Portmeirion through an M50 (Image heavy)

PeterKR

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 17:09
Having previously taken many photos of Portmeirion using a range of zoom lenses I set myself a challenge of using a 50mm Prime instead, relying on PoV composure instead of resorting to changing the focal length by zooming. The following shots were taken on my K70 using a Pentax M50 1.7. For some of the shots I set the camera to use Av but for others (the night shots in particular) I used full Manual mode so I could select both shutter speed and ISO rating. Obviously, this being an 'M' lens I had to preset the aperture and tried to use f/2 or f/2.8 as much as possible to put the lens (and myself) to the test.
Over a few days I took around 200 shots which I shortlisted to around 50. Here is a selection from those, including some from the village and the woods and shore in daylight and some at night.
NOTE: These are all full uncropped images so you can see the actual image 'as shot', but the sizes have been reduced for posting
I'm not sure about the lens but I concluded that the photographer still has much to learn about how to get the best from this lens !

All comments welcomed
Peter
Last Edited by PeterKR on 23/08/2019 - 17:12

pschlute

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 17:19
Very photogenic place. I must visit some day

If you are not already aware, using a M series lens in Av mode will mean all your shots are taken at widest aperture 1.7. The camera will not stop the lens down. If you want a slower aperture you must use M mode and use the meter or press green button to set the shutter speed
Peter

My Flickr page

johnriley

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 18:06
It's a great exercise to stimulate us to look at the world more closely. There was a time when many of us only had one 50mm lens, and it does mean that we need to work harder. You've done a great job!
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 18:55
Yes, use 'M' mode and the green button for metering. The lens will perform much better around f/5.6 or f/8.

You're lucky the K-70 can cope with f/2 @ 1/6000 sec. In the days John referred to those film cameras couldn't with some only offering 1/500, and at best for the top models 1/2000.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 23/08/2019 - 18:56

OldTaffy

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 19:41
That's a terrific set of photos of that rather strange place, especially given the limitations you set yourself. I really like the night-time photos.

Incidentally, I examined a nice Portmerion Pottery mug a while ago in a shop, and was shocked to discover that this piece of Portmerionware is now being made in China.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

pschlute

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 20:06
OldTaffy wrote:
was shocked to discover that this piece of Portmerionware is now being made in China.

Along with everything else.......
Peter

My Flickr page

JAK

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 20:33
Too true.
John K

PeterKR

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 23:13
Many thanks for all the comments and also the helpful tips on using the M series lens.
I tried to get help from the K70 Manual but found that rather limited ? I'll try some of your suggestions and take some local shots to experiment.
Re the aperture settings I must admit that I normally take most shots at f/5.6 or f/8 as most lenses seem to perform best around there ? However, as this was an opportunity to use a 'faster' (f/1.7) lens (as oppposed to most of my zooms which open to f/3.5 or smaller) I thought I'd put it through it's paces. For my next tests I'll stop this lens down as well.

Re the Portmeirion pottery we did examine the origins of many of the the items on sale there and whilst many of the newer designs were marked made in China most of the traditional designs were marked made in England, so don't give up !

Thanks again for all the comments
Peter

OldTaffy

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 23:38
PeterKR wrote:
most of the traditional designs were marked made in England, so don't give up !

Peter

England? When I was last there Portmerion was reckoned to be in Wales! (But maybe the factory is actually in England? - I seem to remember that Caithness glass is now made in Kings Lynn).

As for apertures on M42 lenses, my old K-x and my current K-S2 have a setting in the 'C' menu: "Using aperture ring", where one can tell the camera either to only work on "A" position (the default) or to release the shutter when the aperture ring is set to some specific f-value. In that case the aperture display in Av mode shows as a blank. Maybe your K70 menu does not have this option?

Martin.

