Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Prepaid Film

JPC1970
Posted 01/05/2009 - 12:23 Link
Hi

I have purchased a roll of prepaid slide film from boots yesterday to test out my new Pentax MX. I see that it comes with an envelope to send it off in. There is a "Please Affix Stamp" area on the front of it.

Do I only need to attach one first classs stamp to send the roll of film or do you need more ?

Jason
K30 & 18-55mm WR.
johnriley
Posted 01/05/2009 - 12:37 Link
It used to be one first class stamp, unless the new rules on postage changed that. I'd check at the PO just to make sure.
Best regards, John
shim
Posted 01/05/2009 - 17:21 Link
There was a big row about this when the PO changed their way of charging. The Labs said it would put them out of business. I think it's just over the letter rate (goes on width).

shim
JPC1970
Posted 01/05/2009 - 17:40 Link
Just got back from posting it at the post offcie and you are quite correct shim.

It was just a tad too wide for the large letter guide slot. The postage was £1.28 1st class in the end, 2nd class would have been £1.08.

If you were to just put a stamp on and put it in the letter box not sure if they check every letter or if they have an automated checking system but if not you may get away with it.

Jason
K30 & 18-55mm WR.
fatspider
Posted 01/05/2009 - 23:11 Link
Quote:
There was a big row about this when the PO changed their way of charging. The Labs said it would put them out of business

Poor old Post Office we all know that its digital and inkjet printers thats putting the labs out of business, why blame the PO?

Jason, why not have a go at developing your own? E6 developing is pretty straight forward (as long as you follow the instructions) all you need is a changing bag and a lightproof developing tank plus a few measuring containers, the biggest headache I found was washing the film at preset temperatures, but this is no problem if you have a thermostatic shower. just detach the shower head and shove the hose into the dev. tank

Of course you'll need a duff roll of film to practice loading the film onto the dev. tank reel before you attempt it in the changing bag with a good roll
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
shim
Posted 02/05/2009 - 09:53 Link
impotentspider wrote:
Quote:
There was a big row about this when the PO changed their way of charging. The Labs said it would put them out of business

Poor old Post Office we all know that its digital and inkjet printers thats putting the labs out of business, why blame the PO?

Of course it was the PO who ruined the FREE FILM business's £1.28 to post to the customer instead of 39p.... 228% increase plus the PO probably set the package thickness to catch the films due to the amount being posted.

shim
wasleys
Posted 02/05/2009 - 10:37 Link
JPC1970 wrote:
If you were to just put a stamp on and put it in the letter box not sure if they check every letter or if they have an automated checking system but if not you may get away with it.

But what happens if you don't? The lab will probably refuse to pay postage due (+ fee) so presumably it will end up being returned to you eventually. Knowing today's Royal Mail you'll possibly end up paying for that too.

Out of interest when you measured it was the film in the container or loose in the envelope? Would the film alone (perhaps enclosed in a poly bag for protection) have been OK?

Michael
johnriley
Posted 02/05/2009 - 11:17 Link
Don't ever send a film without its container - if it gets squashed then when the packet is opened your film will be ruined.

I only ever did this once, in 1972, and yes, it got squashed. The light did not ruin all the images competely, but it was far from ideal.
Best regards, John
JPC1970
Posted 02/05/2009 - 15:37 Link
wasleys wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="JPC1970"]
Out of interest when you measured it was the film in the container or loose in the envelope? Would the film alone (perhaps enclosed in a poly bag for protection) have been OK?

Michael

I posted the film in the container, so not sure if it would fit out of the container but I probably wouldn't post it like that anyway.

Jason
K30 & 18-55mm WR.
Peter Elgar
Posted 04/05/2009 - 17:33 Link
BonusPrint are tightening up - I sent three films in a 'bargain rate'envelope at £1-99 for 36 shots +postage at 70p per film and they returned it in another envelope un-opened and a note saying' Old Envelope please use enclosed' and there was another BonusPrint envelope at over £4 for processing + £1-50 per film - well it was cheaper to take films to a High Street processors here on the two-day rate.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
fatspider
Posted 04/05/2009 - 23:26 Link
[/quote]

Of course it was the PO who ruined the FREE FILM business's £1.28 to post to the customer instead of 39p.... 228% increase plus the PO probably set the package thickness to catch the films due to the amount being posted.

shim[/quote]

My reply was tongue in cheek Shim
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 04/05/2009 - 23:26
Steve Chasey
Posted 05/05/2009 - 14:19 Link
The stamp needed is a 1st or 2nd Class "Large".

You can get 3 rolls in a small light weight padded bag (19-25p each) and still stay within the weight limit. Need to be careful the containers all line up so the o/a width stays within the 25mm depth allowed. The old Fuji Film prepaid envelope wasn't padded but still would count today as "Large".

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex
justjas
Posted 16/05/2009 - 22:19 Link
Quote:
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era!

Still have his book "Illustrated Teach Yourself Photography" on my bookshelf!

The Old Master!
jas
Edited by justjas: 16/05/2009 - 22:45

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.