Potential disaster, please help :-(


Daydreamjay

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:13
I shot my first (paid) wedding today and after taking every precaution that I thought possible i.e. buying a second camera body as a spare, extra lenses, spare radio triggers and lots of practice and research I was seemingly kicked in the balls by what looks like an SD card failure.

This is the first time it has ever happened to me and I am gutted - I can't envisage how it could have been prevented as the previews were showing up on the camera after every shot so I presumed everything was fine. Typical that in 1000's of photos shot the first ones to fail were at a wedding

Fortunately I anticipated every eventuality and spread my shots across 3 memory cards ( even though I have never had an SD card fail before ) so the shots lost are only about 30% of what I did. But typically they were the crucial group family shots. I really am gutted about this.

Anyway - the files still preview on the camera so the embedded jpg in the DNG RAW file is still intact, but when I try to import to LR or open in PS I just get file corrupt messages - also when trying to convert the RAW with the card in my K-5 to a jpg it throws an error.

I have read that the RAW file contains a fairly acceptable jpg preview image that although not ideal is at least something. I have yet to find a program that will extract this for me, can anyone help?

Also - a question for you wedding togs out there - how can you protect about such an eventuality happening? If an SD card fails but the previews still show on the camera then how can you know?

I hope someone can help.

Don

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:21
Daydreamjay wrote:
I shot my first (paid) wedding today and after taking every precaution that I thought possible i.e. buying a second camera body as a spare, extra lenses, spare radio triggers and lots of practice and research I was seemingly kicked in the balls by what looks like an SD card failure.

This is the first time it has ever happened to me and I am gutted - I can't envisage how it could have been prevented as the previews were showing up on the camera after every shot so I presumed everything was fine. Typical that in 1000's of photos shot the first ones to fail were at a wedding

Fortunately I anticipated every eventuality and spread my shots across 3 memory cards ( even though I have never had an SD card fail before ) so the shots lost are only about 30% of what I did. But typically they were the crucial group family shots. I really am gutted about this.

Anyway - the files still preview on the camera so the embedded jpg in the DNG RAW file is still intact, but when I try to import to LR or open in PS I just get file corrupt messages - also when trying to convert the RAW with the card in my K-5 to a jpg it throws an error.

I have read that the RAW file contains a fairly acceptable jpg preview image that although not ideal is at least something. I have yet to find a program that will extract this for me, can anyone help?

Also - a question for you wedding togs out there - how can you protect about such an eventuality happening? If an SD card fails but the previews still show on the camera then how can you know?

I hope someone can help.

I do a wedding, I bring TWO photogs, 4 d-slrs, 3 video camcorders and lighting equipment and dj equipment to the table...

your best bet is to head over to lexar and download thier data recovery software....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Daydreamjay

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:26
Don wrote:

I do a wedding, I bring TWO photogs, 4 d-slrs, 3 video camcorders and lighting equipment and dj equipment to the table...

your best bet is to head over to lexar and download thier data recovery software....

Thanks for the link advice.

How do you safeguard against SD card failure?

Don

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:35
Two photogs shooting at the same time. Otherwise it you are at the mercy of the software. It really isn't a common problem.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Daydreamjay

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:50
Don wrote:
Two photogs shooting at the same time. Otherwise it you are at the mercy of the software. It really isn't a common problem.

Well I fell victim to an uncommon problem in that case. Would seem a useful feature for DSLRs to have a feature that verifies a file's integrity after shooting, do any of them have it?

pentaxian450

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 01:51
I remember photographing a wedding (a long time ago) with films, and the pro lab I was using got a processor malfunction, and ruined all the films. So, as you can see, nothing has been re-invented.

Anyway, your best bet is a card recovery software. Good luck.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Don

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 02:05
pentaxian450 wrote:
I remember photographing a wedding (a long time ago) with films, and the pro lab I was using got a processor malfunction, and ruined all the films. So, as you can see, nothing has been re-invented.

Anyway, your best bet is a card recovery software. Good luck.

A clause in the wedding contract should covers ones donkey/mule/ass in the unlikely event...... but yeah, software recovery.... I had one corrupted file for video on my kr while testing... I guess it might be due to turning the camera off whilst it was writing to the card, but not everyone agree with that theory....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 08:03
The card, if it's readable, should still have the files, but it's possible that many of them have grey sections. If the DNGs appear on the camera, you've got a good starting point.

Try Photorec and see what that comes up with. You will want to copy the contents of the card somewhere else, first.

The thumbnails are just that, I would not rely on them for anything.

