Photography adventure to polar bear capitol of the world??

amoringello

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 11:15
Anyone else get this email?

http://links.mkt1716.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MzM2ODM4NDUS1&r=Mjk0MjY4OTcxNAS2&j=NTM2OTM3MTQS1&mt=1&rt=0

Looks pretty cool, but you gotta wonder why the famous Pentaxian, pictured near the bottom, is using a Canon lens... OK, maybe not him, but that was my first impression. Still, could Pentax not find someone with a less prominent competing lens to paste on their brochure? Or perhaps, oh, I don't know... perhaps a PENTX lens?

ergh!

hefty1

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 11:49
I got the email but I hadn't actually noticed the lens until you pointed it out (being a bit of a font nerd I was mesmerised by the use of Copperplate Gothic in the title - that's may excuse anyway ).

Seems like Pentax Marketing, although improving, still aren't quite on the ball just yet...
Joining the Q

amoringello

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 12:04
I followed some of the links to see the biography of some of their pro photographers...
Although a nice web page, and I suppose with impressive information... why do they dhow a guy hanging from a mountain on ropes with a huge-arse silver lens, then show his gear as consisting of the latest all black lenses?

I don't know about anyone else, but it just feels of sleezy sales guys putting together a bunch of pretty photos with no cohesiveness. Basically I feel lied to. So the guy is using an old legacy prime lens (I hope, and it is not another brand again). Why not use that as an advantage to the marketing rather than hide it and try to pawn off new lenses (well obviously only the new lenses make Pentax any money.)

Sorry... still waiting for the K7 to get in the shop near me.
Pentax slurped up all the bodies allocated for local shops at the last moment and sent them all off to Amazon (well, at least they didn't tell the shop owners they were doing that... they just left them high and dry waiting for shipments). I still have no idea when actual bodies will come to the little guys so I can actually try one out. It all is just starting to piss me off.

Ahhh, I feel much better now.

Gwyn

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 13:08
We could have a Pentax User Meet in Winterpeg - I'm sure Don could put us all up

I didn't get the mail but if I had the cash lying around shouting spend me I would filling in the forms now instead writing here. It is something I have always wanted to do.

Don

Link Posted 24/07/2009 - 15:14
Well I'm a little disapointed... considering I have years of guiding experience in Canada's arctic, that nobody offered me a Job on this project!
lol
but heck yeah!! we could pitch some tents, and roast some marshmallows at my place!! (they get very hot, especially if you are one those people that lights them on fire...) so bring lots of Bailey's or Kahluha to dunk them in.... for safety reasons...ok?

Speaking of safety... I know some people here like thier hard liquors... I do not recommend dunking flaming molten sugar products into shots of single malt scotch...there will be explosions and you'll be turning my yard into some kind of tent hospital triage center... and while you're running around ttrying to put out your eyebrows, I will drink your scotch...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 24/07/2009 - 15:28

Classvino

Link Posted 29/07/2009 - 18:33
Don wrote:
...heck yeah!! we could pitch some tents, and roast some marshmallows at my place!! (they get very hot, especially if you are one those people that lights them on fire...) so bring lots of Bailey's or Kahluha to dunk them in.... for safety reasons...ok?

Speaking of safety... I know some people here like thier hard liquors... I do not recommend dunking flaming molten sugar products into shots of single malt scotch...there will be explosions and you'll be turning my yard into some kind of tent hospital triage center... and while you're running around ttrying to put out your eyebrows, I will drink your scotch...

Good thinking - adding that disclaimer - your insurance agent just breathed a huge sigh of relief - but now you'll need to buy your own scotch.

You might want to remind our European and American friends just what the average weather conditions are in Winnipeg in November before they start packing tents and such...
--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.