Pink Oyster Mushrooms

Lubbyman

Link Posted 12/01/2020 - 21:50
A 'grow your own pink oyster mushrooms' kit was under the Christmas tree 3 weeks ago. The fungus has now sprouted, one growth from each of the three orifices. Still a while before it's ready to harvest and eat. In the meantime, it looks like it's going to be an interesting photographic subject - and no need to go crawling around damp woodland to find it!

Here's the result of the first photographic session. Going for the dramatic look this time.
K3 + Sigma 105mm macro + LED light.

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 01:52
No.2 looks like it is ready to eat *you* never mind the other way around. Looks like you have some super photography lined up with these. I shall look forward to seeing it 'develop'.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

coker

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 08:24
That's cool, Steve!

Give us an idea of scale please.
To which "orifices" do you refer? Is the fungus growing in a box or what sort of container?

Good snaps to come!
A useful present!!

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 10:27
coker wrote:
Give us an idea of scale please.
To which "orifices" do you refer? Is the fungus growing in a box or what sort of container?

Each of the larger 'trumpets' is about an inch long, so plenty more growing to do before harvest time.

Sorry about not explaining the orifices. My excuse is that I'd just sent an e-mail saying 'one from every orifice' to my daughter who had given me the kit, she's a doctor so knows all about orifices and what can come out of them! The kit consists of a cubic cardboard box with three holes, each about an inch diameter (you can just about see them in nos. 2 and 3). Inside the box is a black plastic bag with slits under each of the holes. Inside the bag is a straw-like compost that has been impregnated with fungal spores. The only way out for the fungi is through the holes. You just spray the holes and wait, ensuring that the box gets a steady temperature about 18-20 degrees (C not F!) and isn't in bright light. Mine is in a big bucket inside a black bin liner in a corner of the living room - Mrs. Lubbyman hasn't complained yet!

I was told that I'm due to get another box with a different type of mushroom when this lot have been eaten.

Steve

vic cross

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 11:42
Snap. I got a box of a different type with only one orifice for my birthday on the 10th. I have duly followed the instructions and await the arrival of said fruit in approx two weeks time.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 13:28
vic cross wrote:
Snap. I got a box of a different type with only one orifice for my birthday on the 10th. I have duly followed the instructions and await the arrival of said fruit in approx two weeks time.
CHEERS Vic.

Don't forget to post some pictures.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.