Photo Storage

lukeystan

Link Posted 24/09/2011 - 13:07
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/09/where-do-you-store-your-photos.html

This Canadian news agency is reporting that 4% of all photos ever taken are stored on Facebook. Pretty impressive.
K-r & MG with 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses, M 50mm f1.7 and M 135mm

Gwyn

Link Posted 24/09/2011 - 14:24
I bet a higher percentage are stored in shoe boxes .

Mine are stored on my computer and it's back up. I'm not a member of FB so I cant post photos there and I certainly wouldn't store them there.

johnriley

Link Posted 24/09/2011 - 14:29
I'm not a fan of online storage. If a company goes bust sometimes very little time is allowed to reclaim any images. You might not be able to get any of them because of the huge number of other users also wanting the same thing.

Better I think to make our own arrangments.
Best regards, John

aliengrove

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 04:20
I agree with John, I don't trust online storage. The Cloud is an apt name for online storage. Eventually it rains, and the cloud disappears.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 25/09/2011 - 04:21

greynolds999

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 07:31
No storage is 100% safe, but having a third (or fourth) backup online seems pretty sensible!
My Photobucket

ChrisR

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 09:22
Another vote for not having on line storage.

No one, I don’t know to upload images to web sites.

No two, I assume your images are available to everyone.

No three, what if the site where your images are stored, closes down.

I have my images stored on the computers inboard hard drive.

Plus copies on three external hard drives, I hope, as I don’t know how to check, but know a man that does.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 12:12
Oookay, so you're going to trust "important" photos to a disk which is likely to break down at any moment? You don't want / need to share them?

Not having at least three copies (preferably in RAW) of *anything* you value is pointless.

Not storing at least one copy offsite is even sillier.

Not checking that the backups still work occasionally is asking for trouble.

Not trusting a company - hmm, I can give some credit on that one, but that's the way things go.

I personally have at least two copies of everything with minimal exceptions. Of course most of my stuff's online - I share with my parents and others whom I trust and then publish what I feel is appropriate. Yes, I can get to private photos *if* I have the URL, but there's a line between "I'm paranoid" and "I want others to see what I've done".

None of the online backup sites really work for 'togs apart from the real photographer ones and they cost a fortune. Which is why something like 23hq - which doesn't overly compress or charge the earth - is worth treasuring.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

greynolds999

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 12:25
I pay £40 a year for LiveDrive. That's about 11p a day for peace of mind. I currently have about 140GB of files on there.

I'm not saying 100% that my files cannot be hacked, but they are not generally accessible and the copyright is very definitely mine.
My Photobucket

cabstar

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 12:46
Most of my important images are backed up & then backed up online on Flickr. I mark them private so are not viewable & if I am away from home & a client needs an image as has happened in the past I can download it & email it to them...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Mannesty

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 15:49
I've only recently started to use online photo sharing using flickr and only a small number on facebook. None of those online images is in hi-res and all have a copyright watermark because if it can be displayed on a web page, it can be stolen.

I would not trust my original image files with anyone other than myself. That way, if any gets lost I only have my own a*s to kick. Who's a*s would I kick if an online service lost them, as facebook did a short time ago for some users.

I keep my originals on my PC's hard drive and back up to a NAS system. This in turn is backud up onto 2 separate 2Tb external HDD's. The PC is backed up to a separate external 1Tb HDD, and to two 3.5" drives which are then confined to my fire safe.

I think that should be enough resilience to the most disastrous of disasters.

I used to use my NAS system, a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x 1Tb (2.7Tb usable) HDD's, to store the originals and to work from, but it was way too slow for me.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Frogherder

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 18:05
How far do you go down the backup route before paranoia sets in.

For example how many scan their important documents into PDF and store these off site or are they stuffed into a "shoebox" with everything else.

I suspect very few - so are photographs more important that eg insurance documents, birth/marriage certificates, medical cards, driving license etc etc etc?

Bernard

greynolds999

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 18:33
Frogherder wrote:
How far do you go down the backup route before paranoia sets in.

For example how many scan their important documents into PDF and store these off site or are they stuffed into a "shoebox" with everything else.

I suspect very few - so are photographs more important that eg insurance documents, birth/marriage certificates, medical cards, driving license etc etc etc?

Bernard

In a word, yes. Everything you mention above can be replaced. Photographs cannot.
My Photobucket

fatspider

Link Posted 25/09/2011 - 22:29
Online storage

I dont trust myself let alone anyone else

I lost quite a lot of images taken with my istD (about 75%) when a hard drive failed, I had them backed up on an external drive when I decided to wipe my PC and re-instal windows, all went well and I then copied my images back onto the PC, of course the back up drive threw a wobbly before I'd completed the transfer

Now I copy to a second drive in the PC and also to an external drive, any images I take on holiday are usually on my laptop too.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

gartmore

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 07:45
I have mine on two external drives both backed up to a WD worldbook 1TB drive and that backed up online too.

Getting back to the OP, a friend of my daughter had all her pictures of a school trip to China on facebook; her PC was stolen and, through no fault of hers, facebook closed her account. All pictures lost.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

womble

Link Posted 26/09/2011 - 11:15
Putting all one's eggs in one basket is dangerous whatever strategy one uses. I'm not sure it really matters what mixture of hard drives/DVDs/on-line storage etc. one uses as long as there are multiple copies in several locations which are regularly updated.

The one advantage of online storage as one of those places is the ability to access them from various locations. If you move about quite a bit (as I often do) having an online filestore can be a great help.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.