preparing for patagonia


mattox

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 10:28
Hi there everyone, been a while. My wife and I are going to Patagonia in 6 weeks time. To accompany my K5 I am taking with me my 16-50 lens for landscapes etc which will suit me finely. Being more of a landscape photographer I have never had the opportunity to dive into Wildlife. I have an old sigma 18-200 that I used back in the 35mm days but the lens doesn't perform to my expectations today. Therefor I will be looking for a nice zoom, i.e. 50-200, 70-300, that doesn't break the bank but performs on an amateur/pro level. With all the zooms out there today from pentax to sigma to tamron, does anyone have any suggestions on what could be a good lens for this trip. Any ideas on where to get one at a good price online?

Really appreciate the feedback

http://www.mattbishopphotography.com/p532217924/e4e801e9e

milamber

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:05
I was in exactly the same situation with an upcoming trip. I had the DA* 300mm for a while which is a great, if pricey, lens, but found the weight excessive, especially for traveling. I now have the DA 55-300mm instead. It's heaps better than anything else in the price range - you should be able to pick up a good used one for around 190 or so. The 50-200 is nice, but not on a par with the 55-300mm and the extra reach is useful. It's relatively small and portable as well - another bonus for traveling.

Amazon at 225 is the best new price at the moment, I think
Last Edited by milamber on 11/01/2013 - 11:06

carmagw

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:07
Good price on amazon at the moment.

link

This is the lens I take on holiday with the 17-70.

edit - just realised milamber quoted the amazon price.

Regards

George
Last Edited by carmagw on 11/01/2013 - 11:12

Gwyn

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:24
SRS have an unboxed one on offer for 199GBP too.

Mike-P

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:36
You also get a 20 voucher to spend at Amazon if you buy in the next couple of days.
. My Flickr

DrOrloff

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:42
That will be fantastic. A 50-200WR could be useful in Patagonia. Otherwise 55-300 for IQ. Good IQ for the price and not much money to risk in a rugged environment. I'm about to sell mine. Because it has a replacement Chinese hood I'll be knocking a fair few quid off the price, let me know if you're interested.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

judderman62

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:46
I love my 55-300 - prob my joint fave lens for my pentax kit
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

mattox

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:46
DrOrloff wrote:
That will be fantastic. A 50-200WR could be useful in Patagonia. Otherwise 55-300 for IQ. Good IQ for the price and not much money to risk in a rugged environment. I'm about to sell mine. Because it has a replacement Chinese hood I'll be knocking a fair few quid off the price, let me know if you're interested.

how much? could be interested?

mattox

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:47
thanks everyone. So i take it that means that third party models aren't quite as good as the 55-300?

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:56
Hi... I went trekking/camping in Patagonia (Chilean side) a few years ago around the Torres del Paine...

Firstly, congratulations... you'll have the most amazing trip...

Secondly, can't really comment on zooms, I'm afraid, but I'd definitely suggest taking at least one lens that's weatherproof... the weather in Patagonia is genuinely remarkable... it really can change on a sixpence... expect your DA*16-50 to come in very handy indeed... it's at its best when it's at its wildest...

I was there in November, just after they'd reopened some of the trails after winter... very cold, very wet, very windy and quite magnificent...

Enjoy
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

DrOrloff

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 11:56
I think the 55-300 is best in class. It will be great for longer focal length landscapes. The SRS one is the DA-L version.

I'll have a think about a price and PM you. Otherwise Darkskies is flogging one too.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 11/01/2013 - 11:56

darkskies

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 12:00
Make me an offer!

link
This space deliberately left blank.

Snootchies

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 12:20
To suggest and alternative - I've always liked the Tamron 70-300 in the past. Don't need it now as I have the 55-300, which ever so slightly trumps it but it used to give great results, and a decent macro mode too which may give you more options that the 55-300.

Purple fringing appeared in high contrast situations though, but the upside is that you can usually get the 70-300 for around 70.

Here's a shot I took a while back now with it:


Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

mattox

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 18:04
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
Hi... I went trekking/camping in Patagonia (Chilean side) a few years ago around the Torres del Paine...

Firstly, congratulations... you'll have the most amazing trip...

Secondly, can't really comment on zooms, I'm afraid, but I'd definitely suggest taking at least one lens that's weatherproof... the weather in Patagonia is genuinely remarkable... it really can change on a sixpence... expect your DA*16-50 to come in very handy indeed... it's at its best when it's at its wildest...

I was there in November, just after they'd reopened some of the trails after winter... very cold, very wet, very windy and quite magnificent...

Enjoy

thanks for the helpful advise. I can t wair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattox

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 18:05
Snootchies wrote:
To suggest and alternative - I've always liked the Tamron 70-300 in the past. Don't need it now as I have the 55-300, which ever so slightly trumps it but it used to give great results, and a decent macro mode too which may give you more options that the 55-300.

Purple fringing appeared in high contrast situations though, but the upside is that you can usually get the 70-300 for around 70.

Here's a shot I took a while back now with it:


Nice shot. Looks very clean. I will do a bit of research in to that one and get back to you. Cheers and thanks for the time
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.