Probably my last pics taken with the K10D (very sad day)

petekd

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 14:56
Here are a few photos i took yesterday with he K10d. As you are probably aware i am having to sell this little Gem

Enjoy the pics (comments welcome Please) A very sad day

My first attempt at motion moving water and a few black and whites

petekd

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 20:21
Hi folks

I have seen many of you looking at the pics 63 so far, but i would like some comments please. Good,Bad

Thanks Pete

benjikan

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 21:46
petekd wrote:
Here are a few photos i took yesterday with he K10d. As you are probably aware i am having to sell this little Gem

Enjoy the pics (comments welcome Please) A very sad day

Very, Very nice work...I am so sorry that you have to give up your gear. I hope you can get back in to it soon..

Best Wishes
Ben
http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com http://www.benjaminkanarek.com http://www.pbase.com/benjikan/publishedworks

Galoot

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 21:48
You are asking for comments from quite a small group of photographers.

The people that post here are all Pentax users and they each have their own photographic interests. 10% might like a particular picture, 50% might hate it, and the rest don't care. Take your own pictures, if you like them, post them, we all like to see pictures, it spurs some of us on, ( me ).

I tend to like the more obscure, or 'arty' pics, or that macro stuff from someone called 'Daniel' ( I don't know him, but I hate him, sell me your Sigma, or the hit-man will call next week !!!!).

As for the pics you posted,

1. A bit dull, needs a lift and cropping. Don't like the borders.
2. Too much trees, needs more contrast, don't like the borders.
3. Don't like it at all.

Harsh, I know.

I'll post a couple so you can get your own back.

simonsteph

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 22:12
Galoot wrote:
....As for the pics you posted,

1. A bit dull, needs a lift and cropping. Don't like the borders.
2. Too much trees, needs more contrast, don't like the borders.
3. Don't like it at all.

Harsh, I know.

I'll post a couple so you can get your own back.

WOW!

Some desciption there!. Do you want to come to my photography class, you can reduce a few photographers to tears
Pentax User is just an anagram of 'A Sun Expert' or 'Tune Praxes'

Galoot

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 22:19
simonsteph, sure

date and time ....................................

Galoot

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 22:34
No, I didn't mean any offence, I was just trying say that picutres taken with Pentax equipment, has to stand against anything taken with Can. Nik. Min. Olym etc., etc., and I believe it can.

Mrs Fatty Smith, down in No.2 High St, Your Town, Anywhere FK2 YoU
can't tell what camera the image was taken on, any more than you or I could.

We just don't have to say the picture is 10 out of 10, just because it was taken on a Pentax.

And just like Mrs Fatty Smith, we all have our own opinions

Galoot

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 23:08
Have a go at these, I thought they came out quite good,

Stormy day on the road to Dunning

Rock in the 'Secret Place'

petekd

Link Posted 03/03/2007 - 23:53
Galoot wrote:
Have a go at these, I thought they came out quite good,

The first image is nice a little to sharp for my liking. The 2nd looks very grainy and bitty what camera did you use. It looks like noise.

Below is the original water picture without extra saturation i added. All this has had done is cropping and resize for the web.

What we all have to bare in mind is each and every one of us sees images different. By that i mean our PC screens are all configured and caliberated very different so on one screen an image may look to strong with colours and on another it might look perfect.

Galoot

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 02:35
I agree with your comments, the first image is 'sharp' but that's what I get with the A-50mm F1:1.4., it was the contrasts I was trying to show.

The 2nd image, was supposed to be a bit 'grainy', that was the effect I was trying for. I wanted it 'clean' - nothing but the water and the rock.

Yes we all have different screens, but that pic still seem 'dull' compared to to others I see,

Take away those 'stems' from the centre of your pic, wouldn't that be better ? And a little cropping ?

We all have different views, if we didn't, you could take all my pictures for me ?

photo*ist

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 07:28
petekd wrote:

No!! I did not know you changed your mind AGAIN. You keep editing your original post about selling your camera in another topic and I can't keep up. When you do that it doesn't show up as a new post and so nobody reads it again. Very confusing Pete. Editing a post is usually done to correct spelling or minor content re-wording immediately after posting, otherwise you should post again in the same topic if you have something to change or add on that topic.

petekd wrote:

Sorry Pete. I personally don't think much of any of those three pictures either. The cliché of a slow shutter speed on moving water (with the latest camera) does not automatically constitute a good picture and what else is there in that picture anyway? Adding a frame and an artsy title to compensate for lack of subject matter definitely doesn't work for me either and I feel it makes it worse. The bridge B&W conversion is very muddy and does not give me a good feeling at all. (If you built the bridge though, good job.) I liked the third one the best of the three but only because I was first interested in the contast of the diagonal of the hill against the sky. Here the title is actually the best part of the picture though. At least it gives us a hint at what we are to be looking for here.

