Pricing on the DA 50mm f1.8 prime?

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/08/2013 - 07:05
Hi all,

I've got an older manual focus 50mm prime. It is the f1.7 version and has an A setting. It's been 'de clicked' so the aperture ring travels easily, but it's now dropping out of the A setting too easily and this annoys the camera a lot, and me!)

I'm considering upgrading to the plastic mount DA 50mm autofocus version, and am wondering on what price this goes for?
I'm thinking either good deal on new, or alternatively close to original condition 2nd hand?

I've got the 35mm version and do actually love it. (2nd hand via Pentax User UK forum ). I wasn't sure on the view angle but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's been ideal for a lot of my video work on the APS-C K-30.

Anyhow, would appreciate getting a feel for what these are going for presently, and also any other thoughts you may want to contribute

Thanks,
Richard.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 10/08/2013 - 07:07

Boyo2406

Link Posted 10/08/2013 - 10:14
You could try the CEX website they had one a t a good price last time I was on there.
Digital

K-30, GX-10, DA 16-45, DA 18-55 and DAL 55 - 300

Film

ME Super, 2 x MX, SP 500 and SP F

and lense or 2

Blueforever

Link Posted 10/08/2013 - 16:13
one in Bayswater.... 126 Queensway London
W2 6LS http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENPENSMCDA50F18

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/08/2013 - 21:44
Thanks for the heads up guys.

What's the vibe on this lens versus say the FA 1.4 50mm?

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 10:43
Reading the reviews it seems the FA 1.4 has an aperture ring, so that's useful for macro tube type work. But it looks like it's rather soft at 1.4 so is most likely comparable to the 1.7 DA anyway. Also the FA appears to have some colour fringing CA issues. Oh and you get the cool distance meter

But the DA has apparently really bad autofocus in lower light, and no aperture ring. The DA is quite a bit cheaper but seems to punch above it's weight. Seems good on sharpness and no CA colour issues.

All and all the seem pretty similar really. Anyone have any strong thoughts either way?

cabstar

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 17:19
I owned both the da 50 and the older f50 at 1.8 image wise there was very little difference between them. I never notied any debradation in af speed in fact the opposite i thought the da was slightly faster. I sold the da in the end as inalways went for my 1.4

I liked the da but owning the f meant inhardly used it. I have some examples on my flickr stream somewhere and i posted a report on this forum somewhere else, possibly in the lens section...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Last Edited by cabstar on 11/08/2013 - 17:25

cabstar

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 17:24
Heres a link to the flickr examples, cant dind the post on here as searching for da50mm brings upnothing....

link

I think i saw the oentax guy in scotland selling them new for 179 on ebay.
Concert photography

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 19:58
Thanks cabstar, always great to get first hand experience knowledge.

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 21:21
Actually, whilst I'm at it...

Does anyone know if there's a common fault with the older Pentax-A manual focus lenses? Mine won't stay in the A setting, and when it moves even slightly away from this the camera has to stop and rethink things.

Is this a common issue? And is there an easy fix?

Reading, it doesn't look good, although I can check to see the 'A' pin is moving freely, and has the right resistance etc. My lens came 'declicked' on the aperture side of thing, but I fear that probably actually means something broke, rather than it being actively and nicely modified.

Aperture Ring Stuck

Aperture Problem

johnriley

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 21:38
Some early A series lenses were prone to failure of the aperture ring, but it isn't a general problem. I have only ever had one that failed and it was a very early SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 - the aperture mechanism fell apart.

Unfortunately I tried to fix it and was rewarded by a spray of springs and ball bearings that would not go back together again....we live and learn!
Best regards, John

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/08/2013 - 22:00
Ha, sounds like an amusing story there John!

My aperture ring works fine, it's just it doesn't lock into the A setting any more. More specifically there is a very narrow band with which it works. If it slips out of that sweet spot the camera detects it as being a manual lens and I have to lock it back in again...

cabstar

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 00:56
johnriley wrote:
Some early A series lenses were prone to failure of the aperture ring, but it isn't a general problem. I have only ever had one that failed and it was a very early SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 - the aperture mechanism fell apart.

Unfortunately I tried to fix it and was rewarded by a spray of springs and ball bearings that would not go back together again....we live and learn!

I did the same here
Concert photography

Algernon

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 08:38
It's a plastic rivet that fails. It can be fixed, details here.....
link

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

stevejcoe

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 08:49
If it has been declicked, I assume the small ball bearing and pressure spring, that hold the aperture ring in its selected position have been removed. Replacement ball bearings and springs can be sourced online relatively cheaply.
Disassembly guides are also online.

Regards Steve

richandfleur

Link Posted 12/08/2013 - 09:01
Without knowing more I wouldn't mind it being de clicked, but would need it to still click/ lock into the A mode.
Not sure if its the same part doing those tasks or not.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.