Portchester Castle IR on the *ist DL

karma mechanic

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 14:30
Yesterday I re-modified the Pentax *ist DL to get rid of some dust that was between the sensor and the low-pass filter, so today I set up the AF and did some real-world testing at Portchester Castle near Portsmouth in between heavy rain showers.

It must be said that this isn't the preferred weather for IR photography but the clouds were nice!

All at 10mm on the Sigma 10-20, except the church at 18mm on the kit 18-55 and the distant shot of Portsmouth at 55mm.
My own website is www.richardgaddphotography.com

Also on 500px

ChrisA

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 14:51
I love your IR shots, but these aren't really very IR-ish, are they? Except for the 'crop circles' one.

I also love it the way you say things like this:
Quote:
Yesterday I re-modified the Pentax *ist DL to get rid of some dust that was between the sensor and the low-pass filter

Are you a brain surgeon in real-life?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Eagle12

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 15:08
I have an *istDL. What exactly did you do

karma mechanic

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 15:15
ChrisA wrote:
I love your IR shots, but these aren't really very IR-ish, are they? Except for the 'crop circles' one.

No, these don't have the effects that IR gives to foliage and grass in sunshine, since for the most part it was very gloomy indeed! It did serve to bring out the drama of the clouds though, used simply as a B&W camera for shapes and textures rather than the IR 'glow' that you get in sunshine.

An experiment if you like.

Taking the filter off the sensor is easy. Getting the sensor out is the fiddly bit - for some reason they put it deep inside the camera

Eagle12 wrote:
I have an *istDL. What exactly did you do

This is a FrankenDL. I've removed the filter that normally stops IR from reaching the sensor, and replaced it with one that stops visible light from reaching the sensor. The sensor responds to IR just fine, so the end result is a camera that gives black and white pictures using the natural IR present in a scene. Have a look at my Flickr stream for more examples on other converted Pentaxes. Since you are a Plus member take a look at my two articles over on the right for more background. Part 1 and Part 2.

Also on 500px
Last Edited by karma mechanic on 26/10/2011 - 15:33

Eagle12

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 16:06
Sounds too scary for me to attempt.
What if any, are the alternatives.

karma mechanic

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 16:27
Eagle12 wrote:
Sounds too scary for me to attempt.
What if any, are the alternatives.

In good sunlight the DL can be used with a filter on the lens to give worthwhile IR shots, but exposures are borderline hand-held and you can't see through it without removing the filter. You'd need to invest in a filter suitable for whatever your main lens is.

I've decided to sell my own DL since I'm now using a modified K20D. Thread in For Sale is here.

Also on 500px

Joe S

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 20:59
Hmm, I have just taken a laptop apart and put it together again (changed a part in the middle of that process) Does that make me qualified for an IR job, you think ? My GX10 is just sitting on the shelf anyway.

I like #1 up there.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

karma mechanic

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 22:12
Joe S wrote:
Hmm, I have just taken a laptop apart and put it together again (changed a part in the middle of that process) Does that make me qualified for an IR job, you think ? My GX10 is just sitting on the shelf anyway.

There's no reason in principle why you couldn't convert a GX10/K10D/GX20/K20D yourself. After all, I had to learn how to do it from a few bits of information gleaned from the internet. Years ago I did a Sony F707, then recently I did a GX1L twice, this DL twice, and 3 different K20D's. Sadly a K-m didn't survive the operation and that's the risk. I think I'm better at it now than I was when that one failed

Also on 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.