Photoshop CS5: worth it at student price?

MrCynical

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 02:45
To cut a long story short I'll no longer be a student on October 1st, so I'm currently in a dilemma as to whether I should buy Photoshop at the student price before then. Could anyone who has both tell me what I'm missing compared to Lightroom? (purely for photographic use rather than the graphic-art side of PS)
Last Edited by MrCynical on 11/09/2011 - 02:46

Mannesty

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 04:14
You'll need to check if the license agreement allows to continue using the student edition afer you are no longer a student.

PS CS5 is hugely powerful, especially the Extended version.

I think PS Elements in combination with Lightroom would satisfy 99.999% of the needs of most photographers.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 09:22
Peter is quite right. Unfortunately I'm stuck with needing the full version because of some of the work I do, but that's untypical. However, I've never felt the need for Lightroom, so that's something less to buy.

The student price is quite good, but why not check with the course tutors before you buy?
Best regards, John

Anvh

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 11:48
Lightroom and photoshop are two different programme's with different purposes.
Photoshop is made to pixel edit while lightroom is made to manage and edit photos.

Photoshop comes together with bridge and the both of them can do almost anything lightroom can as well on top of that Photoshop can do so much more that it isn't even funny to make a list about it... hell i don't know even all the option while i'm using photoshop for 9 years now...
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

CoDa

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 16:50
A couple of guys at the camera club say that "they use 80% of it for 20% of the time" this is referring to CS5.

Having said that, there are lots of people who will agree with Peter's comment;
Mannesty wrote:

I think PS Elements in combination with Lightroom would satisfy 99.999% of the needs of most photographers.

Regards
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

cabstar

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 18:43
Lightroom for everything CS5 for content aware cloning, thats about it...

Adobe content aware link
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Gwyn

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 18:48
cabstar wrote:
Lightroom for everything CS5 for content aware cloning, thats about it...

Adobe content aware link

PSE9 has that too

cabstar

Link Posted 11/09/2011 - 18:51
Really?? I thought that was just with CS5, cool will check that out
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

MrCynical

Link Posted 13/09/2011 - 03:57
Mannesty wrote:
You'll need to check if the license agreement allows to continue using the student edition afer you are no longer a student.

It does - in fact it even makes me eligible for the 'upgrade' price of future versions (I know this from Lightroom). It also allows for commercial use, whereas it didn't a few years ago.

Mannesty wrote:
PS CS5 is hugely powerful, especially the Extended version.

That was my thinking: there's nothing I've particularly felt that I lack in the time I've been just using Lightroom with my K20D (2-and-a-bit years) so presumably my own photographic needs (or willingness to learn complicated image-processing ) don't need CS5. Just wanted to make sure there was no massively important feature I'd missed out on somehow before my discount eligibility expires. I might end up getting Elements since the content-aware healing tool seems quite capable even if it isn't quite the same as the one in Photoshop.
Last Edited by MrCynical on 13/09/2011 - 04:11

arto

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 19:55
At the price of the student edition PS is a complete bargain. LR is preferable for some things - non-destructive cropping, for example, and great built-in capture sharpening. But PS allows so much more, with its sophisticated layering, scope for targeted sharpening (including pretty useful native deconvolution sharpening) and local tonal and colour adjustment. And that's not to mention the sheer creative fun of all those layer blending possibilities.

Buy it, you won't regret it.
www.siskinpress.co.uk

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 20:56
Well I've just gone for the Amazon offer on CS5, which gave a discount of around 50%. So I can tell you that the licence for that allows for one copy at work and one at home, provided they are not both used at the same time.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.