Plunge to film...

bjolester

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 13:40
Photography has been a hobby on and off since early childhood. After a long period where I did not do any photography, I revitalized my interest in photography some years ago when buying my first DSLR, the K20D. About one year ago I was fortunate in finding a Pentax 67ii with some lenses for a very good price. Although this medium format kit is maybe "over the top" for my modest abilities, I just love using the 67. I probably only shoot two or three films a month, and have them processed and scanned at a photo lab in town. But all the same, it is a completely different photographic experience using the 67ii than my DSLR (which I use for most of my photographic endeavors). So, for me medium format film is a great supplement to digital cameras, and walking around with the Pentax 67ii kit is also a good way of keeping fit
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 17/01/2013 - 13:53

mdc

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 13:47
bjolester wrote:
walking around with the Pentax 67ii kit is also a good way of keeping fit

No arguments there haha, I once did a 16 hour location shoot using a Kiev 60; by the end of the day, I felt like I was dying.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 20:55
I had a point and shoot film camera as a kid and a few compact digital cameras in my teens but only really got into shooting film after buying a DSLR... ME-Super was my first 35mm SLR and sold my Orange ME-Super and a 50mil-1.4 to help fund the K5...
At present I own an MZ-7 - a Program-A and these 3 beauties:

The MX gets the most use of the lot (followed by the MZ-7) but they all look beautful on top of my bookcase
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

womble

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 22:12
I use film not because it is cheap, or because it is better, but simply because I enjoy it, partly because I enjoy using older cameras. Somehow the K20D seems soulless. An excellent workhorse, but never as much fun as an SV or the LX, or my Agfa Isolette II or my FED2, let alone the Horizont or the Lubitel 2. When I first got my K10D (hope it is still going well Andrew!) it revitalized my interest in photography but somehow along the way I was seduced by older film gear. I took the K20D out in the snow the other day with my DA* 50-135mm lens on it. Not a single sharp photo! I'm looking forward to getting the images taken on the Agfa Isolette II back from the lab.

I know film isn't for everyone,but that isn't the point. I enjoy it, and that is all that matters.

I keep looking at a Speed Graphic 5x4 in the local camera shop window... oh, how tempting!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 23:28
I have started to go back to film, not as a replacement to digital, but as a compliment to it. Even now in these sharp crystal clear digital age, there is something about film that you cannot quantify.
In the studio, a friend of mine, who uses film a lot, had a point by saying shoot digital to get all the shots you want, then switch to film, slow down and then get the shots that you REALLY want, one shot at a time. You still have the digital as a backup anyway.
This is what I do with my film, especially my MF camera.
Some Cameras

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 18/01/2013 - 07:35
womble wrote:
I use film not because it is cheap, or because it is better, but simply because I enjoy it, partly because I enjoy using older cameras.
K.

Which is what a hobby should be all about...
womble wrote:
When I first got my K10D (hope it is still going well Andrew!) it revitalized my interest in photography
K.

It is, Kris. I'm worried about wearing it out so I'm trying to ration the amount I use it. I'd hate to lose that lovely CCD sensor which has a quality all of its own at low ISOs. As Ofertonhatter says: there's asomething about the images one can't quantify.

Which is another point, of course: you and others, have access to thousands of old film cameras which still work (even if shutter times slow, they're often still usable). I have some ancient film cameras (one dating back to before the war) which click when cocked and tripped, but my "early" Fuji 3mp compact died one day without warning and never worked again. There is a built-in obsolescence with digital cameras which is a bit sad. I know that one day the K10 too will go the way of all flesh...
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Last Edited by bwlchmawr on 18/01/2013 - 07:38

rosstownsley

Link Posted 19/01/2013 - 14:02
Offertonhatter wrote:

In the studio, a friend of mine, who uses film a lot, had a point by saying shoot digital to get all the shots you want, then switch to film, slow down and then get the shots that you REALLY want, one shot at a time. You still have the digital as a backup anyway.
This is what I do with my film, especially my MF camera.

This sounds like a great idea to me but I suppose it mean always carrying two cameras.

bwlchmawr wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="womble"]I use film not because it is cheap, or because it is better, but simply because I enjoy it, partly because I enjoy using older cameras.
K.

Which is what a hobby should be all about...

Couldn't agree more Andrew!

Does anyone have any experience of a Durst B30 enlarger? I have seen one together with trays, tongs, timer etc for under £40 and it seems like a reasonable deal to me - any thoughts?
Pentax K5iis, Samsung GX-20, Pentax A 28, A 50, Tamron 28-70, 70-300

giofi

Link Posted 19/01/2013 - 17:13
rosstownsley wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of a Durst B30 enlarger? I have seen one together with trays, tongs, timer etc for under £40 and it seems like a reasonable deal to me - any thoughts?

Durst B30..... Those were the times.....

I still have it in its original box, although I have not used it for over 25 years! Back then I used it a lot and had lots of fun with it! It was a good basic enlarger, and the maximum I could afford as a student!
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Algernon

Link Posted 19/01/2013 - 17:46
Be careful buying old enlargers. Some of the bulbs are
no longer available.... especially the Photoflood type.
Alternatives may work, but it's finding out what does
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

rosstownsley

Link Posted 19/01/2013 - 18:01
Thanks Algi.... I am plumbing new depths of ignorance here

A very good point!

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 19/01/2013 - 23:06
rosstownsley wrote:

This sounds like a great idea to me but I suppose it mean always carrying two cameras.

The advantage of a studio is that you are not going anywhere, so carrying camera gear is not an issue. Take as much as possible, and have fun
Some Cameras

scouter

Link Posted 20/01/2013 - 13:51
the argument between film and digital to me unless your a Pro and doing it for a living, is about what enjoyment you get out of it for me personaly I enjoy using both formats and enjoy using film cameras that back in the day I couldn't aford but now I can pick up on ebay for a resonable price.
I get enjoyment out of things Retro as well as embracing new technology.

to rosstownsley go for it you should enjoy it.

Christopher.

cabstar

Link Posted 21/01/2013 - 22:53
I shoot digital for profesional reasons but shoot film for fun. When the film is full i drop it off to Tesco with the shopping get it processed and put on a cd for the princely sum of £1.97

I learnt to use the darkroom whilst doing a level photography, found it difficult and time consuming so now i combine film for shooting and work on the digital scans on the computer. A good compromise i find...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

rosstownsley

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 21:09
So I managed to get a hold of a ME Super with M50 1.7; seems ot work fine but it is filthy and gritty; may need stripped down and cleaned....dare I?! No quite in the same condition as DaveHolmes above.

I also managed to get a hold of an ME for the price of postage which is in much better nick...

I ahve stuck a cheap colour film in the ME super and will see what comes out the other end before stocking up on some B&W film for the real fun.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 21:38
rosstownsley wrote:
So I managed to get a hold of a ME Super with M50 1.7; seems ot work fine but it is filthy and gritty; may need stripped down and cleaned....dare I?!

Cleaning is a painful and slow process but should be fine... If you're stripping the leatherette off yourself - Do it slowly and try not to stretch it... You can use it as a template for cutting a new leather...
Check there's no 'goo' around the mirror and you'll probably want to replace the seals
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.