enjoy it and what you do makes you happy. If others like it thats a nice bonus. When your doing it for a profession thats a diffrent matter all together
McBrian
Posted 04/03/2007 - 16:50 Link
Calm down guy's, lets not lose anyone by getting all steamed up.

Pete, you asked for comments, you should accept them, good or bad but always remember that the comments you get are from that persons perception, don't take them personally, just enjoy YOUR pics. You also rather showed your naivety in your post about depth of field, this is basic stuff so I'm not surprised you got some of the replies you did.

Take it on the chin and learn how to cope with others views and comments.

Oh! and enjoty your time in the sun.

Regards

Brian
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:15 Link
Quote:
No problem at all Drew infact i really appreciate your comments as i am learning day by day. However i will be without my DSLR for a while when i sell it so ill have to stick to my compact for the moment.

Yes i have to admit praise is nice but i have learned that to be good at photgraphy one must listen to all points of view good and bad.

I understand i have a lot to learn but what is difficult is when you take a picture that you personally think is great that someone else finds majors faults. But thats whats its all about i suppose.

What would be really interesting is if someone else posted a top notch proffesional photo here and said they were an amatuer or novice etc.. just to see our comments from our points of view and see what reviews they recieved. Im sure there would be very miixed view and probably some would say bad this bad the other etc.. Which would go to show that each to his own

I love the images i have taken so far with the K10D and will miss it a lot for the time being. I have found the camera to be excellent in the short time i have had it. It has far exceded my expectations with regards to image quality and features.

Just one point Drew regarding the waterfall image of mine. You have edited out the stems which have now gone but i thought they added a little extra dimension to the image and also depth of field. Also think it to contrasty now, But Hah what do i know

Thanks again for your comments

Hi Brian

Please read the above. I welcome critisism this above quote was taken from the previous page please read all the thread if you have not done so.

I do however dislike people making incorrect opinionated assumptions. This drives me mad . I never do and wont do it. I like to give my own thoughts and comments. Im not saying they are right by any means but they are my own thoughts on any given issue and not based on what i dont know about a person.

Anyway back to photography Brian

Thanks again
Joshua Hakin
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:22 Link
McBrian wrote:
Calm down guy's, lets not lose anyone by getting all steamed up.

Pete, you asked for comments, you should accept them, good or bad but always remember that the comments you get are from that persons perception, don't take them personally,
Take it on the chin and learn how to cope with others views and comments.

I think Pete has been quite cordial and considerate in the face of a couple posts that were less than constructive and quite mean. (not all)
He's kept his cool.
I knew what Pete meant when he said depth of field... even if it's not the "proper term" I understood what he was driving at.
Anyway, it looks like people need to learn the meaning of the word "constructive" and how it operates differently than destructive criticism.
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:28 Link
Thanks Jashua

The problem sometimes is people in forums can lose touch with the real issue of being here thats to learn, look and help each other. Although this is the case for 95% of people using forums there are always some folk who think they know it all and like to boast the fact instead of assisting newbies in a more tactful manor.

Anyway Josh post some of you pics if you get chance

Pete
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:31 Link
WOW Josh just saw your images from your website. One word FANTASTIC

Heres a guy who can take photos

What camera do you use ???

Pete
Joshua Hakin
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:33 Link
lol
Thanks Pete, I just bought the K10D a couple months back, love it! Great film look it produces.
You'll have no trouble selling the camera.
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:36 Link
Really dont wont to sell it after seeing images like that ?

How long you been doing photography ?? Ive been doing DSLR for around 2/3 months. Mr Novice they call me

Great work Josh Great Work
McBrian
Posted 04/03/2007 - 17:53 Link
Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick but this line looked as though it might provoke another not so positive reponse.
Quote:
Anyway wouldnt mind seeing your oh so good photos for reviewing

Quote:
Hi all if someone wanted a extremely shallow depth of field say f2.8 to blur the background on portraits for example. To obtain an apeture of f2.8 would this be down to the lens you buy or cameras settings ??

Sorry again, I can only interpret this question one way, but Hey!! I'm only an engineer not a lanuage expert.

BTW: I actually quite liked the third image Pete.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Joshua Hakin
Posted 04/03/2007 - 18:17 Link
petekd wrote:
Really dont wont to sell it after seeing images like that ?

How long you been doing photography ?? Ive been doing DSLR for around 2/3 months. Mr Novice they call me

Most of the photos on my site are from the istD so far, with some film ones. Haven't posted many of the K10D shots yet.