Turning the K5 off while it's writing to the card will not break anything as the camera continues to empty the buffer until it's done (witness the orange light). I had some errors with the JPGs from the weekend, but that was because I was copying to a disk that decided to disconnect itself halfway through. Those pics are frequently half grey.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

flossie

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 08:33
This is why many wedding photographers swear by dual-card cameras (which rules out Pentax sadly), so everything gets written twice. Quite common to do raw version on one and jpg on the other as well.

Does make you wonder how they managed in the days of film though... maybe because you shot more than one roll there would always be some shots...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

Mannesty

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 08:51
Daydreamjay wrote:
Fortunately I anticipated every eventuality and spread my shots across 3 memory cards ( even though I have never had an SD card fail before ) so the shots lost are only about 30% of what I did.

I'm not sure that the card slot in the camera is robust enough to handle so many card changes.

Much better to have two identical, or near identical, bodies and use them both on a shoot.

Having a spare body in case one breaks is OK, as long as you know that the one you are using has broken in some way.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 06/06/2011 - 08:52

Blythman

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 09:10
Have you tried copying the contents of the card to another and see if the images are accessable then?

If you can't get recovery software to work, then maybe as a last resort you can convert in camera.
Alan


PPG
Flickr

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 09:38
bretti_kivi wrote:
The card, if it's readable, should still have the files, but it's possible that many of them have grey sections. If the DNGs appear on the camera, you've got a good starting point.

Try Photorec and see what that comes up with. You will want to copy the contents of the card somewhere else, first.

The thumbnails are just that, I would not rely on them for anything.

Bret

For what it's worth ...
chrisinkpen and I were comparing his new K7 and my K20D last week, and in a spirit of investigation we popped his SD card into a cardreader connected to my Apple TiBook. Now this is an old one - 400 mhz, with PSE4 installed - but surprise, surprise, it would open the RAW files.
Later I tried my PC (much faster, built in card-reader) and my installed PSE7 would also open the RAW files. In neither case would the RAW files give thumbnails, only the JPGs.
I would be surprised if your shots were not recoverable - given that they show on the camera. To show on the camera, they MUST be there somewhere, so first copy the card, and then work on the copy. It's easy for me to say that, because I can do card-to-card, or card-to-disk copies, but the second one is quite easy. Just don't look for any files or sub-directories - copy the card as a whole.
As a start, I would then try the software that Pentax gave you with the camera, and see if it can find the RAW files.
BTW, I did not think that the JPG file was embedded in the RAW file, but was written as a separate file - they certainly show up as separate in either version of PSE as above.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

MattMatic

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 10:56
Quote:
BTW, I did not think that the JPG file was embedded in the RAW file, but was written as a separate file - they certainly show up as separate in either version of PSE as above.

There is always a thumbnails embedded in the RAW
If yours showed as separate then you had RAW+JPG enabled on the camera!

The camera uses the thumbnail when scrolling through the images. However, I think once you try and zoom in on the image the camera will load the RAW image data and use that. Of course, you can also try using the in-camera RAW-to-JPG conversion - that will definitely process the RAW data.


Definitely I would copy the card and then work from that. Whenever something is going a bit AWOL you should leave the original well alone. Preferably engage the LOCK on the SD card to prevent anything from writing to it until you've got it resolved (but it may be too late for that already!).

Trying to use the supplied Pentax RAW converter is a good idea.

It might be worth downloading the latest Adobe DNG Converter tool (the stand alone one) and see if it can convert to DNG from the RAW files you have copied from the card. (I think you can do this even though the originals are DNG)

It's certainly possible to recover the embedded JPG from the RAW.

I suppose it's possible that something on your PC has written some data into the PEF/DNG file. Can you let us know computer & OS?

Quote:
I have read that the RAW file contains a fairly acceptable jpg preview image that although not ideal is at least something. I have yet to find a program that will extract this for me, can anyone help?

exiftool is one tool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 06/06/2011 - 10:59

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 11:20
Quote:
MattMatic wrote:
There is always a thumbnails embedded in the RAW
If yours showed as separate then you had RAW+JPG enabled on the camera!

Absolutely right - thats the way I have mine set up.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

womble

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 14:06
flossie wrote:
This is why many wedding photographers swear by dual-card cameras (which rules out Pentax sadly), so everything gets written twice. Quite common to do raw version on one and jpg on the other as well.

Does make you wonder how they managed in the days of film though... maybe because you shot more than one roll there would always be some shots...

Not entirely, the 645D has dual slots. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.