When I find a picture I like a lot it has at least two strong elements in it, and three would be even better. Some examples are; great lighting, interesting subject, beauty, vivid colour, a message, something unusual, etc. Above all it must say something. Always ask yourself what "what am I trying to say?" In my opinion, if it has only one element, it is only a snapshot.

I know that you seldom take criticism of your submissions well and that is not that uncommon on sites like this. Many people get far more gratification from the ooooh's and aaaah's they receive from their submissions rather than truly learning anything from what others have to honestly say. I find I learn more if it I get a negative review and very little when it is all positive. I hope you realise I am honestly trying to help you and hope you receive it as it was given. I may be blunt but in no way do I intend to be mean.

Oh, and can I also give you a couple of other posting tips Pete? The word "I" is always capitalized even if it is in the middle of a sentence. Also, I don't know if you realise it but your apostrophe key is not working on your keyboard. Get it fixed! It makes your typing look like you are either lazy or just don't care if it looks like text messaging. That may be the reason people don't bother responding to you.

Regards

Drew

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 08:13
Pete,
I really like the 2nd one: Bridge To Far

Great contrast, and I like the amount of trees which create a chaotic pattern juxtaposed with the clean, straight, structured lines of the bridge.
This composition ties in nicely with the metaphoric reference in the title.
Nice creative thinking!

petekd

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 10:13
Quote:
Sorry Pete. I personally don't think much of any of those three pictures either.

Regards

Drew

No problem at all Drew infact i really appreciate your comments as i am learning day by day. However i will be without my DSLR for a while when i sell it so ill have to stick to my compact for the moment.

Yes i have to admit praise is nice but i have learned that to be good at photgraphy one must listen to all points of view good and bad.

I understand i have a lot to learn but what is difficult is when you take a picture that you personally think is great that someone else finds majors faults. But thats whats its all about i suppose.

What would be really interesting is if someone else posted a top notch proffesional photo here and said they were an amatuer or novice etc.. just to see our comments from our points of view and see what reviews they recieved. Im sure there would be very miixed view and probably some would say bad this bad the other etc.. Which would go to show that each to his own

I love the images i have taken so far with the K10D and will miss it a lot for the time being. I have found the camera to be excellent in the short time i have had it. It has far exceded my expectations with regards to image quality and features.

Just one point Drew regarding the waterfall image of mine. You have edited out the stems which have now gone but i thought they added a little extra dimension to the image and also depth of field. Also think it to contrasty now, But Hah what do i know

Thanks again for your comments

Pete

photo*ist

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 15:12
[quote="petekd"]
Quote:
Just one point Drew regarding the waterfall image of mine. You have edited out the stems which have now gone but i thought they added 3D to the image and also depth of field. Also think it to contrasty now, But Hah what do i know

Pete

Yes, what do you know? It was Galloot that took the liberty with your photo, not me. And, you have a LOT to learn about what depth of field means.

Drew

petekd

Link Posted 04/03/2007 - 15:54
[quote="photo*ist"]
petekd wrote:
Quote:
Just one point Drew regarding the waterfall image of mine. You have edited out the stems which have now gone but i thought they added 3D to the image and also depth of field. Also think it to contrasty now, But Hah what do i know

Pete

Yes, what do you know? It was Galloot that took the liberty with your photo, not me. And, you have a LOT to learn about what depth of field means.

Drew

Sorry i see the error it was Galloot it was quite early this morning and my brain was not working fully. I needed a coffee

As for depth of field i understand it perfect. Front to back, edge to edge (were aplicable) sharp focus and clarity. Apeture 16,22,32 onwards normally does the trick

Please dont presume what you dont know about me Drew. My main point was the stem added Dimension slightly but it isnt really important.
Anyway wouldnt mind seeing your oh so good photos for reviewing
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.