OldTaffy

Link Posted 23/08/2019 - 23:49
Portmeirion: apologies. I have just checked Wikipedia and find that the pottery factory has always been in Stoke on Trent. It seems to have used the Portmeirion name primarily because one of the founders was the daughter of Clough Williams-Ellis (the creator of the Italianate village) and it was initially sold in the village gift shop. So 'Made in England' would be correct. Sorry for the rant - nothing to do with photography anyway.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 01:38
You really have got some nice shots there. I especially like the cast metal tables and chairs. With regard to "green button" metering, habit tends to make us look through the viewfinder, compose etc. and only then do we grope for the green button, cursing the need to keep focus and composition steady. I broke that habit by deciding what I would photograph and how I wanted the DofF - (camera is in M mode and the C menu item has permitted aperture ring). Set the aperture manually on the lens and simply point the camera vaguely at the subject, pressing the green button at the same time. The shutter speed is now set as well. NOW you start the business through the viewfinder and simply release the shutter when you are ready. Once you have retrained yourself, the green button becomes a doddle.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

pschlute

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 09:51
OldTaffy wrote:

As for apertures on M42 lenses, my old K-x and my current K-S2 have a setting in the 'C' menu: "Using aperture ring", where one can tell the camera either to only work on "A" position (the default) or to release the shutter when the aperture ring is set to some specific f-value. In that case the aperture display in Av mode shows as a blank. Maybe your K70 menu does not have this option?

Just for clarity, M42 are screw mount lenses and need to be used with an adapter. They will work in Av mode because they stop-down in real time.
It is the K and M series lenses (and A and later series if aperture at a numeric setting) that require the aperture ring menu setting to be set to "ALLOW". I believe all Pentax DSLRs have this menu item. They need to be used in M mode to allow use of the full range of aperture settings.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 24/08/2019 - 09:53

PeterKR

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 10:45
davidwozhere wrote:
You really have got some nice shots there. I especially like the cast metal tables and chairs. With regard to "green button" metering, habit tends to make us look through the viewfinder, compose etc. and only then do we grope for the green button, cursing the need to keep focus and composition steady. I broke that habit by deciding what I would photograph and how I wanted the DofF - (camera is in M mode and the C menu item has permitted aperture ring). Set the aperture manually on the lens and simply point the camera vaguely at the subject, pressing the green button at the same time. The shutter speed is now set as well. NOW you start the business through the viewfinder and simply release the shutter when you are ready. Once you have retrained yourself, the green button becomes a doddle.

Many thanks, David.
I was hoping that you would reply as I know you are a Master of Old Glass and would know 'the ropes'.
I did set the C menu to permit aperture rings but as the Manual just said 'the camera will now operate in Av mode I left it at that assuming it would use the preset aperture ?
I will now try your method of using the Green Button
One question though - do I need to keep holding the green button whilst pressing the shutter release ?

Thanks again
Peter

pschlute

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 11:25
PeterKR wrote:

I did set the C menu to permit aperture rings but as the Manual just said 'the camera will now operate in Av mode I left it at that assuming it would use the preset aperture ?
I will now try your method of using the Green Button
One question though - do I need to keep holding the green button whilst pressing the shutter release ?

If the manual said that it was wrong.

You press the green button once (not holding it down) while in Manual mode. The camera will stop down the lens to the aperture set and take a meter reading. It will set an appropriate shutter speed. Then you can take your picture. After taking a meter reading and setting the shutter speed the lens will be wide open again, but will stop down during exposure.
This enables you to focus with the brightest possible image.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 24/08/2019 - 11:29

PeterKR

Link Posted 24/08/2019 - 21:14
pschlute wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="PeterKR"]

If the manual said that it was wrong.

You press the green button once (not holding it down) while in Manual mode. The camera will stop down the lens to the aperture set and take a meter reading. It will set an appropriate shutter speed. Then you can take your picture. After taking a meter reading and setting the shutter speed the lens will be wide open again, but will stop down during exposure.
This enables you to focus with the brightest possible image.

Many thanks Peter. Thatís much clearer now so Iíll give it a try.

I looked again in the K70 Manual but it does not even mention the Green Button except in the illustration ! Thatís why I need people like you!

Thanks again
Peter
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.