Print sizes

tyronet2000

Link Posted 19/05/2015 - 07:27
Using aK-5IIs and taking an image (RAW) what is the largest print size that could be available after it was processed asuming very little or no cropping was needed. Files have been requested for a project which could possibly be enlarged to A0.
Regards
Stan

PPG

spinno

Link Posted 19/05/2015 - 08:27
The image produced assuming no cropping is 4928 x 3624... purists reckon at 300pixels per inch you would get top quality print at 16 x 12 inches which is roughly A3. However depending on viewing distance you could go larger... If you print at 150 pixels you would get 32 x 24 which is A1 and but to get A0 you're printing 100 pixels.
Provided your audience aren't nosing up to the print that may be acceptable.
To test this you could do a print of a section of your image at the different sizes and "stand back" and see what they would look like at the various pixels per inch.
(I'm damn sure that someone will come on and correct me for using the terminology pixels/inches for printing but this is how I work I'm not a qualified printer (or anything for that matter))
David

alfpics

Link Posted 19/05/2015 - 08:37
spinno wrote:
The image produced assuming no cropping is 4928 x 3624... purists reckon at 300pixels per inch you would get top quality print at 16 x 12 inches which is roughly A3. However depending on viewing distance you could go larger... If you print at 150 pixels you would get 32 x 24 which is A1 and but to get A0 you're printing 100 pixels.
Provided your audience aren't nosing up to the print that may be acceptable.

Agreed.

I have sometimes gone for 250 pixels per inch which gives you a tad over A3 plus size from my K5ii without having to scale up or interpolate. I have a panoramic crop off a single file from the K10 (10 megapixels) where I scaled it up to make it just over 21inches wide - and to my eye at normal viewing distance it looks sharp and full of detail
Andy
Last Edited by alfpics on 19/05/2015 - 08:38

johnriley

Link Posted 19/05/2015 - 08:56
300ppi is perfect for printing, as we're talking about the image size, so nothing wrong with our nomenclature. (dpi isn't a factor here as that refers to how many dots of ink the printer lays down per inch).

The image as it comes out of the camera is set at 300ppi and is approximately A3, which is spot on for exhibition and competition prints. We can use Photoshop to resample and make much bigger prints, but also the ppi can be reduced if we are viewing at a distance. We would be viewing, for example, an A1 print from much further away, so it wouldn't be a problem.

As for the largest size you can print, which was the original question, it could be any size you like, even a wall sized poster, if it's being viewed at the appropriate distance.
Best regards, John

tyronet2000

Link Posted 19/05/2015 - 09:12
Thanks for the info everyone. I think what is required is a PDI size print and if it's selected the original file is to be submitted and this will be printed out by the "experts with suitable printers to the size required.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.