Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Porthgwarra Cove ....Catching blue hour

Posted 14/07/2018 - 09:55 Link
Comment Image
Up to an early start in an effort to catch the blue hour and try and take some images of Porthgwarra cove. A 3.30 am start is not my idea of fun but at this time of year with sun rise at 5am there was no option. I have never tried getting a shot here before so with only 15 minuets of the blue hour I was left panicking to find compositions and firm footing. The series of shots were not the ones I had dreamed of catching ( as always) but a couple did surprise me in a good way

Defiantly worth a look if you find yourself down this corner of the worldComment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Comment Image

Thanks for looking
Tony
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams
Chrism8
Posted 14/07/2018 - 10:29 Link
Well worth the effort, for me #1 and #2 edge the other 3 with #1 being my fav.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
RobL
Posted 14/07/2018 - 10:44 Link
Lovely set. I love the muted colours and composition of the first one, I would be tempted in 2 and 3 to warm the colour temperature a bit, did you use an ND filter on these as they can give a blue cast? Nice swirly water in 4 and beautiful green Cornish sea in the last. Worth the effort to be up early but it does wipe me out for the rest of the day!
derek897
Posted 14/07/2018 - 11:08 Link
Love these.
3, 4 and 5 for me.
Great tones at blue hour. And you can see the colour temp change after it's passed.
Great shooting.
I know what i like, If not always why.
MrB
Posted 14/07/2018 - 11:54 Link
Nice set. For me 1, 4 and 5 are the most natural in colour, and 4 is my favourite (although I would brighten the rocks slightly).

Cheers.
Philip
Posted 14/07/2018 - 13:54 Link
Absolutely love these... super set... know Porthgwarra well... you’ve really caught a piece of it... there’s a beautiful sense of quiet in these... no.4’s my particular favourite, but the whole set is really strong...

Best
Edited by thingsthatihaveseen: 14/07/2018 - 13:54
Posted 14/07/2018 - 14:17 Link
Thanks Chris, no filters used Rob, at the time they were shot it was pretty dark and from memory I was using 120 sec exposure times so I guess the blue is just the effect of the sparse and cool light . It's amazing Dereck how quickly the light did change, it felt like 5 minuets and all shots were done with in an hour . Think you may have a good point there Philip, I will have a go at that. Thanks Bill, as always your comments are inspiring, it's a great spot to photograph as you know but I imagine it's jammed with beach goers right now
danofmk
Posted 14/07/2018 - 14:47 Link
The first one is a work of art, and one of my favourite photos I've seen on here

Great stuff
pschlute
Posted 14/07/2018 - 15:43 Link
These are all superb in my opinion. Well worth the effort.
K10D
Posted 14/07/2018 - 17:03 Link
Sterling work and very well photographed.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Posted 14/07/2018 - 21:35 Link
Thank you Gary and Peter. Danofmk that's a real compliment as the images I see here are amazing, thanks

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.