Photography Show NEC 2019

dangie

Link Posted 11/02/2019 - 11:21
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
.....I would think that being at trade shows makes sense for them.

Agreed, but that's my point, they're not on the exhibitor list so I'm assuming they're not going to be there.
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

Unlocker

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 10:02
dangie wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Agreed, but that's my point, they're not on the exhibitor list so I'm assuming they're not going to be there.

According to a Facebook post, they have now confirmed that they are not attending, which I think is a bit of a shame really.

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

johnriley

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 10:31
Exhibition space is very expensive, so it may not fit in with this year's promotion budget. Sue and myself will be there on Sunday, somewhere, Sue will be the one assimilating all the freebies.......
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 10:45
Unlocker wrote:
dangie wrote:
Quote:

According to a Facebook post, they have now confirmed that they are not attending, which I think is a bit of a shame really.

If thatís true itís a b****y disgrace. What message is that sending out? I have been a staunch defender of this brand in the face of all those saying Pentax is dying on its feet but if they cannot attend the most important show in the U.K. with thousands of potential customers then I give up.
Last Edited by RobL on 13/03/2019 - 10:49

RobL

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 12:15
So the strategy is to spend money on fan events instead. That says to me they have given up trying to attract new customers and are focusing on retaining the ones they have; laudable to support loyal users but a last ditch defensive move which will inevitably lead to a dwindling market share. If I hadnít booked into an event I wouldnít bother now but while I am at TPS I may as well look at the Nikon stand. And maybe Fuji.
Last Edited by RobL on 13/03/2019 - 12:19

wvbarnes

Link Posted 13/03/2019 - 18:56
Given how long my K3II replacement may be I was hoping for a free clean and service like Olympus are apparently offering their long suffering fans
Bill

davidwozhere

Link Posted 14/03/2019 - 01:10
wvbarnes wrote:
Given how long my K3II replacement may be I was hoping for a free clean and service like Olympus are apparently offering their long suffering fans

Wonder if they would do my *istD, or maybe the DS ?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

BarryE

Link Posted 16/03/2019 - 18:37
I was planning to go, but even with a free ticket, I decided not to as there was no: Ricoh, no Adobe ( I wanted to ask a question about CS5 on Windows 10), no Zenfolio, but there were charities and clothes stalls and coffee places and many other peripheral stands Going the way of the high street. Guess the show's on the way out. Sad ...

RobL

Link Posted 16/03/2019 - 19:16
Having been today I didnít feel it was quite up to the same standard as before. Admittedly last time I went on a Sunday so maybe a bit more busy, but driving in there were no clear Photography Show signs pointing to car parks, just ďphotographyĒ on an illuminated sign with Bear Grylls Photography given equal prominence so a bit ambiguous. Before you could buy a car park ticket in a booth on the way in, now just ticket machines in the main building - £16.00 on the day! A bit less online beforehand. Stands were manned or womanned by sales staff with scant knowledge of their products - Loupedeck by a guy who knew absolutely nothing about Lightroom, Hasselblad by a woman who didnít know the basics, and so on. Notable absentees apart from Pentax were Leica and SRB who usually have good deals on filters.

On the plus side was the opportunity to compare products, I was interested in a Benro 3-way head but didnít like what I saw and came away with a really dinky Sirui 4-way head. Also plenty of special show deals so can be worth the outlay if you spend a bit.

I tried a couple of mirrorless bodies but still cannot warm to the overbright unrealistic viewfinders with minds of their own, in manual focus on a LUMIX a centre part has a zoom frame which came and went at random, ditto with focus points randomly jumping all over the place. And a lightweight mirrorless FF body felt very unbalanced by an average weight lens. How anyone can swop a decent DSLR for one of these is beyond me, they must be carried away by the tidal wave of pressure from Sony publicity and magazines.

I also stopped by Samyang, the guy gave the impression that Pentax mount lenses are on the way out, pointedly saying they had older lenses only in K mount. Mirrorless is where their future lies I guess.

Unless I have in mind a major purchase next year this may be my last visit.
Last Edited by RobL on 16/03/2019 - 19:22

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/03/2019 - 23:16
@RobL
TBH, your report unhappily confirms what I concluded after my last visit (2-3yrs ago IIRC) about the Pentax "presence" (or lack of it!) then, and thereafter - and what I felt about the staff on many of the stands (Ricoh/Pentax, or otherwise).

Next year's show may hopefully be better from the Pentax perspective - but I'm not holding out too many "hopes".
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 16/03/2019 - 23:17

RobL

Link Posted 17/03/2019 - 09:12
I was also interested to see the Sirui waterproof tripod and whilst it looked good technically and could easily be dismantled for cleaning it didnít feel stable enough and not in the same class as my trusty Manfrotto. Gitzo introduced a tiny table top ďtravelĒ tripod for heavier cameras but legs not extendable so could unbalance easily, also v. expensive. That is the real benefit of this show, being able to handle and assess kit you may be interested in, and buy at a special price if it works out.

I didnít bother much with cameras other than the couple I mentioned earlier but it was clear they were in a race to churn out new mirrorless bodies and lens ranges to suit, and the third party lens companies were doing the same. I wonder whether Ricoh decided they had little innovation to show in the Pentax range so would suffer in comparison, although the new GRIII could have been of interest. The massive push to mirrorless appears to be driven by giant electronics companies like Sony and Panasonic who have never been in the traditional SLR market; Fuji and Olympus with their compact body history embraced it early but are challenged by the drive to larger sensor formats. When it comes to larger formats the bodies feel unbalanced by the heavy lenses, the sizes of which are determined by the larger mounts. Handling them you take most of the weight in you left hand as holding the body in your right isnít enough to keep it level. Ergo manual focus is less easy to manage but these systems arenít designed for that, concentrating entirely on autofocus developments.

Sorry to rant on, I tried to find a mirrorless system I could like but they are a bit like when you get a new phone or laptop which has loads of features designed for a narrow and distinct demographic, you have to clear away all the crap to get something that works for you. If ever Pentax go mirrorless l hope they will call on their photographic heritage to bring out something different from the rest of the herd.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.