Possibly the most astonishing Rights Grab ever


gartmore

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 18:58
"Each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to GCC to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this Competition."

GCC is Glasgow City Council in a competition for students studying photography in a G postcode. It seems to be supported by Creative Scotland, the equivalent of the Arts Council in England and the local gallery Street Level.

An exciting day on facebook.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 17/12/2013 - 19:00

Blythman

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:07
Seems par for the course in lots of cases.

Even submitting a weather picture to the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/15893725

In contributing to BBC Weather you agree to grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide. This may include the transmission of the material by our overseas partners; these are all reputable foreign news broadcasters who are prohibited from altering the material in any way or making it available to other UK broadcasters or to the print media. (See the Terms and Conditions for the full terms of our rights.)
Alan


PPG
Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:15
As Alan says these are pretty standard for such things. Many claim the right to sell your photo on to third parties as well, without notifying you or offering remuneration or even a credit to you.

One reason I no longer enter such competitions.

Dodge69

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:19
worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence

Hmm, as a nice ring to it
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

gartmore

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:39
Blythman wrote:
Seems par for the course in lots of cases.

Even submitting a weather picture to the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/15893725

In contributing to BBC Weather you agree to grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide. This may include the transmission of the material by our overseas partners; these are all reputable foreign news broadcasters who are prohibited from altering the material in any way or making it available to other UK broadcasters or to the print media. (See the Terms and Conditions for the full terms of our rights.)

Alan, sadly there are people who are very happy to contribute to this and the glory of their snap, 'It was on the BBC!!! Did you see it???', obscured by a presenter thinking its OK.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:39
Dodge69 wrote:
worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence

Hmm, as a nice ring to it

Evil person
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

JAK

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 19:53
I've submitted and had used several photos on the local weather bulletins. The submission states that they are for use in their news/weather broadcast (by inference nothing more.) I believe this differs from submissions pertaining to that link which seems to refer to the national bulletins.
Anyhow thanks for that link - I had not seen those T&C before!
John K

gartmore

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:02
John, you are obviously happy with that but had they gone to a picture agency they would have had to pay around £250. Your picture, being unique and not available to anyone else is worth considerably more.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Blythman

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:06
Don't take it for granted JAK.

The other side

ITV http://www.itv.com/termsconditions/

By making a Submission to our Services, you grant us a licence (which means permission) to use, edit, reproduce, record, modify, translate, distribute, play, perform, make available to the other users of the Services, prepare derivative works of and to display your Submission by any medium or method whether now known or later developed to be exercised in our sole discretion throughout the world for the full term of copyright and other rights and all renewals and extensions thereof including, for the avoidance of doubt, the right to register any design rights and/or trademarks. You agree that this licence is: perpetual which means lasts forever; non-exclusive (this means you are free to grant this permission to other parties); royalty-free (which means we won't pay for the permission either now or in the future); and transferable (which means we can transfer the licence to our group companies or any other third party) and you agree that we can sub-licence this license (which means we can grant an equivalent permission to our group companies or other third parties in respect of your Submission). You also agree to waive your "moral rights" in your Submission.
Alan


PPG
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:23
While this isn't the same Look North as ours (think its yours Alan) their terms are different: Just "By sending in your picture you grant the BBC the right to publish it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wear/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8644000/8644872.stm
John K

JAK

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:26
gartmore wrote:
John, you are obviously happy with that but had they gone to a picture agency they would have had to pay around £250. Your picture, being unique and not available to anyone else is worth considerably more.

Community service! I doubt they have the budget to pay several weather photos each day, probably cost more than the presenter to include! Should they want to make a profit out of them then I'd think again. if they paid for them the license fee would no doubt have to double!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 17/12/2013 - 20:28

Blythman

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:31
JAK wrote:
While this isn't the same Look North as ours (think its yours Alan) their terms are different: Just "By sending in your picture you grant the BBC the right to publish it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/wear/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8644000/8644872.stm

Yeah, that's the local Look North John. Just a very vague "By sending in your picture you grant the BBC the right to publish it." The page was last updated in 2010. That single sentence is something that is open to different interpretations. Your interpretation may be that the can show it on the weather, and put it in their local charity calendar. Their interpretation may well be as per terms and conditions quoted earlier.
Alan


PPG
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 20:31
For the record, the photos they have used are here: link

Sometimes I have thought in the morning that I will go out and get a photo on the TV tonight. Then gone out and done just that.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 17/12/2013 - 20:51

Blythman

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 21:26
Here's a more recent BBC page John http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11287381
Alan


PPG
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 22:01
Something here too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/terms/faq.shtml#9
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.