Portrait with Pentax M 50mm F1.4

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 20:51
First serious portrait taken with the Pentax M 50mm F1.4 lens fitted to the K70. Quite pleased with the results as it was taken inside with no flash, 1/80 sec at f2.8.

Takes some getting used to going back to manual focus but made a lot easier using the magnified view in Live View.

Paul

pschlute

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 21:50
I don't think you have got the focus right with this. With a portrait you need to generally get the eyes (or an eye) in sharp focus. i am not seeing this here.
Peter

My Flickr page

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 22:36
pschlute wrote:
I don't think you have got the focus right with this. With a portrait you need to generally get the eyes (or an eye) in sharp focus. i am not seeing this here.

Peter

The download has lost some of the sharpness. On the original the nearest eye lashes are in focus, however because of the low light levels there is a narrow DOF with f2.8. I do find the lens is softer than expected below f4.

Paul

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 22:54
Peter

Just had another look at the original and hadn't fully appreciated just how narrow the DOF is with this lens. The central portion of the nearest eyelashes and eyebrow are in focus but the outer edges quickly soften. In future I will need to keep this in mind.

Paul

Lubbyman

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 23:03
The eyelashes look sharp enough to me - and I wouldn't be surprised if the subject wasn't sitting perfectly still, either! Personally, I don't mind a bit of softness in a portrait of a young child, as long as my eye is drawn to the point that the photographer intended. And I think you've done that.

Nice picture, I like it.

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 29/01/2020 - 23:41
Subject movement may well be an issue at 1/80 sec.

You are right to try magnified live view as it is the most accurate way to focus a manual lens. i love using the old lenses on the modern Pentax cameras
Peter

My Flickr page

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 30/01/2020 - 22:24
Just as an experiment I have now cropped the image in PS to 1000 pixels wide to see how sharp the eyelashes are now.

I think that the softness of the main image my be due to the way the image size was reduced for posting, I relied on the forum software reducing the image size rather than using PS.

How do others reduce image sizes for posting?

Paul

pschlute

Link Posted 31/01/2020 - 00:09
Yes it is noticeable Paul.

What I do is link my images from my Flickr account rather than upload them from my computer. That way they are displayed in a thread in a manageable size but by clicking on the image anyone can see the full size of the linked image. For web posting I usually chose around 2160 pixels on the long side.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 31/01/2020 - 00:10
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.