Portmeirion through an M50 (Image heavy)

PeterKR

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 13:56
PeterKR wrote:
pschlute wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="PeterKR"]

You press the green button once (not holding it down) while in Manual mode. The camera will stop down the lens to the aperture set and take a meter reading. It will set an appropriate shutter speed. Then you can take your picture. After taking a meter reading and setting the shutter speed the lens will be wide open again, but will stop down during exposure.
This enables you to focus with the brightest possible image.

Many thanks Peter. Thatís much clearer now so Iíll give it a try.

Peter

Here are the results of my initial trials of using the Green Button to set shutter speed. The lens this time is a Chinon 50mm f/1.7, similar to the M50 used at Portmeirion. I took 2 shots at f/8 and 2 at f/4.
These are the camera jpegs with NO PP adjustments except to reduce width to 1000pixels, so whilst quality may not be the best it gives an indication of how the green button does set the shutter speed (and also how f stop affects DoF !)

So many thanks again to Peter and David and here are the 4 shots, first 2 at f/8 and second 2 at f/4:-

I'm now converted !
Thanks again
Peter

droopsnoot

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 12:57
Some lovely shots of Portmeirion there, and an interesting challenge to use the manual lens. I set myself a similar challenge a few years ago in Llangollen without such good results, and it's really something I feel the need to have another go at. Aside from anything else the lens quality might be good - I've spent a couple of days at Oulton Park with my Sigma 50-500 set very close to 50mm, but lugging all that weight around because it seems to produce better quality images than the 18-200 Sigma I use as an everyday lens at the similar focal length.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

pschlute

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 14:56
The other thing to remember when using a manual lens is that the meter will switch from Matrix to Centre Weighted. You still have the option of spot meter, but Matrix cannot be used. There may be some scenes where this will make a difference.

I love using old lenses on my Pentax, and the M 50mm 1.7 is a favourite. Get a hood for it if you have not already, and when you take pictures check the histogram to see that you are not clipping.
Peter

My Flickr page

redbusa99

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 21:48
some beautiful shots of a place i must visit now
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

PeterKR

Link Posted 27/08/2019 - 22:57
pschlute wrote:
The other thing to remember when using a manual lens is that the meter will switch from Matrix to Centre Weighted. You still have the option of spot meter, but Matrix cannot be used. There may be some scenes where this will make a difference.

I love using old lenses on my Pentax, and the M 50mm 1.7 is a favourite. Get a hood for it if you have not already, and when you take pictures check the histogram to see that you are not clipping.

Many thanks again, Peter, for the additional tips.
Yes I do have a rubber hood that came with my F35-70. It's fortunate that the same 49mm filter thread is on the M50 and also my Chinon 50mm lens. It will also fit a Cosinon W 28mm that I will now try out.
Now that you've told me about the green button metering I'm keen to try out all my old (ebay) lenses that have been sitting unused for so long !
Thanks again
Peter
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.