I've been shooting for about 8 - 9 years, and digital for 3.
Are you still gonna have a DSLR to use Pete?
Mr Novice! lol, ya we've all been there! When do we become Mr Expert?
Sometimes I look through some of my first rolls ever shot and wonder what I was thinking! As probably most would do looking back.
That's why it's good to keep everything you shoot so you can look back and still learn from mistakes made in the past and build upon them.
It's a never ending process.
petekd
Posted 04/03/2007 - 18:30 Link
[quote="McBrian"]Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick but this line looked as though it might provoke another not so positive reponse.
Quote:
Anyway wouldnt mind seeing your oh so good photos for reviewing

Yes Brian i did have a bit of dig (guilty) which came as a result of previous comment.

Anyway Deep Breath back to normal.

Hi Josh Looking forward to seeing the K10 pics.

Yes i will definately be getting a DSLR as soon as can (the K10D)

PS Ill be keeoing an eye on you site for new pics

Take Care

pete
Daniel Bridge
Posted 04/03/2007 - 23:15 Link
Galoot wrote:
...sell me your Sigma, or the hit-man will call next week !!!!

Okay, okay, it's yours for £60, just PM me your address.

Dan

P.S. I am of course referring to my Sigma 70-300 APO Macro, I assume that's the one you meant...
Daniel Bridge
Posted 04/03/2007 - 23:44 Link
As far as posting comments about other peoples pictures, or indeed having comments passed about my own, I would say the following...

If an image does nothing for me, I tend not to comment on it. I mean, if it neither pleases or displeases. Usually, that depends on whether the subject matter appeals to me, as much as the execution of the shot.

If it pleases me, I'll tend to say so, but I'll usually try to find at least one fault with it, just out of pure jealousy.

If it displeases me, I might say so, but probably only if it's in the context of a debate regarding the images.

I feel that unless someone says "This image doesn't seem to work for me, any ideas why that might be?", then they're posting a pic because they're pleased with it, and it works for them, and that's what matters at the end of the day. To have someone then say "It's rubbish because..." might not be helpful to the self-esteem of the photographer. I'm not saying that in relation to this post, just a general observation.

Regarding Pete's pics, I like the bridge one, but I'd like it more if there was a more defined path leading away from the other end of the bridge into the woods. I realise Pete couldn't do anything about that without a bowsaw.

The Stream I didn't like much, I found the grasses in the forground cutting across the water distracting, disecting what I considered the subject in two.

The Obalisk did nothing for me, just didn't engage my eye. There didn't seem to be a journey there, you just looked at the obalisk and that was pretty much it.

That's how I saw them, I'm guessing Pete saw them differently. I would guess they evoke emotions in him that they don't in me, because he was there, and can recollect the sound and smell of the stream, the birdsong nearby, etc, and the image therefore has more in it for him. Detaching the image from it's surroundings is, I think, one of the most important and difficult things in this type of photography, but without doing so, it's too easy to feel that the image works as a seperate entity, but when viewed by someone else it fails to elicit the same emotional responses.

That's fine if you take pictures for your own pleasure, it's more of a problem if you're selling them.

Going back to the 'journey' idea, I think the viewer should be able to move around and through an image, and that's why the bridge picture doesn't quite work for me. At the far end of the bridge there's a barrier, and it therefore feels a bit disjointed.

With the Stream, the grasses across the water force you to start the journey at the top of the waterfall, and from there you go straight back along the water and it's not a very interesting trip.

The Obalisk, I don't feel, is worth the trip to get there, it's not enough of a feature.

So there you go, that's my 2 penneth!

Dan
jonesy
Posted 04/03/2007 - 23:44 Link
dear Pete, Have been out of the big picture for a while & have just now returned to irritate people with my flippant comments. Ilove your pic of the waterfall, I find it very pleasing to the eye,& very restful, & would hang it on my wall quite happily. IMHO there is far too much CRAP spouted on these chat lines, IMHO ones pics are taken for ones own pleasure,& if they please others, fine, & by all means say so, but please dont waste the space by airing your spite on people who are takig good stuff, & getting pleasure from it, & showing us what they can do. Some of the spiteful & mean rubish that has been spouted, ( or should that be spat?) on this thread is almost unbeleivable, & it would serve the guilty parties right to find themselves banned from the users club!

best wishes Pete,

Harry Jones
Harry

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.